No announcement yet.

Moving towards no-haggle fixed pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda dealers aren't resellers anymore though - that's what you're missing. Honda owns the cars, not the dealers. If Honda doesn't want to give you a discount on the car it is selling to you, it doesn't have to.

Comment

So having worked with this it is probably the worst iteration I have seen on how to sell a car.

First Honda came to us in July 2020 advising I.T companies and Dealers they are working on something. Feb 2021 they come up to everyone and say this is what we have built and you have until July 1st to build it. you look through the process and it was missing so much, it has had 7 iterations so far and counting. but that is what you get when the people driving the bus don't know the fundamentals of driving. but over all, it's now running, people are upset look at the likes of Astoria honda who are taking Honda to court about it all.

in regards to MB, they already run an agency model for their electronic vehicles and are just migrating the rest over in 2022.

Toyota does it in NZ, and their whole Mytoyota platform is a shift to go agency in the future and why they went out and purchased a dealer management system to try and make their life easier in regards to data etc. look at the recent online only/fixed price sales of the supra/Yaris GR

There are multiple manufactures looking to go this route soon, I have had 3 meetings last week discussing it. all in their own little versions etc. and I can understand why. Dealerships rip the OEM's off so much, people who have worked in a dealership will understand the end of month times. essentially dealers will not put orders through or will put through on the basis of making KPI's, dealers get rebates and will do what it takes to double-dip etc. in the end all these little loopholes etc had to be closed. and what better way than going agency model. atm it is starting off with car's but eventually will move into other products like Parts etc with one manufacture planning to rollout direct ship/supply from warehouse in 2022-2025 (don't know if covid put them behind schedule)

once this takes place, also panel shops etc will suffer as prices being fixed at RRP or Trade you won't see massive discounts, so most likely the import of items will become a massive market and whoever can supply these panel shops at a good price aka all crash parts will grow in business.

Anyway, it is a good discussion

also remember coming soon we won't be purchasing cars simply leasing/hiring/subscriptions

Last edited by ROBAPHENT; 27-07-21, 09:18 AM.
      CISCOKIDS
      The Gentlemen's Club
      Midnight Rocker

Comment

In regards to my thoughts behind it for honda? i don't see them lasting much longer they blew their budget building the system, burnt the developer's bridge by poaching the staff from it. there system is more complex then it needs to be this shows me there was not much research done there end to make sure everything process-wise was thought about.

as said others, not much is available in terms of decent vehicles for the price. the odyssey is probably a decent vehicle but with Toyota/Hyundai and Kia all offering vans now that don't drive like a 30-year-old hiace. the market is more competitive. the CRV/HRV are to close spec wise to each other but why would you bother with what Mazda/Hyundai and Kia have to offer. they shit all over it.
        CISCOKIDS
        The Gentlemen's Club
        Midnight Rocker

Comment

I guess that the Honda experiment is a bit useless to us ... we might never know if switching to this model would improve revenues of a companies' sales organisation, because the company doing it (first) is already left without saleable product.
          If they go down, it won't necessarily be because of using this pricing/sales model ... and adding to that, it sounds like they under-planned &/or under-project-managed the implementation of the system to do the selling.
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

I noticed the massive Honda dealership down the road from my place gone recently.

Its now a massive Subaru dealership.

No interest in buying as Honda anyway, like you all say they don't even make anything that interesting these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
              I guess that the Honda experiment is a bit useless to us ... we might never know if switching to this model would improve the revenues of a companies' sales organisation because the company doing it (first) is already left without saleable product.
              If they go down, it won't necessarily be because of using this pricing/sales model ... and adding to that, it sounds like they are under-planned &/or under-project-managed the implementation of the system to do the selling.
              The biggest thing that got me was, you can build the car all online. then you need to go into a dealer to pay for it, that dealer then needs to go back online and either find your car build or rebuilt it. then they have to go to their internal system re-key that data (Honda called it the swivel chair process) to then take payment, you then need to re-enter that information back into the honda system and Honda was fine with that.

there is no back and forth integration, simply we built it as a company and the other dealer systems did to simply remove the swivel chair, Honda has no intention of us talking back to them so data will always have to be re keyd.

The majority of this could have been fixed by simply making the payments online using any e-commerce system (salesforce for example) then all that would have to come through would be the customer/vehicle sales information so the dealer knew what accessories to fit to the car. saving heaps of time and effort of double handling and that would have also allowed online payment so a customer would not have to come in at all.

on the note of accessories, Honda's platform will only be allowing Honda accessories so dealers can no longer sell aftermarket unless it is fitted at first service. so i can see Dealers using trade-in vehicles and accessories as the way to entice customers to buy via them.

CISCOKIDS
              The Gentlemen's Club
              Midnight Rocker

Comment

Originally posted by LB-XP View Post
                I noticed the massive Honda dealership down the road from my place gone recently.

Its now a massive Subaru dealership.

No interest in buying as Honda anyway, like you all say they don't even make anything that interesting these days.
                That must be Plenty Rd - I went there to drive Type R and they had one demo , they were talking to me as if they were doing me a favour and test drive was out of the question .I followed up with Honda Doncaster and they were just as bad . Wanted me to me to commit to a price before test drive , lol . I ordered GR Yaris after that .

Comment

This is all about $$$, Merc tried some marketing bullshit about how it delivers better outcomes for consumers that don't have negotiating skills but it's complete bs. In my opinion Merc were following precedence set in the luxury watch market which is all about protecting the brand image. If certain dealers discounted products they were culled, this is the same play it's all about maximising the sale price for the vehicles. In the case of Honda they've culled the network which was probably also some dealers saying fuck off we don't want to be part of this.

If any were true to their word the prices would have dropped slightly from previous RRP representing a margin of discount that was available on the products. Inflation might not be showing in CPI but it is very much apparent in new car pricing and these models will deliver poorer outcomes for consumers.
                  If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                    If any were true to their word the prices would have dropped slightly from previous RRP representing a margin of discount that was available on the products.
                    On that topic, and sample of one ...
                    pre-July Civic VTi-S Auto: $27300 +orc
                    post-July Civic VTi-S Auto: $31k drive-away

I'm pretty sure onroad costs for our Commode, which was twice the RRP, weren't nearly $4k.
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

They probably were. Usual $1100 dealer delivery + $1k rego + 3% stamp duty. On road costs on a $27k Civic would be about $3k.

Comment

I rang the Honda dealer here in Adelaide that has always been my go to for genuine parts. They have consistently been the biggest dealer here. They no longer sell Honda parts. I assume they have pulled the pin on the brand entirely.

Comment

i imagine the options selling girls at dealers are going to be hotter with ming tints flying off the shelves now

Comment

Astoria Honda has been shut up by Honda HQ they were the biggest and oldest in Melbourne and have taken legal action against Honda

As for agency model customers think dealers have heaps of $ in the car, they don't some are into hold back on driveaway pricing.

At least it will take the 'best price' out of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

Under the Honda model, Honda itself (not the dealers) own all the cars in stock. So the dealer would need to find some other way to give you that $490. I guess they could outright give you cash back themselves?
                              out here stealerships are real shy on giving discounts of the sticker price, the only real haggling to be done is for extra's like floor mats/window tint/insurance/rego/tank of fuel etc etc.

I paid sticker for my Ranger minus the tier 1 supplier discount (was about 6k off from memory), so that was a Ford discount... then haggled with the dealeship to get tints/mats/insurance/rego/tub liner/tank of fuel... as the dealership discount.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by Sumodog View Post

That must be Plenty Rd - I went there to drive Type R and they had one demo , they were talking to me as if they were doing me a favour and test drive was out of the question .I followed up with Honda Doncaster and they were just as bad . Wanted me to me to commit to a price before test drive , lol . I ordered GR Yaris after that .
                                Yep, that's the one! Plenty road Honda long gone. Where is the Honda dealer in Doncaster? I work over there and not even noticed it haha.

You did the right thing buying buying a GR Yaris over any Honda. Nice one!

Comment

Working...
                                X