Moving towards no-haggle fixed pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    I reckon Toyota's gamble on that doesn't lock them into it. Every other manufacturer (maybe except for Tesla who'll be overtaken as an EV car manufacturer pretty quickly once the real car manufacturers get serious) gets batteries from a third party, Toyota just needs to replace their fuel-cell with a Samsung battery & bango-bingo they've caught up.

Toyota just needs to replace their fuel-cell with a Panasonic battery & bango-bingo they've caught up ( Fixed :-) )

Comment

Originally posted by Sumodog View Post
      Toyota just needs to replace their fuel-cell with a Panasonic battery & bango-bingo they've caught up ( Fixed :-) )
      I nearly said Hitachi … I didn’t actually have a clue.
      Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumodog View Post

I nearly said Hitachi … I didn’t actually have a clue.
        *cough

Was announced 22 Jan 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyota-Panasonic-Prismatic-battery.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	7277103
        "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

GM tried the fixed price new car thing with Saturn starting in 1990. They found it worked very well when they had limited models/opions. Part of the sales model included how they did the physical sales site, most dealerships were tradional setups but they could also setup shopfronts for sales only, think the Oldsmobile dealer in the shopping mall in Blues Brothers. Basically the idea was to cater for people who view a car as simple an appliance, along the same lines as a microwave/fridge etc.
          And in that context it works, but if you start adding choices then it becomes a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
            GM tried the fixed price new car thing with Saturn starting in 1990. They found it worked very well when they had limited models/opions. Part of the sales model included how they did the physical sales site, most dealerships were tradional setups but they could also setup shopfronts for sales only, think the Oldsmobile dealer in the shopping mall in Blues Brothers. Basically the idea was to cater for people who view a car as simple an appliance, along the same lines as a microwave/fridge etc.
            And in that context it works, but if you start adding choices then it becomes a hassle.
            Which is interesting, because Mercedes-Benz is primarily an options-list generating company, and any vehicles they may happen to sell as a result are mere side-effects (the proceeds of that being poured back into the process of generating more options lists).
            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

I don't see how adding options makes a difference - it's still the price of the car is $X, options are $Y and $Z, here's your total bill, like it or piss off?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
                I don't see how adding options makes a difference - it's still the price of the car is $X, options are $Y and $Z, here's your total bill, like it or piss off?
                I don't know, and was hoping irsa76 might be able to expand on whatever problems they had with Saturn, but I assumed the issue was something like the whole sales process slowing-down due to the fact that after ticking a few options on your Civic VTi-S it's suddenly more expensive than the VTi-L and the buyer then says "oh" and either buggers off or reverses the process and adds a few options to the VTi-L after which they see it's more than the RS ... and lots of stuffing-about or buyer trepidation.
                But that was just guessworkery ... irsa76 do you know what the problems were? Was it just something that better electronic pricing & equipment catalogues would fix in modern times, stuff like not being able to order the moon-roof & sun-roof at the same time?

Comment

I remember reading that people liked the Saturn buying experience, but GM of course wanted to get owners to upgrade to it's traditional brands (presumably better margins) but that meant owners going to traditional dealerships, which put people off the whole thing.
                  Originally posted by ALLMTR
                  Yes but more power is the solution, even if lack of power isn't the problem...

Comment

I don't know, and was hoping irsa76 might be able to expand on whatever problems they had with Saturn, but I assumed the issue was something like the whole sales process slowing-down due to the fact that after ticking a few options on your Civic VTi-S it's suddenly more expensive than the VTi-L and the buyer then says "oh" and either buggers off or reverses the process and adds a few options to the VTi-L after which they see it's more than the RS ... and lots of stuffing-about or buyer trepidation.
                    But that was just guessworkery ... irsa76 do you know what the problems were? Was it just something that better electronic pricing & equipment catalogues would fix in modern times, stuff like not being able to order the moon-roof & sun-roof at the same time?
                    Ordering a Porsche online would be a headfuck

option B24 cant be had with option H88 unless option D14 + option D19 are ticked but if you select option W61 you get B24 with H88 etc, etc
                    Originally posted by Jim
                    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

option B24 cant be had with option H88 unless option D14 + option D19 are ticked but if you select option W61 you get B24 with H88 etc, etc
                      That's pretty much every german car I've specced online.
                      If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

A decent UI makes that stuff fine.

Comment

whoa whoa hang on there
                          Originally posted by Jim
                          I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                          What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Since my latest project is all about this online sales experience.

i did an audit of pretty much every manufacture in aust, their UK/USA counter part and then their home country websites. and some of the car builders are shit. but others including the Truck ones are excellent. just simple almost like your building something in Forza/GT etc. nice graphics, what you need to see and so on.
                            CISCOKIDS
                            The Gentlemen's Club
                            Midnight Rocker

Comment

Originally posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
                              Since my latest project is all about this online sales experience.

i did an audit of pretty much every manufacture in aust, their UK/USA counter part and then their home country websites. and some of the car builders are shit. but others including the Truck ones are excellent. just simple almost like your building something in Forza/GT etc. nice graphics, what you need to see and so on.
                              Pfft, there you go with your high and mighty schemes of making it easier to buy a car

On another note. Rumor is Ford USA won' have dealer stock. Everything is going build to order. It's not just because they don't have items to finish vehicles off at the moment either, this is from pretty soonish until forever

It seems that gone are the days of walking into a yard, looking at inventory and haggling, unless your buying a Honda when they realise their fuck up and leave Australia
                              "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Pfft, there you go with your high and mighty schemes of making it easier to buy a car

On another note. Rumor is Ford USA won' have dealer stock. Everything is going build to order. It's not just because they don't have items to finish vehicles off at the moment either, this is from pretty soonish until forever

It seems that gone are the days of walking into a yard, looking at inventory and haggling, unless your buying a Honda when they realise their fuck up and leave Australia
                                is ford having no dealer stock or are ford holding stock and the dealers pull from that stock? that is what honda is doing. dealers will not hold stock but be able to pull from Honda stock.
                                CISCOKIDS
                                The Gentlemen's Club
                                Midnight Rocker

Comment

Working...
                                X