• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROBAPHENT
    replied
    Originally posted by mizone View Post

Def lock-down and lack of stock

I think we'll need to look at the 18-24 month results and compare them to 2019
    They will probably be out of the market by then

Leave a comment:

• mizone
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    First month of the fixed price model for Honda and sales are down 62.6% on last July. Its aim was to sell 1650 cars a month this way and it sold 822.

Teething problems with the model and a Sydney lockdown won't have helped (overall NSW sales down 1.7%), but that's not looking good.
    Def lock-down and lack of stock

I think we'll need to look at the 18-24 month results and compare them to 2019

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Slow
    replied
    First month of the fixed price model for Honda and sales are down 62.6% on last July. Its aim was to sell 1650 cars a month this way and it sold 822.

Teething problems with the model and a Sydney lockdown won't have helped (overall NSW sales down 1.7%), but that's not looking good.

Leave a comment:

• irsa76
    replied
    Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    I don't know, and was hoping irsa76 might be able to expand on whatever problems they had with Saturn, but I assumed the issue was something like the whole sales process slowing-down due to the fact that after ticking a few options on your Civic VTi-S it's suddenly more expensive than the VTi-L and the buyer then says "oh" and either buggers off or reverses the process and adds a few options to the VTi-L after which they see it's more than the RS ... and lots of stuffing-about or buyer trepidation.
    But that was just guessworkery ... irsa76 do you know what the problems were? Was it just something that better electronic pricing & equipment catalogues would fix in modern times, stuff like not being able to order the moon-roof & sun-roof at the same time?
    Remember we're talking 30 years ago, GM was still doing paper vehicle orders well into this century, which had to be manually entered into the prehistoric computer order system.

The issue with Saturn wasn't so much the no haggle pricing, it was more a case the way the whole business model was set up meant that any variation from set combinations caused too many dramas.
    The business model intended yout to have a choice of a SL1 manual, SL1 auto or an SL2 auto, 1 engine, 5 or 6 colours, with only a couple metallic because of plastic body skin, 1 trim colour and that was it. I think the SL1 listed A/C as an option but that was it. The coupe and wagon models were the same, 2 trims, 2 transmissions, 1 engine, a couple of colours and that was it. Like I said, GM literally wanted to sell them like they were an appliance.
    The ultimate idea was to have multiple sales only outlets in a region run by franchise holders, with cars being held in a GM controlled holding yard until sold.
    Ultimately I suspect the reason why Saturn and the no haggle price thing failed wasn't because of the business model, or even buyer pushback rather I feel the dealers made sure it failed because they ultimately had no say in how they sold the cars. I've seen plenty of situations where the dealer has inflated the price because the customer has nfi, likewise I've seen dealers literally cut their own throats and sell a car as a loss* to make a sale.

*When I say a loss they don't actually loose money, they might have sold the car for what it cost them, or even less, but there's likely a factory incentive to move cars at the end of the month.

Huge option lists wouldn't effect the no haggle price because option prices are set by the manufacturer anyway.

Leave a comment:

• mizone
    replied
    Originally posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    is ford having no dealer stock or are ford holding stock and the dealers pull from that stock?
    From what I've read my understanding is - Dealers won't have stock in the yard, you rock up to the dealer and go through an option sheet. Everything is built to order

Edit : It's online in the public domain-> https://jalopnik.com/ford-wants-to-m...o-o-1847408302

Leave a comment:

• ROBAPHENT
    replied
    Originally posted by mizone View Post

Pfft, there you go with your high and mighty schemes of making it easier to buy a car

On another note. Rumor is Ford USA won' have dealer stock. Everything is going build to order. It's not just because they don't have items to finish vehicles off at the moment either, this is from pretty soonish until forever

It seems that gone are the days of walking into a yard, looking at inventory and haggling, unless your buying a Honda when they realise their fuck up and leave Australia
    is ford having no dealer stock or are ford holding stock and the dealers pull from that stock? that is what honda is doing. dealers will not hold stock but be able to pull from Honda stock.

Leave a comment:

• mizone
    replied
    Originally posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    Since my latest project is all about this online sales experience.

i did an audit of pretty much every manufacture in aust, their UK/USA counter part and then their home country websites. and some of the car builders are shit. but others including the Truck ones are excellent. just simple almost like your building something in Forza/GT etc. nice graphics, what you need to see and so on.
    Pfft, there you go with your high and mighty schemes of making it easier to buy a car

On another note. Rumor is Ford USA won' have dealer stock. Everything is going build to order. It's not just because they don't have items to finish vehicles off at the moment either, this is from pretty soonish until forever

It seems that gone are the days of walking into a yard, looking at inventory and haggling, unless your buying a Honda when they realise their fuck up and leave Australia

Leave a comment:

• ROBAPHENT
    replied
    Since my latest project is all about this online sales experience.

i did an audit of pretty much every manufacture in aust, their UK/USA counter part and then their home country websites. and some of the car builders are shit. but others including the Truck ones are excellent. just simple almost like your building something in Forza/GT etc. nice graphics, what you need to see and so on.

Leave a comment:

• perthdrivers.txt
    replied
    whoa whoa hang on there

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    Ordering a Porsche online would be a headfuck

option B24 cant be had with option H88 unless option D14 + option D19 are ticked but if you select option W61 you get B24 with H88 etc, etc
    A decent UI makes that stuff fine.

Leave a comment:

• Rona
    replied
    Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

option B24 cant be had with option H88 unless option D14 + option D19 are ticked but if you select option W61 you get B24 with H88 etc, etc
    That's pretty much every german car I've specced online.

Leave a comment:

• perthdrivers.txt
    replied
    Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    I don't know, and was hoping irsa76 might be able to expand on whatever problems they had with Saturn, but I assumed the issue was something like the whole sales process slowing-down due to the fact that after ticking a few options on your Civic VTi-S it's suddenly more expensive than the VTi-L and the buyer then says "oh" and either buggers off or reverses the process and adds a few options to the VTi-L after which they see it's more than the RS ... and lots of stuffing-about or buyer trepidation.
    But that was just guessworkery ... irsa76 do you know what the problems were? Was it just something that better electronic pricing & equipment catalogues would fix in modern times, stuff like not being able to order the moon-roof & sun-roof at the same time?

Leave a comment:

• S_E
    replied
    I remember reading that people liked the Saturn buying experience, but GM of course wanted to get owners to upgrade to it's traditional brands (presumably better margins) but that meant owners going to traditional dealerships, which put people off the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    I don't see how adding options makes a difference - it's still the price of the car is $X, options are $Y and $Z, here's your total bill, like it or piss off?

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Slow
    replied
    I don't see how adding options makes a difference - it's still the price of the car is $X, options are $Y and $Z, here's your total bill, like it or piss off?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X