Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home mill and lathe options? Halfco the go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseBiscuits View Post
    Long time lurker here:

I have a AL-960B (an older version anyway) and a HM-48 Mill. Both work well for small work. Dont expect to be taking Abom style cuts and you'll be fine. My HM-48 (essentially a HM-46 with DRO and powered Z-axis) leaks a bit of gearbox oil through the spindle. This guy does a reasonable write-up on changing the bearings and seals to fix the issue: http://www.graetech.com/index.pub_files/Page878.htm

Get a DRO for both machines if you can.

As Takai said, you'll spend a decent chunk on tooling for both. I personally mainly use carbide insert tooling rather than HSS. You can pick up some reasonable stuff from banggood / aliexpress, however the quality of course wont be as good as sandvik/name brand stuff.

The other expense is measuring equipment - you'll want some digital calipers, a dial test indicator and an indicator at a minimum.

Enjoy
    Thanks for that link. I suspect ill have to do a seal and bearing replacement on my RF45 clone as well, while it has been sitting it is leaking the ISO68 out of the spindle (and motor), so really needs a good going over and cleaning up.
    Chris
    ------
    The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Yeah I have a 25-150mm micrometer set, internal bore set, dial gauge/base & digital calliper. I was fortunate I was still at NMI when I bought the micro set, one of the dimensional team did an informal calibration for me so I have some correction data if going for tight absolute tolerance and general confidence in the gear.

We actually did HSS tool prep in the tafe thing, I think it's tungsten for most stuff and HSS if you need to make an odd shape or are chasing surface finish if you have more skill than me.
      Last edited by Slides; 16-09-21, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I have 2 of their machines, BM-90HV mill and GHD-55G Drill.
        I have a small mill also but never use it as the big mill cuts much nicer as its very rigid. Can't remember the brands of the Lathes but one was a Repco deal years ago and the 6 tonne unit was from an auction. All a bit silly for the home shed but great to have.

GURU Motorsport ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Comment

i brought my AL60 from them over 15 years ago and its still going, the mill comes in handy even tho the bed is not huge... i would buy another one no problems at all
          im a cunt
          and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

I also have an AL60, has been great. Sometimes a touch on the small side but perfect for making little bushes, washers and random things. Also got the little mill that attaches to the back of the AL-60 lathe (Sieg X2 style / size machine) and uses the lathe slides as the table, its pretty rubbish at anything other than drilling holes. But it was cheap.

Hare and Forbes were great to deal with, broke a few parts on the mill early on (feed lock mechanism and plastic drive gear for motor) and they replaced them quickly and without any fuss.

Comment

If you have the room, power - and not in any immediate rush, I'd wait for something industrial to pop up at an auction. The mainland Chinese made hafcos at least, all seem clunky in engaging feeds, etc, I feel compared to proper machinery.

Don't know what happens up your way in Boolaroo, but often see good machine tools come up there every few months.

Comment

I bought an AL336 lathe & HM50 mill about 15 years ago and still regularly use them for making & fixing 'stuff'. Dont read too much into some of the online stuff that rubbishes the quality - they aren't perfect, but good enough for 99% of the car related stuff I'd ever do with them. Remember they are big & heavy and are a pita when moving house.
                Also remember that the machines are just the start - then you can go down the rabbit hole of tooling and accessories....

Comment

I've got an AL320G and an MH28v. Can't tell you much as I am still in the process of setting them up.

Would have loved bigger machines but space and budget meant these where the best suited to my requirements.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Comment

Originally posted by dave1600 View Post
                    I also have an AL60, has been great. Sometimes a touch on the small side but perfect for making little bushes, washers and random things. Also got the little mill that attaches to the back of the AL-60 lathe (Sieg X2 style / size machine) and uses the lathe slides as the table, its pretty rubbish at anything other than drilling holes. But it was cheap.

Hare and Forbes were great to deal with, broke a few parts on the mill early on (feed lock mechanism and plastic drive gear for motor) and they replaced them quickly and without any fuss.
                    man i have made a lot of shit using that mill... it is small but it does work well when you true it all up square etc.
                    im a cunt

Comment

Maybe its operator error, or maybe its using cheap tools. It just doesn't seem to work for me unless I take a maximum of about 1/2 a thou off at a time. I've also managed to break the plastic gear in the motor drive a few times - last time I replaced it with a metal gear which seems to be holding up..

Comment

ive smashed 3 or 4 gears, i keep 10 spares lol
                        im a cunt

Comment

My heavy gear all came from Industrial Auctions, Saved about $50000.
                          GURU Motorsport ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Comment

Is it worth shelling out for a cold cut circular or band saw or not worth the cost over a regular drop saw? I like the idea of quiet operation and not generating dust and sparks but they seem to be a fair bit more than a drop saw?

Comment

Originally posted by Slides View Post
                              Is it worth shelling out for a cold cut circular or band saw or not worth the cost over a regular drop saw? I like the idea of quiet operation and not generating dust and sparks but they seem to be a fair bit more than a drop saw?
                              Horizontal bandsaw is an absolutely life changing piece of workshop equipment. Quiet cutting, very little blade deflection, set and forget. Just works.

I wish i had bought one much much sooner.
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Slides View Post
                                Depends on the bulk of the work/material you are doing.

I sold my cold cut saw as it wasn't getting used enough to justify the floor space.
                                It didn't like thin wall large OD tube, would catch teeth etc if not clamped perfectly, which happened a lot. Depth of cut is also an issue on say 4" tube.

if making precise straight or angle cuts in nicely clamped lengths of straight tube, cold saw is awesome. Say square rhs and roll cage CDW tube.

Band saw can do everything OK
                                Cold cut does some things amazing, others not at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X