Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home mill and lathe options? Halfco the go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah thinking of large diameter exhaust or other small section solid stuff to spin on the lathe or cut out on the mill. Had the dropping band saw at a mine site, was pretty good but wasn'tsure about relative cut quality. I'm guessing the answer is high speed abrasive wheel is still the cleanest cut but you deal with the dust and sparks. The bandsaws are definitely better for size of material.

Comment

Originally posted by Slides View Post
      Yeah thinking of large diameter exhaust or other small section solid stuff to spin on the lathe or cut out on the mill. Had the dropping band saw at a mine site, was pretty good but wasn'tsure about relative cut quality. I'm guessing the answer is high speed abrasive wheel is still the cleanest cut but you deal with the dust and sparks. The bandsaws are definitely better for size of material.
      High speed abrasives deflect far more than a bandsaw. That is one of the advantages of a cold cut saw in that the steel blade deflects far less than an abrasive one. Fine for quick and rough cuts, but bandsaws are able to give well finished cuts at the expense of time.

Large diameter exhaust and solid sections are perfect candidates for the bandsaw. The biggest disadvantages of the bandsaw are time and portability.
      Last edited by takai; 20-09-21, 12:42 PM.
      Chris
      ------
      The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I have a wall in the shed two bays deep that will be for lathe/mill/saw so that should be fine.

Comment

I have a wall in the shed two bays deep that will be for lathe/mill/saw so that should be fine.
          Yeah, more talking generally about why abrasive and cold cut saws are still popular. Dont really want a bandsaw on site (although the newer portable bandsaws are pretty popular these days), and a big shop doesnt want to be waiting for a bandsaw to cut something with mm tolerances when 5mm would do.
          Chris
          ------
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

+1 on the bandsaw. I have one of those little 4x6 units and its great. If you're cutting thin wall section just get a blade with a higher tooth count.

Comment

Here you go, nearby and a lesser brother to the Chippie a few pages back https://www.grays.com/lot/0019-50459...g-centre-lathe it'll bring more than a new chinese lathe probably though!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseBiscuits View Post
                +1 on the bandsaw. I have one of those little 4x6 units and its great. If you're cutting thin wall section just get a blade with a higher tooth count.
                +1

They are the bees knees for making exhausts and intercooler piping and you can cut anything with one.
                Second only to a cold cut saw but they are proper money and they are picky with thin wall pipe and the right blade. Band saw with a coarse blade works well on everything.
                Last edited by dnegative; 20-09-21, 05:36 PM.

Comment

If you get a 6x4 (or the pivot 5x7) then there are some good mods for it here: http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm

One thing i would recommend is upgrading to a hydraulic downfeed, which I am planning on doing to mine over the summer based off the Grizzly version of my unit:
                  Chris
                  ------

Comment

Thanks again gents.

Comment

Originally posted by gxxr View Post
                      Here you go, nearby and a lesser brother to the Chippie a few pages back https://www.grays.com/lot/0019-50459...g-centre-lathe it'll bring more than a new chinese lathe probably though!
                      That’s a decent unit, looks well used. Good home size.

Comment

Originally posted by dnegative View Post

+1

They are the bees knees for making exhausts and intercooler piping and you can cut anything with one.
                        Second only to a cold cut saw but they are proper money and they are picky with thin wall pipe and the right blade. Band saw with a coarse blade works well on everything.
                        I think you've got that back to front mate.

You need minimum teeth engagement for the TPI count

1.2mm tube with 10TPI blade is a no bueno

Comment

Thin blade with lots of teeth will work for everything. Will just be slower in this material.
                          Chris
                          ------

Comment

IMO if I was to buy another I would get something like this,

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B063V

Thicker / taller blade gives a lot less cutting deflection and I like how the cutting piece is supported by the metal stop thing on the other side of the vice / clamp. I think it would help a lot to prevent the piece being moved with the cutting action of the blade. I reckon this would help the blade last a little longer too as you get some weird harmonics / vibration when cutting despite what cutting fluid and speed being used.

I had the BS7L before and if I was going to buy another in the future I would save for the linked unit.

Comment

Originally posted by [RX3] View Post

IMO if I was to buy another I would get something like this,

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B063V

Thicker / taller blade gives a lot less cutting deflection and I like how the cutting piece is supported by the metal stop thing on the other side of the vice / clamp. I think it would help a lot to prevent the piece being moved with the cutting action of the blade. I reckon this would help the blade last a little longer too as you get some weird harmonics / vibration when cutting despite what cutting fluid and speed being used.

I had the BS7L before and if I was going to buy another in the future I would save for the linked unit.
                              After not putting a T56 in the rx7 and just going with a gearset which I will probably end up replacing next year I have been trying to go with buy once, cry once with most things. A bit more than I was hoping to spend on a saw but realistically cutting intake and exhaust pipe will be a fair bit of the work if I turbo a few shitboxes.

Comment

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B062V

Non dual mitre might be a good option for you too as its a bit cheaper, albeit on sale.

Comment

Working...
                                X