Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD Working OS

Originally posted by Sicarius123
    Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man :p

Have you spent anytime there in the past ?

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fondles View Post
      Have you spent anytime there in the past ?
      i was about to ask the same thing. In case you havent i doubt you'll want to visit there again let alone work there after your first trip.
      RB26......................Again

Comment

Fuck that.

Comment

Another vote for fuck that....

But in terms of tax, a lot depends on the type of work, and how you will be paid and by who.

The 180 day off shore tax shit went away a long time ago, it now depends on whether you meet the requirements of being a resident for tax purposes.

In my case, I work in Indonesia, last year for nine months over the year, this year will probably be the same, but pay Australian tax.

I am also set up as a Pty ltd company, so it will be slightly different than a normal salaried person.

This is because I am contracted through an Australian company and paid from Australia into Australian bank account. It's easier for me to do it this way, and ultimately cheaper for me.

When I had the contract in the Philippines, I was still classified as an Australian resident for tax purposes, the only difference was I didn't have to pay GST to the ATO as I was paid directly by the Philippines branch if the company, not through Australia.

You also have to careful that you don't get hit with tax from both countries too.

Best to talk to your accountant about it after you look at the ATO site. Here is a link for tax residency....

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/I...tax-residency/

Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you don't want ATO to ream you, you will have to pay AU taxes. Unless you are able to show you are away for 183(?) days a year to not incur tax.

**Not a tax person

Comment

Nah, the 183 days away thing ended years ago.

Basically if you are being paid in India by Indian company in Indian bank account and pay indian taxes and Australia has a tax treaty with India then you may just pay indian taxes if the ATO considers you a non resident for tax purpose. If no treaty you can end up paying indian and Australian taxes if you are considered an Australian resident for tax purposes.

You need to determine how ATO will treat you as a tax resident first to then work out how you go from there.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good advice above...

I would be hesitant based on the lifestyle alone. If you can get a free flight over to see what the day to day might look like then that'd be a beneficial exercise. India isn't for everyone....
                Find your Freedom
                Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
                www.FreedomFunding.com.au
                www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
                If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Originally posted by Bosshoggett
                  If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

It really depends where the expats are based. I haven't been to India, but certainly my fair share of "developing" countries and they can be tolerable if gated communities are provided with minimal travel time. Sometimes even just the local living conditions are quite nice in certain areas.

Tax wise PLX is bang on the money, not needing to double up on tax if you've already paid it in a manner which suits Indian tax laws.
                    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

my comment earlier is based on 4 trips over the last 5 years all of which have been around a week in duration. Even if you could find a gated community to your liking I just cant see any appeal to living over there unless your getting paid C level money plus big yearly bonuses.
                      RB26......................Again

Comment

My comment is based on 3 weeks at a time about 5 or 6 times so a reasonable chunk in total. Would want to be at least double my wage here + living expenses, flights home etc for me to even consider it.

Comment

Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man :p

Comment

I do a lot of business in India - have both employees and clients there. The scale of things happening there are huge thus opportunities are great. If you have the dollars the lifestyle is pretty good. However I would initially be skeptical working for a unknown or smaller company (startup world littered with unpaid staff left stranded). I also know of many expats who have moved for few years there and most got top taxation and package advice from someone like PWC to cover themselves (healthcare/insurance/living conditions& standards/travel back home/leave/additional allowance etc etc). India no longer is cheap place to to live/rent - I pay more in office rent in Mumbai than in Sydney. Bureaucracy will frustrate you from get go - simple things like opening a bank account to finding a rental place - larger companies would have support around to assist you in all those aspects.
                            If there is anything specific you want looked at like research background of company you joining etc feel free to PM me and ill get someone to do that.

Comment

Thanks mate. PM sent

Originally posted by 200 View Post
                              I do a lot of business in India - have both employees and clients there. The scale of things happening there are huge thus opportunities are great. If you have the dollars the lifestyle is pretty good. However I would initially be skeptical working for a unknown or smaller company (startup world littered with unpaid staff left stranded). I also know of many expats who have moved for few years there and most got top taxation and package advice from someone like PWC to cover themselves (healthcare/insurance/living conditions& standards/travel back home/leave/additional allowance etc etc). India no longer is cheap place to to live/rent - I pay more in office rent in Mumbai than in Sydney. Bureaucracy will frustrate you from get go - simple things like opening a bank account to finding a rental place - larger companies would have support around to assist you in all those aspects.
                              If there is anything specific you want looked at like research background of company you joining etc feel free to PM me and ill get someone to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X