Car detailing / ceramic coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
    Depends on a lot of factors but on a car that is garaged and kept out of the elements I’d expect it to last in between 5 and 7 years. Closer to 7.
    Hmmm ... that is sounding positive.

There’s also ways to prolong the life in terms of the way you wash it and dry it.
    I've been using the fancy microfibre thingies for both washing & the drying-cloths since you did the Commode when it was new ... we ended up getting it ceramic coated as part of an insurance claim about a year ago, and I've been happy with how easy it is to clean.
    BUT ... I can't work out how people can blow-dry their cars. I've tried it with a leaf-blower, and yeah it dried, but it left snail-trails, I had to re-wet & use the drying towels (which suck at drying compare to the scratchy-scratchy chamois if I'm honest).

If I can get something like that for 7 years on the Volvo I'll be happy.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Yeah it’s more about using drying aids etc. a leaf blower is only tor
      wheels and you really need to dry in two stages. One to get the majority of the water off and a final wipe down for best results
      CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Still doing plenty of this if anyone is keen to book in.
        CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Once a car is coated, what are the best ways to care for it?

Do you just wash it, or are you supposed to wax it or something?

Cheers.
            .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

I'm thinking of getting my shitbox done. Any suggestions for a good operator in Melbourne?

Comment

Car craft auto detailing is who i'd recommend. Sandro does excellent work.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
                    Once a car is coated, what are the best ways to care for it?

Do you just wash it, or are you supposed to wax it or something?

Cheers.
                    Just washing and drying, both of which should be much easier with the bulk of dirt rinsing off (assuming at least semi-regular washing). Splurge on a couple of high quality, soft wash mitts and drying towels.

Which coating did you end up using? Generally the company that makes the coating will have a complementary shampoo known to be 'safe' to the coating (ie CarPro Reset, Gyeon Bathe). Basically any quality, pH neutral car-washing shampoo that's not trying to be a wash+wax+ultashiny-full-of-silicon-and-other-fillers-jack-of-all-trades should be fine.

Advantage of these products is that (generally) you can get away with using much less product in the bucket, so the $25-$30 bottle lasts ages as you only need to use a few ml - I use less than a teaspoon of CarPro Reset in ~15L of water.

I would be disinclined to use any type of 'wax' that needs manual application by rubbing on followed by buffing off; I can only see that this would prematurely wear the ceramic coat which defeats the purpose of both products.

Drying aids/quick detailers like the ever popular P&S Beadmaker, CarPro Elixir, Gyeon's QD or Boss Gloss worthwhile if you're super keen for that extra 11/10 shine/slickness and/or find that the ceramic coating is too 'grabby' for your liking.

Comment

Cheers. I use mcguirs soft wash.

So far a hose off and a micro fiber wipe down have it blinging in minutes.

I used the avalon king system that psi dude recommended.
                      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
                        Still doing plenty of this if anyone is keen to book in.
                        Interested in a idea of the price for a 2013 Forester. Would love to fix up some very light scratches, do ceramic coating and look at some stains/faded areas and see whats possible. I can organise more detailed pics.
                        I am a real American. Fight for the rights of every man. I am a real American. Fight for whats right, fight for your life.

Comment

As an aside, I did this on my work glasses. It will be interesting to see how it helps with the micro scratches.

Ask me in 12 months I suppose.

Dr Hoon

Comment

Originally posted by dog poo View Post

Interested in a idea of the price for a 2013 Forester. Would love to fix up some very light scratches, do ceramic coating and look at some stains/faded areas and see whats possible. I can organise more detailed pics.
                            Not a problem.

You can call me on 0 4 0 7 3 0 4 2 1 5

I can do all that for you.

Comment

hey FLI355 heres the photos. I thought i'd put them here so other people might be able to see a response etc of what can be done with detailing and what might need a respray etc. Cheers.
                              Attached Files
                              I am a real American. Fight for the rights of every man. I am a real American. Fight for whats right, fight for your life.

Comment

Originally posted by womblesti View Post
                                Awesome. Thanks
                                I've got Steve from spirts'n'squirts coming to do a paint correction on my xp coupe in the next week or so. He's just started offering mobile service.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 50RTD
                                Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?
                                Originally posted by Dogsballs;n7259704
                                Bit harder to Wank to without Wendy, but got there in the end

Comment

Working...
                                X