X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nastysven
    replied
    Cheers. I use mcguirs soft wash.

So far a hose off and a micro fiber wipe down have it blinging in minutes.

I used the avalon king system that psi dude recommended.

Leave a comment:

• andy_wk
    replied
    Originally posted by nastysven View Post
    Once a car is coated, what are the best ways to care for it?

Do you just wash it, or are you supposed to wax it or something?

Cheers.
    Just washing and drying, both of which should be much easier with the bulk of dirt rinsing off (assuming at least semi-regular washing). Splurge on a couple of high quality, soft wash mitts and drying towels.

Which coating did you end up using? Generally the company that makes the coating will have a complementary shampoo known to be 'safe' to the coating (ie CarPro Reset, Gyeon Bathe). Basically any quality, pH neutral car-washing shampoo that's not trying to be a wash+wax+ultashiny-full-of-silicon-and-other-fillers-jack-of-all-trades should be fine.

Advantage of these products is that (generally) you can get away with using much less product in the bucket, so the $25-$30 bottle lasts ages as you only need to use a few ml - I use less than a teaspoon of CarPro Reset in ~15L of water.

I would be disinclined to use any type of 'wax' that needs manual application by rubbing on followed by buffing off; I can only see that this would prematurely wear the ceramic coat which defeats the purpose of both products.

Drying aids/quick detailers like the ever popular P&S Beadmaker, CarPro Elixir, Gyeon's QD or Boss Gloss worthwhile if you're super keen for that extra 11/10 shine/slickness and/or find that the ceramic coating is too 'grabby' for your liking.

Leave a comment:

• womblesti
    replied
    Awesome. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• FLI355
    replied
    Car craft auto detailing is who i'd recommend. Sandro does excellent work.

Leave a comment:

• womblesti
    replied
    I'm thinking of getting my shitbox done. Any suggestions for a good operator in Melbourne?

Leave a comment:

• nastysven
    replied
    Once a car is coated, what are the best ways to care for it?

Do you just wash it, or are you supposed to wax it or something?

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• CraZeeE
    replied
    PM sent.

Leave a comment:

• FLI355
    replied
    Still doing plenty of this if anyone is keen to book in.

Leave a comment:

• FLI355
    replied
    Yeah it’s more about using drying aids etc. a leaf blower is only tor
    wheels and you really need to dry in two stages. One to get the majority of the water off and a final wipe down for best results

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
    Depends on a lot of factors but on a car that is garaged and kept out of the elements I’d expect it to last in between 5 and 7 years. Closer to 7.
    Hmmm ... that is sounding positive.

There’s also ways to prolong the life in terms of the way you wash it and dry it.
    I've been using the fancy microfibre thingies for both washing & the drying-cloths since you did the Commode when it was new ... we ended up getting it ceramic coated as part of an insurance claim about a year ago, and I've been happy with how easy it is to clean.
    BUT ... I can't work out how people can blow-dry their cars. I've tried it with a leaf-blower, and yeah it dried, but it left snail-trails, I had to re-wet & use the drying towels (which suck at drying compare to the scratchy-scratchy chamois if I'm honest).

If I can get something like that for 7 years on the Volvo I'll be happy.

Leave a comment:

• Kris
    replied
    Gonna give the Macan a hit with TLC 2, apparently gets rave reviews. Is an siO2 coating in spray and lasts apparently at the very least 2 months.

Leave a comment:

• kgc10-R
    replied
    I just fired off a PM. Got a few vehicles in need of your magic!

Leave a comment:

• FLI355
    replied
    Depends on a lot of factors but on a car that is garaged and kept out of the elements I’d expect it to last in between 5 and 7 years. Closer to 7. There’s also ways to prolong the life in terms of the way you wash it and dry it.

Most of my work includes coatings these days. It’s not often I get someone asking for a full correction without the coating part anymore.

The benefits with the coating aren’t just protection it’s the gloss levels and most of all the ease of cleaning it.

I saw the X2 BMW I did a month back today and it had a massive bugger splatter baked on the bonnet. I grabbed a wet wipe and in 2s it was gone and no mark left in the paint. Even I was pleasantly surprised as I don’t have any long term personal understanding of the gtechniq crystal serum I’m currently using.

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    Hey Craig ... what sort of lifespan would you expect from your recommended ceramic coating on a car like the Ovlov (2-pack paint about 10 yrs old, would be a big correction job for you beforehand due to neglect from me though) which apart from a run maybe once every 2 weeks only sees the sun by peering through the small shed window?

Leave a comment:

• FLI355
    replied
    Thanks mate.
    I sort of half expected that to happen!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X