Production Sports Car Racing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need something with around 500 hp per tonne and full aero to cut the Sports Car mustard in Victoria.
    Claimed horsepower sceptic.

Comment

That'd be great, 10 pr so cars with drivers that know what they are doing in 500hp per tonne, and another 30 + drivers, also in 500hp per tonne cars, who have no fucking idea.
      Carnage city?
      For newbs wanting to get into the game, they gotta start at the basics, and crawl before they run.
      Fortunately most of the experienced drivers are, or at least should be, aware of the slower not so experienced cars out there, and give them a bit of room.
      Most do, some are right cunts, but the Stewards do nothing about some of the near incidents.
      PI control room has a hell of a lot of cameras looking before, during and after every corner, they'll happily take money off you for passing under yellows, but do fuck all about telling Mr Lamborghini/Porsche/Exocet Missile, to behave or leave.
      if you get this far after reading the above, good on you!
      If i make spelling mistakes, syntax errors, or just mss letters in words, it is because i am lw vision/vision impaired.
      Dont drive or race no more. Bit of a cunt of a thing.
      I cant see what keys my fingers hit when i type.
      Its called Cone and Rod Dystrophy, un fixable, i get worse, its a hereditary cunt f a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingscotsman View Post
        There are a number of cheapish (yeah nothing's cheap but it's all relative) cars you can run, 200/300/r35 nissans, Zeds, rx7s, mx5s. But if there are not enough and 95% of the field are Euro high end cars doing 100km more than you down the straight...I can imagine it would be off putting.
        Yeh, that is the problem. You could spend 100K on one of those as a race car and still get blown away, whereas that sort of money will get you something very competitive in sprint's. Or you can do the MX5 thing and do heaps of close racing on a budget against like cars. A road registered racing class might work providing the classes were sorted properly, at least there the car could be used for other things.
        Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
        ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
        ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
        ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Meh it's an Island Magic thing. The Victorian cars never show up to any of the other 3 rounds for the year anyhow. It has however discouraged all of the 2F/E cars to bother. Two 944's this year and that's it. Last year there were none. When we first went in 2006 there were 13. Sadly Prod Sports is now where you go to play if you can't afford to race in the Australian GT Championship.
          The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

I suppose the fact that GT3 Cup Challenge is upgrading their cars doesn't help either. Everyone's gone from 996 to 997 and now 991 Cup Cars.... the older 996/7 cars need a home, so more are cropping up in ProdSports?

Edit: and a similar situation with AGT to an extent with stuff like the Mosler and Viper not being competitive anymore
            Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
            Official Photographer 2019 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Superloop Adelaide 500 | Challenge Bathurst

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post
              Prod Sports is now where you go to play if you can't afford to race in the Australian GT Championship.
              Seems that way. Trouble is it discourages the slower lower budget guys.
              Insert pithy comment here "........."

Comment

The Vic State Series for Sports Cars is CAMS hidebound and only runs at PI and Sandown; 2 dates at each. If they ran a couple of rounds of the championship at Winton, like some of the other categories, the car and driver performance weighting factors would change in favour of lower cost vehicles.

Island Magic 1 hr race is a stand alone event.

The other thing is there is no capacity categories properly recognised. If there were an up to 3 litre trophy class a lot of good, interesting amateur cars would come back with a vengeance. There are plenty of Zeds, Healeys, air cooled Pork and the like that are presently almost totally discouraged by the speed of the GT3 things.
                Claimed horsepower sceptic.

Comment

Last couple of years in NSW, relatively low budget cars have come up trumps, (I think both class B) - mainly just by turning up for the sprint rounds. Enduros seem to be a different kettle of fish, you can hope for a wet weekend to make the Mosler uncompetitive, Porsches and Lotuses, they're a harder proposition!

Comment

Originally posted by gxxr View Post
                    Last couple of years in NSW, relatively low budget cars have come up trumps, (I think both class B) - mainly just by turning up for the sprint rounds. Enduros seem to be a different kettle of fish, you can hope for a wet weekend to make the Mosler uncompetitive, Porsches and Lotuses, they're a harder proposition!
                    You talking prod sports? Not being a smart-alec, but from what I can see looks like all class GT and A winning, R8s, Corvettes, Porsche, Lotus. Class B's - and some very fast cars relatively - are mid-pack. I would be very happy to see it the other way round.
                    Insert pithy comment here "........."

Comment

The state championship in NSW is possible to win with a car from any class as has always been the case. The Cue series and as Cal says, PI, always attracts lots of faster cars. Sadly for the lower class cars, there appears to be no cap on the number of GT cars allowed to enter. There has always been really fast sports cars in Prod Sports so people need to get the fuck over it. When I started racing in an 83rwkw MX5, there were 2 600hp Cobras with sequential gearboxes running plus lots of other stuff. Prod Sports gives you the chance to move through classes as your wallet and skills allow. Class A and GT cars have always won outright. Cancian is a class B car - unless all the GT and A class cars blew up, it will never win outright at PI. This race is a different league to the Winton 300 so the comparison is mute. I finished 6th outright a couple of years back in a B class car - lucky it was wet! Mind you, a low budget class B is a $60k plus car. My first car cost $6k!

All they need to do is put a power to weight cap on class A and GT like we used to have. This way, many of the modern GT cars do not qualify. I am a little annoyed that just because they fucked up their series by making it too exxy, doesn't mean they should be able to do it to prod sports too. That said and owning a car that can be either a class A or GT car, as long as I can race somewhere with costs that are sensible (not sure the Bathurst entry is!) then all good.
                      A slow day at the track is better than any day in the office.

Comment

These are excellent suggestions CT. There probably needs to be some kind of a preference given to cars/drivers who want to compete for the CUE championship and commit to the 4 rounds. Imagine leading the championship going into Island Magic and not getting a grid spot because it was taken by a Victorian GT car that has never raced in Prod Sports before. It could easily happen. Bathurst and PI are often oversubscribed.
                        The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

To be fair, there needs to be a place at state level to race these GT cars, especially when they no longer qualify as a Aus GT car.
                          It is no only guys with less funds that need somewhere to race. prod sports is really struggling over this issue, so your points are all well understood and known.

We don't want to AGAIN split it up into two small fields. Would you prefer state GT with 8 cars and prod sports with 12, or one race with 20 cars. In Aus motorsport, we seem to make a habit of splitting up one good field, making two crap fields out of it then wondering why we get no track time at state rounds.

We should keep fields together where possible, it makes for a better looking race, and field, and keeps the events moving.

Comment

cossie55 - totally agree on that - bigger fields are better always. But it goes both ways....

A few years ago I spoke to the GT organizers about running my MX5 Turbo in a couple of events. I was just as fast as the Lotus's and had beaten a couple at state rounds so I knew I could run their pace. The organizers told me my car wasn't eligible. Yet, my car was on the FIA homologation list and was eligible. But, my MX5 wasn't exotic enough for them. So should I care that the GT's don't have anywhere to run at state level? Not sure. But again, I like the fact we have such diverse fields and I love the cars. Which is why I bought the vette so I have a couple of choices as to where I can race.
                            A slow day at the track is better than any day in the office.

Comment

At the time it would have been more because their was no GT3 homologation for an MX5 and never has been. They were trying to get away from non-FIAGT3 models so they could establish a proper GT3 championship. This was and still is the stated aim of that championship. Any Lotii that were in it back then were only there under a grandfather clause.

It had nothing to do with your exoticness.

I also believe that next year any GT3 post 2010 will be ineligible anyway so that eliminates the really fast ones.

Competition Systems

Winning Edge Electronics
                              Magneti Marelli, Jenvey Induction, Souriau Autosport, BF1 Systems, Cat Cams, ORECA, Variohm and Texense Sensors
                              www.compsystems.com.au

Comment

Clip the wings of the GT and A class cars and enforce the rules for all classes and I reckon we would be 2 steps in the right direction. I too love the variety, which is one reason I find it strange that people have such an issue with the G50 Ginetta. They get all hung up on the road registered thing. The fact is can be registered in the UK. Good luck getting a GT spec 458 or R8 registered here anyway!

When's the first meeting for a Vette CT?

Comment

Working...
                                X