Production Sports Car Racing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it's more road car than most things out there. It probably could be registered down here if anyone bother to.

Competition Systems

Winning Edge Electronics
    Magneti Marelli, Jenvey Induction, Souriau Autosport, BF1 Systems, Cat Cams, ORECA, Variohm and Texense Sensors
    www.compsystems.com.au

Comment

if you wanted to rule out cars non road registrable in Aus (or at least not meeting the mimimum 10 cars registered) , gone would be all of the porsche carrera cup and Porsche GT cars (LHD), Lotus honda engined cars, Ginetta, Lambo GT3 cars, basically all of the front running cars.

Wouldn't leave a very interesting sports car field, would it? is that what people really want from a sportscar field?

-Jamie

Comment

+ Moslers
        Claimed horsepower sceptic.

Comment

Big difference between sports racing cars and ordinary sports cars that can on the face of it be road registered, can't see the point in running them together from a competitors point of view. Does any mix of 'sports' cars draw crowds/TV coverage anyway?
          Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
          ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
          ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
          ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by CT View Post
            The state championship in NSW is possible to win with a car from any class as has always been the case. The Cue series and as Cal says, PI, always attracts lots of faster cars. Sadly for the lower class cars, there appears to be no cap on the number of GT cars allowed to enter. There has always been really fast sports cars in Prod Sports so people need to get the fuck over it. When I started racing in an 83rwkw MX5, there were 2 600hp Cobras with sequential gearboxes running plus lots of other stuff. Prod Sports gives you the chance to move through classes as your wallet and skills allow. Class A and GT cars have always won outright. Cancian is a class B car - unless all the GT and A class cars blew up, it will never win outright at PI. This race is a different league to the Winton 300 so the comparison is mute. I finished 6th outright a couple of years back in a B class car - lucky it was wet! Mind you, a low budget class B is a $60k plus car. My first car cost $6k!
            Well said, not sure what the beef is here?

All they need to do is put a power to weight cap on class A and GT like we used to have. This way, many of the modern GT cars do not qualify. I am a little annoyed that just because they fucked up their series by making it too exxy, doesn't mean they should be able to do it to prod sports too. That said and owning a car that can be either a class A or GT car, as long as I can race somewhere with costs that are sensible (not sure the Bathurst entry is!) then all good.
            sorry, but that's way to simplistic, P/W only works in a field where all the cars are similar shape/aero/weight/profile (like single marque).

A 997 cup car with the same P/W as a Lotus Elise/Exige will be so far up the road it's not funny, why?

Because the cup car has massively better aero, better tyres, billions of $ of development over 40+ years etc.

Originally posted by Cal View Post
            Clip the wings of the GT and A class cars and enforce the rules for all classes and I reckon we would be 2 steps in the right direction. I too love the variety, which is one reason I find it strange that people have such an issue with the G50 Ginetta. They get all hung up on the road registered thing. The fact is can be registered in the UK. Good luck getting a GT spec 458 or R8 registered here anyway!
            Yes, the rules need to be clear and enforced, so to take your point on the Ginetta's, show me the road registered ones? they don't exist, no, not even in the UK (despite what people have said).

As for the GT cars, Prodsports/CAMS took the step to allow a new class for 4+ year old GT cars, not saying I agree or disagree with this, but they are within the rules (that said, not sure there is a 4 year old 458GT3, however, the one at PI was a challenge car so is outside of that anyway)
            Originally posted by cossie55 View Post
            if you wanted to rule out cars non road registrable in Aus (or at least not meeting the mimimum 10 cars registered) , gone would be all of the porsche carrera cup and Porsche GT cars (LHD), Lotus honda engined cars, Ginetta, Lambo GT3 cars, basically all of the front running cars.

Wouldn't leave a very interesting sports car field, would it? is that what people really want from a sportscar field?

-Jamie
            Speaking from the Lotus HPE camp, they are CAMS homologated in Aus, as in there were 20+ road cars built and road registered in Aus (there are actually a shed load more of them than this running about on the roads), so, you can't accuse them of being not within the CAMS 2B rules.

Comment

If second hand cars modified by local shops are considered as registered road cars for the purposes of sportscar racing then old jags with 350 chevs should also be legal!

But it is always hard to tell how cams have come up with a decision

Comment

If second hand cars modified by local shops are considered as registered road cars for the purposes of sportscar racing then old jags with 350 chevs should also be legal!

But it is always hard to tell how cams have come up with a decision
                so on that basis, how do you class a Cobra?

look, CAMS rules are pretty clear, there have been many 10+ homologation's, MGB V8's, MX5 V8's (Bullet) etc... or don't you like them either?

Comment

Daytonas are manufactured from scratch as a brand new car. Sold and road registered more than 10 and gone through compliance.

Saying that if enough guys make a specific change to a car makes it a model varient is a very slippery slope.

Far more than 10 road registered rx7s have single turbo conversion. So does that make that conversion on an rx7 a new official varient for sportscar racing?

Comment

Sadly for the lower class cars, there appears to be no cap on the number of GT cars allowed to enter. There has always been really fast sports cars in Prod Sports so people need to get the fuck over it. When I started racing in an 83rwkw MX5, there were 2 600hp Cobras with sequential gearboxes running plus lots of other stuff. Prod Sports gives you the chance to move through classes as your wallet and skills allow.
                    yeah but it's a matter of degree. Mixed fields are more fun agreed. But if the field is dominated by the cup/gt cars its no fun for the slower cars.
                    Insert pithy comment here "........."

Comment

Daytonas are manufactured from scratch as a brand new car. Sold and road registered more than 10 and gone through compliance.

Saying that if enough guys make a specific change to a car makes it a model varient is a very slippery slope.

Far more than 10 road registered rx7s have single turbo conversion. So does that make that conversion on an rx7 a new official varient for sportscar racing?
                      who said anything about Dayton's? (I was talking about the original Shelby Cobra's made from him buying AC ACE's and fitting V8's to them)

and just to cover another point, there are currently well over 400 Lotus HPE's around the world, Aus is only one market for them, there are outlets for them all over Europe, Japan, etc, as well as dozens of them as full time race cars.

Comment

Easy fix, ensure there is Divisions 1 and 2 GT/Prodsports/Sports cars on the card. Split the two based on times. Exclude fast cars such as late model GT3 type porkers, lambos, etc from Div 2 as a matter of course. Allow old 911s to run in Div 2. and get on with it

Comment

Originally posted by flyingscotsman
                          You talking prod sports? Not being a smart-alec, but from what I can see looks like all class GT and A winning, R8s, Corvettes, Porsche, Lotus. Class B's - and some very fast cars relatively - are mid-pack. I would be very happy to see it the other way round.
                          Outright championship - as said, enduros are a different kettle of fish - basic motorsport economics, no use complaining about.

Not sure if they had any round wins, a former sports sedan guy in a 200SX won NSW this year, year before Rx7 with modest power and mods.....seems someone didn't like that though, as the single turbo approval got lost in 2013!

Comment

None of this is an easy answer. Splitting the grids is not a great idea either. State rounds already struggle to get numbers, it's only the Cue series that get's big grids.

Personally I'm happy to race with the faster GT type cars, but there has to be some kind of limit both on numbers and outright speed, otherwise it pushes the ground roots racers out, and then one day older style GT's will realise they have the numbers to start their own grid, and prod sports will be left ruined.

Outright speed does need to be looked at imo. Christ several Prod Sports cars are now faster than outright Sports Sedans! And these aren't the new GT variants.

Comment

Originally posted by scuffers View Post
                              who said anything about Dayton's? (I was talking about the original Shelby Cobra's made from him buying AC ACE's and fitting V8's to them)

and just to cover another point, there are currently well over 400 Lotus HPE's around the world, Aus is only one market for them, there are outlets for them all over Europe, Japan, etc, as well as dozens of them as full time race cars.
                              yes, I did think you mentioned the daytona... my mistake

I have to be reasonable, and if you are right that Shelby was selling modified second hand cars only as shelby cobras, then you have probably got a fair point to show that this method is historically correct.

-jamie

Comment

Originally posted by scuffers View Post
                                so to take your point on the Ginetta's, show me the road registered ones? they don't exist, no, not even in the UK (despite what people have

The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Working...
                                X