No announcement yet.

F1 Shit Talk Thread -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGU-H 'scrapped to clear path for Audi and Porsche to enter Formula 1' | Planet F1

If true I think it's a bit sad, F1 supposed to be the pinnacle of technology and the place where new tech for road cards is developed, you'd have thought they could find a way. But obviosuly lots of people above my pay grade made the decision for a reason.

Comment

Fuck me $2M for a current motor. I get it, I kind of do, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by RP_Automotive View Post
        MGU-H 'scrapped to clear path for Audi and Porsche to enter Formula 1' | Planet F1

If true I think it's a bit sad, F1 supposed to be the pinnacle of technology and the place where new tech for road cards is developed, you'd have thought they could find a way. But obviosuly lots of people above my pay grade made the decision for a reason.
        To me it's still pretty odd that in 5 years they are considering anything but electric powertrains.. considering by 2030 nearly all the euro manufacturers have committed to being fully electric. I guess F1 better decide pretty soon whether they want to be the cutting edge of the actual future of the automobile, or just something that is just cool/sounding
        RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Yeah was wondering the same, at what point does F1 just amulgamate FE given the 2030 deadline for most manufacturer's worldwide?
          '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

I hope they never go EV. It’s not like they actually share the production or engineering with a road car anyway. The technology will still trickle down assuming performance is still something people want in 20 years time, just not from the PU

Comment

Originally posted by fury View Post

To me it's still pretty odd that in 5 years they are considering anything but electric powertrains.. considering by 2030 nearly all the euro manufacturers have committed to being fully electric. I guess F1 better decide pretty soon whether they want to be the cutting edge of the actual future of the automobile, or just something that is just cool/sounding
              Perhaps they can see the writing on the wall then, and a swap from ICE to Electric is fairly easy so they've decided MGU-H tech is pretty useless on an electric powered car, and super expensive, so lets just let that go now? Still a lot of heat will be generated with brakes and the electric motor to a degree, so would be cool to see it further developed.

Comment

i still think they should just go with plain ICE running synthetic or hydrogen fuel. if these technologies are as good as sections of industry (eg. Porsche) think it is then prove it.
                Bonus points for the fact that the cars won’t need to be 6 metres long to fit all the existing hybrid tech, plus it’ll keep the “there’s no engine/exhaust noise with EVs!” crowd happy
                Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 02-10-21, 10:18 PM.
                Originally posted by Jim
                I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

It all came down to sealing technology at the heat side of the turbine interface. Continue to push more heat out the exhaust side whilst trying to seal the gasses up a shaft that was connected to an electrical motor. It’s beyond our laws
                  2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                  2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                  I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

FE has sole rights to electric formula until 2035 or something

Comment

Originally posted by Rasta_papa View Post
                      FE has sole rights to electric formula until 2035 or something
                      Run a 50cc 1 cylinder motor and call it a hybrid
                      "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                      (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                      Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by RP_Automotive View Post

Perhaps they can see the writing on the wall then, and a swap from ICE to Electric is fairly easy so they've decided MGU-H tech is pretty useless on an electric powered car, and super expensive, so lets just let that go now? .
                        I reckon this was probably the main argument VW would have had, it's technology they'll likely never use so the argument to have the tech in F! as a way for manufacturers to speed development for road cars no longer stands.

Sounds like they'll still be turbocharged though, just going to dump the MGU part of the turbocharger assembly.

I reckon if we do see any kind of MGU-H setup on production vehicles it will be on trucks.

Comment

TBH I'm surprised that VW are so against MGU-H as I though the MGU-H was part of the reason the V4 in the 919 went so well was due to there mastery of MGU-H

Comment

Was listening to J Saward just before and was saying the removal of the MGU-H opens up the door for the likes of McLaren / Aston to build their own motors in due course now it's looking to be cheaper to do so.

Customer cars don't win championships

Comment

Was listening to J Saward just before and was saying the removal of the MGU-H opens up the door for the likes of McLaren / Aston to build their own motors in due course now it's looking to be cheaper to do so.

That would be a great move for the championship.

A McLaren winning with their own engine would really be something special.

Comment

That's a really good point actually. The engine situation is relatively fragile - anything that enables more options is good for the sport.

Comment

Working...
                                X