Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

F1 Shit Talk Thread -

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John View Post
    So apparently only 5% carry over parts from last years car. Quite a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong! Jerez should be interesting....
    Yep. And a whole lot of new matters to consider in regard to both the cars and the rules which govern their use and performance. Basically it's all new so any of the top teams could come out in front this year.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Formula 1 could experience a retirement rate of 50 per cent in the 2014 season-opening Australian Grand Prix, reckons Red Bull boss Christian Horner.

With teams under no illusions that reliability is going to be a key factor in 2014, Horner believes that the dropout rate could be pretty extreme early on.

F1 designers are facing the biggest change in regulations in recent history, and none are expecting it to be easy to get the new 1.6-litre turbo V6 powerunits up and running trouble free straight away.

To further add to the technology complications, drivers are also limited to just 100kg of fuel for a grand prix, which could prove tough to manage in Melbourne, one of the highest fuel-consumption tracks of the season.

Speaking to Bloomberg TV on Wednesday, Horner has suggested that the situation could be pretty dramatic in Australia on March 16.

"I think you could see a very high retirement rate, maybe even 50 per cent in the first race," he said.

"Petrol is a challenge this year because we are limited to 100 kg of fuel to start the grand prix with, but more reliability issues in the early races will be a key factor.

"And of course we only have five engines for the whole year."

TWO TIER F1

Red Bull F1 2013

Beyond the challenges of reliability that all teams will face, Horner fears that the better- resourced teams will pull clear of the midfield contenders this year due to the new rules.

"For the back of the grid it is a huge challenge with the costs that are going be incurred with this power supply unit," he said.

"The differences between the teams will be bigger.

"Whenever there is a reset, the teams that have the investment, that have the resources and the facilities will always turn up with a more advanced product."

When asked if that could lead to a two-tier F1, Horner said: "I think next year [2014] it could be.

"That is why stability is so important, as if you have stability then the grid concertinas, and it is down to details.

"The regulations we have for this year are a definite game changer."

REMEMBER WHEN...

Formula 1 has got used to only a few cars dropping out of each grand prix through reliability reasons.

In the last decade there have even been two races where there have been no cars dropping out at all - the 2011 European Grand Prix (24 finishers) and the 2005 Italian Grand Prix (20 finishers).

The six cars that took to the grid for Indianapolis in 2005 also all took the chequered flag.

A 50 per cent retirement rate in Australia this year would deliver something very different for F1, but the Melbourne race would have to go some way to beat the all-time record for the fewest classified finishers.

Olivier Panis

The most recent super-high attrition race was the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix, where race-winner Olivier Panis was one of only four cars to take the chequered flag.

However, seven cars were classified as three others had completed the mandatory minimum race distance before being involved in incidents.

The all-time record holder for fewest finishers though is the 1966 Monaco Grand Prix.

Winner Jackie Stewart was one of only four cars classified - although fourth-placed Bob Bondurant was five laps down.
      http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112137

Had no idea Melbourne was one of the hardest track on fuel. I would have thought something with more WOT like Monza would have been?
      Originally posted by XXX19X
      Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

Comment

It says 'one of the highest fuel-consumption tracks of the season'

Should be interesting to see if he is right though
        AutoMotif

VC Valiant

Comment

Originally posted by Shitbreak View Post
          http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112137

Had no idea Melbourne was one of the hardest track on fuel. I would have thought something with more WOT like Monza would have been?
          Monza is probably not because its low drag. Melbourne is relatively higher downforce and lots of slow corners followed by flat out sections (stop start, stop start).

Comment

28/1 for Red Bull unveiling...

front look wider than usual - could be an old photo though

Comment

2014 car launches / roll-outs

Team Date Venue

McLaren January 24 Online
              Ferrari January 25 Online
              Mercedes January 28 Jerez, Spain
              Caterham January 28 Jerez, Spain
              Red Bull January 28 Jerez, Spain

Comment

Originally posted by MarkMash View Post
                28/1 for Red Bull unveiling... front look wider than usual - could be an old photo though
                Probably an old pic - the front wings are narrower this year

Comment

Bernie has stepped down from the board.....he still runs day to day business but can no longer sign off on commercial deals.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/01/17/...teps-f1-board/

Also, he's apparently put in a bid to buy Nurburgring.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0KP47V20140115

Comment

^^^ And has been charged with corruption in Germany and off to court soon.

Comment

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0...for-whitmarsh/

The king is back.
                      Originally posted by brasher
                      TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Originally posted by tremolo View Post
                        Probably an old pic - the front wings are narrower this year
                        Newey found a loophole /i?
                        Originally posted by willsy01 View Post
                        Also, he's apparently put in a bid to buy Nurburgring.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0KP47V20140115
                        Sounds like he is sucking up to me. "I'll help out one of your broke regional governments if you do nothing to me". Or a cover up story to try and get his bad name out of the press.
                        My car
                        Corolla
                        I'd have no qualm about punting a kid into the fresh produce section if it meant the difference between getting a set of night vision goggles or not.

Comment

I think Bernie might be fucked.

I'm happy to console his daughters though...

Comment

Bernie will be ok. He's had plenty of time to arrange his affairs. All his wealth is in Bambino Trust - which is technically owned by Slavica and his daughters. So they can't touch it.

Then at 83 he is too old to serve any jail time. He can still claim Gribkowsky tried to blackmail him, so that might work.

The real scare factor comes from the UK Revenue Office if they start sniffing round!
                            "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                            (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                            Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

For his money Id console him.

*shudder
                              TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ View Post
                                I wonder if this paves the way for Ross Brawn to join the team as Whitmarsh' replacement?
                                My car
                                Corolla
                                I'd have no qualm about punting a kid into the fresh produce section if it meant the difference between getting a set of night vision goggles or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X