F1 Shit Talk Thread -

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah definitely looks like a toe-in change- a bloody big one at that- but could also mean ride height change possibly. You’d think it wasn’t allowed but who knows what they’re up to. The loop hole has to be because it’s mechanical movement by the driver from the steering wheel or something

Comment

Originally posted by vet 180 View Post

Indeed true, but when a team is fastest with the most number of laps on day one of testing it’s certainly a good place to be in.
      Especially when that team have been dominant in recent history. I would be brave claiming the same with someone like Haas or Williams.
      POWER CHIP free since 2003.

Comment

It's brilliant. Less drag on straights and tyre wear.

I imagine a number of teams are going wtf right about now
        Originally posted by brasher
        TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

On the contrary.....could be about generating heat on longer straights. I recall then having trouble keeping heat in tyres last season.

Comment

I think it’s a classic Mercedes diversion.

Comment

Bring on 2021 when there's a remote chance of someone other than Mercedes winning. Ofcourse its because Lewis is the best driver.
              "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
              (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
              Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                Bring on 2021 when there's a remote chance of someone other than Mercedes winning. Ofcourse its because Lewis is the best driver.
                YUP Yup Renault are going to be the 2021 WC and will have a dominance like Mercedes until the next rule changes

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                  Interesting video showing the steering wheel moving and front tyres change as it enters the straight

https://twitter.com/messi98joe/statu...492071425?s=21

Edit another video
                  https://streamable.com/t/e48rq
                  https://streamable.com/t/e48rq
                  I know all the media is saying toe change, but it looks to me like the whole wheel moves inwards???

Comment

Originally posted by hrd View Post

I know all the media is saying toe change, but it looks to me like the whole wheel moves inwards???
                    absolutely is - the front inner & rear of the tire both move toward the centreline of the car - you can hover your mouse over the edges and it's clear neither is moving outward - so it's not an angle change - unless it's camber as we can only see the top half of the tire.
                    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Could you do this by having the suspension mounts pull/push in/out as they move through their travel under acceleration or braking?

sort of a mechanism that works on inertia of the car?

i would imagine narrowing the track improves aero performance at top speed and the wider track obviously is all about corner stability.

It will undoubtedly get clarified out of existence if it actually turns up in Melbourne.... Might be a great red-herring to get all the other teams scrambling to do something like that or waste time working out how to protest it instead of sorting their cars?
                      ---
                      Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Watched a thing on it this morning and they mentioned that Mercedes already have adjustable ride height in slow corners based on steering angle. First I'd heard of that one - was that something I just missed last year?
                        BMW E21 Racer

ATCC & V8SC Results, Data, Statistics and Discussion from 1960 to now

Comment

Originally posted by hrd View Post

Yeah it certainly looks that way. Must be an awesome system to do any of this without huge negative side effects - id love to see it.

Comment

Nah, just toe change. Good quality stream here: https://streamable.com/b820r
                            Chris
                            ------
                            The new nugget
                            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

and "marker" not explicitly telling the driver to do anything, but strongly implied based on the timing. potentionally ear beeps too.

Oo___oO

Comment

I thought marker was the driver logging that they had used it so they could go back over the data later to see what impacts it's use had?
                                Originally posted by brasher
                                TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Working...
                                X