Clear All

• leothedrummer
    replied
    Cheers Kev, exciting times ahead for sure, already feeling the buzz

Leave a comment:

• 23Kev
    replied
    Originally posted by leothedrummer View Post

Thinking with the grandstand approach is based on what we want our experience to be. This will be nopics' first race weekend of any kind and we like the certainty of having set seating. We spent some time last night looking at videos taken from the various seating options (including GA) and both felt that a view over either the 1st/2nd or last turns whilst being able to see the start and pits was the view we wanted.
    Last time I went we sat in the Schumacher stand and it was honestly pretty crap. We had the afternoon sun in our faces and the view of the cars coming through had no variety (other corners you can see different lines etc). The only advantages were that you could see people going into the pits, the screen was visible and I spent the time with my dad and brother. I'd go just about anywhere else. Also, be prepared for your phone to constantly lose connectivity and for the timing app to be basically useless. I got it working about half way through the race and by then nothing interesting was happening (typical Aus GP).

Good luck with the stand selection!

Leave a comment:

• timtx5
    replied
    Been to a few gps (Melbourne, Monaco, Malaysia and Montreal) and I would say one thing that is really useful regardless of where you sit is to have a good timing app, preferably with commentary.

It's really easy to get lost to what is happening at the track. You often can't really make much out on the big screen and the commentary is drowned out. It's very easy to just sit there and have no idea where people are in the race.

Leave a comment:

• itsnotagsr
    replied
    But they have two Canadians!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Scott Speeds milshake didnt bring all the boys to the yard

But I agree we need a seppo or two in there, although super license points make it hard for Colton at present

Leave a comment:

• fly510
    replied
    Originally posted by fly510 View Post

makes sense for all parties. F1 has to properly crack the US market as their is significant pent up demand for it. Plenty of money around and ballers with supercars who want to turn up to the track in their senna's. P1's and La Ferrari's. F1 needs 2 - 3 races in the US and at least decent driver.
    Danica Patrick agree's with me!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/da...-grid/6688453/

Leave a comment:

• leothedrummer
    replied
    Yeah it seems we're both keen on the stands around the first corner (Jones, Moss and Brabham) as well as maybe Prost. We're not quite "money is no option" but still want to have a good time of it!
    I see us wandering around a bit between F1 sessions and having a fun, laid back approach to it all. Can't wait.

Leave a comment:

• Kiwi EK4
    replied
    Went to Melbourne a few years ago, got a seat at the end of the front straight right on the first corner (Jones Stand) - this was 2010

Was great as could go anywhere in GA but also had the assuredness of a nice seat if and when it was needed

Last edited by Kiwi EK4; 18-10-21, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nafe
    replied

I also imagine that grandstand tickets give access to the GA areas as well? With this being our first year, I feel like it's worth spending that extra money to see what works and if we decide to go again in the future with a cheaper, simpler approach then so be it. By the time the race comes along it will have been almost 3 years since either of us have really gone and done anything significant, so it's a pretty big deal for us - which makes it easier to splurge a bit.

Honestly I never actually thought of going to the races, I'm just not the type of person to think like that. Whereas new fan nopics is looking at me full of enthusiasm like "WTF of course we're going, how could we not?"
    So yeah, it'll be an awesome time.
    GA access is no problem with your grandstand ticket (whether it's 4 days in one, or the 4 stand pass).
    I recommend the Brabham stand for 1st corner shenanigans on race day personally. If you get high enough you get a decent unobstructed view to the apex of Turn 1. So you can see them charge down into T1, through there and away down to the next corner.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Sounds like a grandstand seat somewhere on the main straight thats opposite the jumbo vision will be the right choice for you both

And as much as I hear you when you say that she doesnt have any interest in the other categories, I expect that like most in her position, that attitude will soon change very quickly when 26 angry V8 Supercars start banging and popping as they shift through the gears...its 100% captivating, for anybody within ear shot, and its hard not to get excited once its happening in front of you

If money is no object, maybe one of the Hospo areas might be more to your liking? There are at east a dozen options where you can sit in a nice location, with screens all around you, and eat and drink as much as you please. Prices range from around $750 to over $2k per day, so it really comes down to what you value most.

Either way, you are going to have an amazing time

Leave a comment:

• leothedrummer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
    Personally, I find the grandstand option a little strange...it costs far more, and commits you to one singular viewing spot, but I acknowledge that it is a good option if you have any health issues that preclude you from walking 20km a day around the circuit.
    Thinking with the grandstand approach is based on what we want our experience to be. This will be nopics' first race weekend of any kind and we like the certainty of having set seating. We spent some time last night looking at videos taken from the various seating options (including GA) and both felt that a view over either the 1st/2nd or last turns whilst being able to see the start and pits was the view we wanted. I'm also very much aware that I don't see us spending the entire day watching the on track action. At this point, she's got no interest in the V8's or other support categories, so I imagine we'll also spend some time in the infield or just generally soaking up the atmosphere and attractions. We want to be able to wander around at our own pace, but then know we'll have the spot we want when it does come time to watch a session, rather than worrying about getting in early enough to claim a spot or whatever.

Looking through info from previous years we saw they have a "different grandstand each day" package, which looks to be the goods so far. We'll see.
    Also noting that everywhere is open Thursday, which gives us the opportunity to try different things and see what works.

I also imagine that grandstand tickets give access to the GA areas as well? With this being our first year, I feel like it's worth spending that extra money to see what works and if we decide to go again in the future with a cheaper, simpler approach then so be it. By the time the race comes along it will have been almost 3 years since either of us have really gone and done anything significant, so it's a pretty big deal for us - which makes it easier to splurge a bit.

Honestly I never actually thought of going to the races, I'm just not the type of person to think like that. Whereas new fan nopics is looking at me full of enthusiasm like "WTF of course we're going, how could we not?"
    So yeah, it'll be an awesome time.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Originally posted by Nafe View Post

You can also get a 4 Grandstand ticket, so you sit in a different stand each day, really gives you a good selection of viewing points, plus the option to go walking around as well.
    Indeed, I should have mentioned that, as it is a good choice too.

Another good grandstand choice is the one I call the Earlybird Scotsman selection...only available on Thursdays, where you can walk around and access some of the grandstands for free, as they are mostly empty on the first day. Of course, you wont see F1 cars that day (apart from the 2 seater Minardi) but its still neat to watch the support categories from a higher vantage point...great for getting some videos without a fence or 1000 heads getting in your shot haha

Leave a comment:

• Nafe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
    Personally, I find the grandstand option a little strange...it costs far more, and commits you to one singular viewing spot, but I acknowledge that it is a good option if you have any health issues that preclude you from walking 20km a day around the circuit.
    You can also get a 4 Grandstand ticket, so you sit in a different stand each day, really gives you a good selection of viewing points, plus the option to go walking around as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied

Can you see the big screens / race coverage from GA? Gold Coast 600 I went to was deliberately setup so that wasn't possible, don't want that again.
    Albert Park is amazing value for money if you go GA, as there is just so many vantage points to enjoy

There are many jumbo vision screens positioned around the track that can be viewed from the GA bank seating areas, but Im sure that you can find a map of the layout which will also include a legend key for things like screens, so you can plan where you want to view each session from. Off the top of my head, there is jumbo vision at turn 2, turn 4, turn 9, turn 12, turn 15, plus multiple screens on the inside of the circuit where all the merch and food stands are located.

If its your first time, definitely go GA so you can spend the days walking the entire circuit so you can enjoy seeing the cars at all points of the track. But if you dont like standing for long periods, or find sitting on dry grass annoying, definitely take some fold out camping chairs so you can pick your spot for each session and be comfortable.

No matter what you do, you will LOVE IT. In my opinion, no GP puts on a show as good as Melbourne, with 4 days and so many support categories that give you access to their pit areas, and the V8 Supercars paddock etc, not to mention drooling over all the latest offerings from the Luxury car brands on displey etc

Leave a comment:

• Smudge
    replied
    White bits are screens, blue bits are stands. May be the old track layout.
    https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/...it/seating-map
    Can see screens from GA. From memory there are a few more than this about. e.g. in the parkland/eating area below the stands on the main straight.
    Did GA for a few years and didn't have an issue.
    Last edited by Smudge; 17-10-21, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X