Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hrd
    replied
    Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
    Whilst he may have said that and it was reported that he wasn't a number 2, unless you see the actual contract he and Ferrari signed we will never know the truth as to whether he was a number 2 or not. Same as any driver in any team really.
    But we do know - Barrichello said it himself at the unveiling of the F1-2000 car "...There is nothing in my contract to say I have to let Michael pass me."

He became a No2 because he wasn't any sort of a match for Schumacher:
    2000 Michael WDC 108pts, Rubens 4th 62pts
    2001 Michael WDC 123pts, Rubens 3rd 56pts
    2002 Michael WDC 144pts, Rubens 2nd 77pts - the hullabaloo over 4pts either way is laughable. Only matched by how laughably unnecessary it was for Ferrari to do it in the first place!
    2003 Michael WDC (by 1pt) 93pts, Rubens 4th 65pts
    2004 Michael WDC 148pts, Rubens 2nd 114pts
    Michael won 12 out of the first 13 races! And was leading Monaco as well when Montaya and he collided in the tunnel under safety car for his DNF.
    By the same point in the season after 13 races, Rubens' avg finishing position was 3.46 in what was clearly a very dominant car.
    2005 Michael 3rd 62pts, Rubens 8th 38pts

They weren't in the same league.

Leave a comment:

• RP_Automotive
    replied
    Rather than stating ‘who’ a number 2 driver is, I’d say every team would have a plethora of clauses which says that if a driver is ahead in the championship, then as an example let’s just say only 1 front wing rev2 is available, then whoever is in front will get that wing. Then that applies to race scenarios, pit stacking, etc etc.

or maybe they have nothing at all and it’s up the team boss to give and choose.

Leave a comment:

• gmx
    replied
    Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Rubens is a serial whinger.

He had no excuse at Brawn where he couldn't even beat Button, who almost melted under the pressure.
    This. The media spun his whinging attitude into no2 driver or rear gunner for Michael. From memory there were clear times when he had no chance of the WDC that they'd put him on dry tyres to see how it feels and nail the cut-over point for Schumi.
    Brawn even had to reassure him during '09 "We all know what happened at Ferrari" - the genius of Brawn, to remotivate fragile ego driver.

Leave a comment:

• hrd
    replied
    Originally posted by Kiwi EK4 View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	130410155336-team-orders-barrichello-schumacher-horizontal-gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	7090747
    if that's proof he "had team mates who were contractually obliged to let him past.. " and "never on an even playing field with his team mates, or, at times, other cars on the grid", then...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lewis-Hamilton-1024954.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	7090776

Leave a comment:

• itsnotagsr
    replied
    Rubens is a serial whinger.

He had no excuse at Brawn where he couldn't even beat Button, who almost melted under the pressure.

Leave a comment:

• Kiwi EK4
    replied
    Originally posted by hrd View Post

That's one of the things people like to say, but it obviously wasn't in Barichello's contract:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	130410155336-team-orders-barrichello-schumacher-horizontal-gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	7090747

Last edited by Kiwi EK4; 14-11-19, 07:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PXL265
    replied
    Whilst he may have said that and it was reported that he wasn't a number 2, unless you see the actual contract he and Ferrari signed we will never know the truth as to whether he was a number 2 or not. Same as any driver in any team really.

History shows that he most probably was a number 2 driver with regard to equipment and team support.

For all we know Dan went to Renault because there was a "you will be number 2 to whoever Helmet thinks is the next messiah" clause in his contract that he didn't like any more.

Leave a comment:

• hrd
    replied
    Originally posted by 36 View Post
    Schumacher had team mates who were contractually obliged to let him past.. He was a gun, but he was never on an even playing field with his team mates, or, at times, other cars on the grid. I found this really interesting:
    That's one of the things people like to say, but it obviously wasn't in Barichello's contract:
    Ferrari on Saturday confirmed Rubens Barrichello has signed a two-year contract with the Maranello outfit to become the new partner to Michael Schumacher. Barrichello becomes the first Brazilian to join the famous Italian marque, with his move to Ferrari on the strict understanding he will not be understudy to Schumacher.

The 27-year-old, who will leave Stewart-Ford at the end of the current season, is expected to share equal billing with the two-time world champion.

Barrichello stated earlier this week he would not be number two to Schumacher...

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    I like the way every team except Ferrari is “we dunno about 2021” - can you tell they’re in the Concorde agreement negotiations or what?

Leave a comment:

• itsnotagsr
    replied
    Strange that Haas has confirmed Grosjean. He must have some blackmail photos on Gene

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Agreed ^

Very glad to see AA be given another season at RBR.

He has definitely earned it, and proved that he can cope with the pressure of having Max as a team mate, and deliver consistent results, especially compared to Gasly.

Leave a comment:

• Smudge
    replied
    RBR 2020 - Albon confirmed beside Verstappen. Woo Hoo! He's done enough to earn this seat & seemed pretty humble on "Beyond the grid" podcast.
    https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/n...2020-f1-season
    Last edited by Smudge; 12-11-19, 11:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Milkman Don
    replied
    Can someone explain the Hamilton issue in Q3 of knocking a cover off the brake bias adjustment? There used to be a guy on reddit that would post the Q3 lap with an annotated view of the whee adjustments during lap. What I’m confused is I believe they continually change the adjustment, has this changed to just adjusting the energy recovery for more rear than front? If does remain a static setting then would this lead to be a similar but different method to Renault’s system?

Leave a comment:

• rolin7
    replied
    I should correct myself, in that a vast majority weren't DNF related, more ers issue related meaning reduced power output.

Leave a comment:

• gmx
    replied
    DNFs... part of the sport. As I said, no such thing as "if" or we could go on endlessly.
    2005,2003; we all know. Terrible years.
    Massa 2008 Hungary DNF
    Raikkonen 2007 x2 DNF (hydraulics/electrics) - most of all WDC contenders, others crashed or made a race-ending mistake. Btw, since we are on the subject of DNFs, I'll leave this here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	XPB_198646_HamiltonGravel.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	7089890

Even though he finished outside of the points

Leave a comment:

Working...
X