Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Vic Time Attack - Philip Island 1st April 2016

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was an epic day but also a tough day at the office for some. Watched some poor buggers pride and joy off chops time attack evo burn to the ground. Minor engine bay oil issue apparently kicked it off and the rest is history. Commiserations. :( You never want to see that. But, shit like that tests the mettle of the organisers and they did the best they could in the circumstances as far as making everyone safe and getting the show back on the road. Yeah, I am biased as promoter is a mate, but fucked if I would put my arse (and wallet) on the line to run these when so many things completely out of your control can go pete tong.

As far as the day went, there were some interruptions earlier in the day with cars finding their mechanical and talent limits, but it got rolling hard in the afternoon and made for an epic day. Seeing the Sigsworth PMQ emo up close was a highlight. That thing is a work of art and quietly punched out a 1.29. Bonkers!!!! (Demonstration class....a data gathering exercise aroubd tyre stress at PI in the hope pro level cars get to play in the future.) The rest of us mortals stumbled around in the 30's. The Vspec guys fronted up with some epic GTRs including a legit R33 400R (in midnight purpo) and some bespoke nismo awesome. On or off the track there was something worth a look.

For me, PI is fkn epic. I don't completely love aero, but I do love sequentials and boost. So it was a good day. :)

Comment

Fucken mint. Burying the jandal et al.
      2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
      2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
      I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

1.29 holy shit! You'd have to have some balls to steer anything round PI that quick. Mick is a pretty underrated driver imo.

Really sorry to see the evo burn to the ground, like setting a match to $200k, so cruel.

Comment

Originally posted by cossie55 View Post
          Good luck Dougmo, hopefully you can win it outright this year, certainly you seem to have the equipment to do it this time...
          surprisingly i wasn't last!

Comment

^^^ If there was a spirit of the event award you would have nailed it :)

Some video of one of my laps. Not my best work. Lit the tyres up out of MG which hurt my exit speed and also got a little untidy through 12. Linked it together a bit better later in the day but suffered the flat camera so no evidence so it didn't happen :) Only get to drive the car once a year so its tough to get it under control in one day. Had also had some much heavier springs installed. Maybe a bit too heavy as it did seem to want to slide fully hooked up in high gears (turn 12...nicotine stained undies) where it didn't last year. But was an epic day. I definitely need a sequential and maybe some boost in my life more often. Bring on next year!!!!

Comment

mega effort mate, next time it may be best if we stick just with beers....

Comment

here is video of my rocket, as you can see very similar pace to blaise above

Comment

Originally posted by dougmo View Post
                  here is video of my rocket, as you can see very similar pace to blaise above

Classic stuff George! Looked like you could have had your elbow out the window listening to the AM/FM. Very calm.
                  http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/12/...lenge-accepted

Comment

i could even put on a dvd, with the A/C on too pat

Comment

Jason was nice enough to let us run the sports sedan in the demo class, didn't mount up the dorian but was nice to finally go sub 35! some awesome machinery down there.
                      Profi

Comment

Originally posted by profi View Post
                        Jason was nice enough to let us run the sports sedan in the demo class, didn't mount up the dorian but was nice to finally go sub 35! some awesome machinery down there.
                        top effort man

Comment

Jeez BP that RX7 is pretty stabby but very fast.
                          2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                          2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                          I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Couldn't find a thread anywhere else, but figured here was a good place to start. I've not raced my MX5 for a really long time, but have coerced some of the guys who used to race to dust them off and have a run next month at Morgan Park. My car has been doing sprints at Lakeside with the old man driving, so we've been using 2nd hand Kumho V700's & Nitto NT01's. When I drove it I found slightly more time out of the Kumhos, but it wasn't much. All the tyres we have are well past their best, so I'll buy a new set. What's the latest hotness in 225/45/15 semis?
                            The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Not sure on sizing but the yokie 050 or hankook seem to be the hotness for outright pace on semis.

Comment

Thanks, Yokies is what I was thinking. Getting sick of Kumhos delaminating too.
                                The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Working...
                                X