V8 Supercar discussion thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just can't see the need for a team to be based in Sydney.

The reason why people don't turn up to Sydney is because the tracks they have SMS, and previously Homebush were shit for the punters to watch the show at, plus the fact the show is now shit compared to the race days put on in the mid 90's through to the mid 2000's.

A local state or Historic meeting has a much better range of cars, better racing and better access to the competitors for the punter.

The program these days has more stunt shows and breaks with no track activity compared to actual on track racing.

A team based in a city where the show is shit isn't going to help resurrect super taxis to the peak of the good old days in the late 90's where tracls like Oran Park, Lakeside, Amaroo and even Eastern Creek were absolutely full of spectators. And that was because they had a great support show with a great variety of cars racing and only five to ten minutes between events all day.

Comment

If they put on decent supports that would go a long way towards bringing people back. Some of them are great, some are woeful.

SMSP whilst not a bad track to race on, is pretty shit for spectators too...
      The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Perhaps it has something to do with getting money out of the NSW government? Ie to justify their marketing subsidy/support and spending on Eastern Creek. That way V8SC can say to the government can say its creating jobs.
        "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
        (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
        Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
          So Courtney has thrown bulk coin at Rod Salmon to make the problems go away???

And the Webb's keep their money and just keep on doing what they have always done??? and fair enough if they can make it work for them.

I don't see why Supercars are frothing over the "need" to have a team based in Sydney. WHen you look at where the current manufacturing infrastructure for the category is, Sydney is about the worse place to be.
          It's a big Commercial agreement that involves Destination NSW / Sydney, the SMSP / as well as the CAMS revamp.

The money involved from that side of things (coming IN from gov-co) far outweighs the meagre investments a team like GRM would make to the back hip pocket of V8SC.

There were similar things going on with brands like Albins and even T8 getting grants from VicGov for 'local manufacturing and involvement' etc. All very strange stuff considering those in the know, know a lot of the stuff is even actually made overseas in Asia, just designed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
            If they put on decent supports that would go a long way towards bringing people back. Some of them are great, some are woeful.

SMSP whilst not a bad track to race on, is pretty shit for spectators too...
            How good are superutes!

Originally posted by brasher
            TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post

Because Sydney is a massive market that they want to get back. I still remember early 2000's getting out of Eastern Creek after a V8 round would take 1 hour. Now I can drive track side, watch the race and be out of there in 5 mins..
              That's not a Sydney thing...went to Queensland Raceway 2004, 2005 and 2011 and it was exactly the same as you describe. 1hr+ out of the carpark in 04 and 05, followed by standstill traffic on the roads out, compared no time at all in 11 and right up to speed without issue, and the carpark / access roads haven't changed a bit in that time.

BMW E21 Racer

ATCC & V8SC Results, Data, Statistics and Discussion from 1960 to now

Comment

Courtney all coked up?

dont know how they, team sidney, snagged coke, but well done.
                then again they sponsored Gardener, when he had no 'car' results in Australia to speak off.
                i am sure others have tried to get them back into the sportClick image for larger version

Name:	coke.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	7110653

Comment

I hate coca cola, but I like that livery.

Definitely a big coup for the team to get such a huge partner on board.

Comment

You'd think that they'd transport it inside a transporter, or put a cover on it before a public announcement was made. Maybe it was on purpose but seems a bit weird to me. If I was Coke I'd be pissed that the launch happened in Sydney traffic...
                    Last edited by RP_Automotive; 04-02-20, 08:15 AM.

Comment

the team launch is today, but a car cover would have been a decent investment.

Comment

Seems amateur hour but probably done to create some buzz.

Comment

Bring back the gatorade livery!!

Comment

Yeah didn’t realise team launch was today so fair game I suppose.

While we’re requesting bringing back liveries...bring back Big Kev!!

Comment

Looking at it - rest of the car is completely blank, no associate sponsors?

No actual base sorted in Sydney yet

Needing staff

Second driver not announced despite Pither being touted

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be another shit show?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
                                I hate coca cola, but I like that livery.

Definitely a big coup for the team to get such a huge partner on board.
                                Livery? It's just red with some Coke stickers.......

Comment

Working...
                                X