Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLO 767
    replied
    They've officially gone full Sports Sedan tube frame spec. I both commend and lament it at the same time. The latter specifically because it really hits home the death of the Australian Touring Car. As most of us once knew it.

I think by definition, touring cars should not be heavy downforce (or any downforce if at all for that matter) cars. Both Roland and Ryan @ DJR have said everything within the last inch of the rules body wise has been exploited to get every single spec of what the shapes will allow.

And you can see it - look at one from behind, those wings are Porsche Cup / GT3 levels of huge. Behind tyre grip, aero is where the silly gains are had and that's the biggest thing they need to address. It will make them shitter cars to drive, no aero not withstanding, but it will make the racing so so much better.

All this nonsense of fucking around with paddle shifters and other stuff that is so far down the priority list - is bizarre considering there's very clear areas that need major and desperate attention. You could make those changes alone and see massive improvements.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post

vs

Good illustration. The air is going to stay attached to the Mustang beautifully until it reaches the trailing edge of the bootlid which has been nicely done. The wing is going to get excellent air. The cross section of the rear wings are different between old and new - if they were both fed the same air I'd expect the older wing to generate more downforce (at the cost of more drag). It looks to have more shape to it.

Leave a comment:

• BeverlyHillsCop
    replied

vs

Leave a comment:

• FLI355
    replied
    From what I've heard the gurney flap on the rear wing did most of the damage in terms of being able to follow closely.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Bob Vegana. View Post
    I reckon they need to find a mint VP and EB, and measure the downforce on those. I reckon that's about where they should be.

It was enough to keep the cars on the track, but the racing was still decent.
    Interesting discussion point here.

The rear wings on those cars were monstrous. In isolation, I don't think they would have produced any less downforce than the current cars. However, the wing on a VP/EB sits lower relative to the roof than the wing on the current cars do. Quite how much downforce a VP/EB era car made would depend on what the flow did when it detached from the roof - I suspect it's not as efficient as the current cars.

Certainly, the aero detailing is a lot better on todays cars - I'm sure they do better things at the front of the car than the older cars did.

I think wake is a big factor here, the modern cars being a lot more optimised for a desirable wake.

Leave a comment:

• irsa76
    replied
    Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
    They have stated there will be a big % drop in the downforce (somewhere in the 65% range). I just hope they listen to the drivers and fans about the paddle shift crap.

Glad there seems to be some competition against SVG. I don't care who it is you dont want to see the same guy win every single race.
    Unless the winning car is a works Holden.
    I agree one driver winning isn't good for the sport, but the complaints seem to be loudest when it's not a factory Holden winning all the time.
    I don't recall many negative comments when Brock won everything, usually by a country mil, even when he as found to be pushing/breaking, the rules.

Leave a comment:

• FLI355
    replied
    They have stated there will be a big % drop in the downforce (somewhere in the 65% range). I just hope they listen to the drivers and fans about the paddle shift crap.

Glad there seems to be some competition against SVG. I don't care who it is you dont want to see the same guy win every single race.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Vegana.
    replied
    I reckon they need to find a mint VP and EB, and measure the downforce on those. I reckon that's about where they should be.

It was enough to keep the cars on the track, but the racing was still decent.

Leave a comment:

• BeverlyHillsCop
    replied
    Holy shit the comments from the mouth breathers on Speedcafe

It's funny the amount of "im not gonna bother watching and following this series any more" comments.. and yet next news story, back to complain some more....

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Originally posted by sirhsv View Post

Ken oath. The aero really needs to come off. At least by half the current levels.

I see the complaints about parity have already kicked off. Sigh..
    IIRC the reduction is going to be about 60%

Yeah, lets hope that doesnt become the talking point of the season...its not as if the top 10 were all Opels so its a bit of a long bow to draw at this stage, and if Cam had tried to defend his position a little more, the result "may" have been different.

Really looking forward to todays quali sessions and races, as they are really ragging them around right on the edge at this circuit

Cmone Shane!!!!

Leave a comment:

• sirhsv
    replied
    Originally posted by TJ View Post
    Bring on the reduction in downforce.

Last few years have become rather processional.
    Ken oath. The aero really needs to come off. At least by half the current levels.

I see the complaints about parity have already kicked off. Sigh..

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied

Hear hear!!!

Cant wait to see them sliding around once the DF is slashed

Leave a comment:

• BeverlyHillsCop
    replied

I hope there really is a huge reduction and that the current renders are not what the finished product will be since they show both models with giant front splitters...

Leave a comment:

• TJ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Yeah, that quali lap was on the limit !!

Jesus...thats a few metres of pipe hahaha ^

Leave a comment:

Working...
X