Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Lap Timers - Current hotness

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lap Timers - Current hotness

Hey guys I'm chasing a lap timer with a lap delta function to help improve my racing. I was looking at the AIM SOLO2, looks like a good kit. Has anyone used it? Or something similar they recommend? Cheers.

https://www.aimsportsystems.com.au/e...2dl/index.html

If you want to improve your lap times, you want something that can do graphical overlay comparisons with your best lap (or someone elses' best lap in your car) with your current lap, this will very quickly help you identify where you need to improve. Vbox does this well, but is pretty expensive. If that AIM SOLO2 can do it for cheaper, it would be a good thing.

For a cheap solution, check out post 8 this thread:

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...ta-acquisition

Comment

I also use racechrono on an old Android phone, export data to laptop running circuit tools to analyse. If you want to get fancy (and more accurate - 10GHz), grab a standalone GPS unit like a QStarz for a hundred bucks or so and pair it to your phone.

Comment

What's the budget and what car is it going in?
        Solo2 is supposed to be very good, the DL would be even better if you can hook it into the ECU of your car.

Comment

Originally posted by ed40 View Post
          Hey guys I'm chasing a lap timer with a lap delta function to help improve my racing. I was looking at the AIM SOLO2, looks like a good kit. Has anyone used it? Or something similar they recommend? Cheers.

https://www.aimsportsystems.com.au/e...2dl/index.html
          That looks pretty good. Pity they donít incorporate a camera into the unit.

Comment

The good thing about AIM is you can plug into OBD2 and get CANBUS data. Each car will be different and some are still a WIP or depend on the community supplying info (like hex addresses to tap).
            Awesome for looking at things like throttle trace, brake pressure, steering angle sensor. Fuck knows what else, modern cars with TPMS, I'd expect tyre pressures too. Awesome data. The one good thing about the electronic era of cars.

All the phone/tablet timers will depend on GPS quality. You need an external GPS or it's known to be off by 2-3 tenths, sometimes half a second. Then you need to supply it adequate power. Charging/lugging my phone hooked up to an external battery charger gets annoying.

There was a Motec output plugin from an old simracing game, F1c99-02. IIRC you could use it with rfactor too. I remember these came with Motec i2 standard. Many hours spent looking at what I had nfi about except trade-off with setup changes. I liked it but it was 10 years ago and not sure if those games were licensed etc

Comment

Iíve got an AIM mychron5 which is the kart version of the dash you posted. The auto track identification works really well and is usually within 0.02 seconds of the offical timing. The analysing software is useful too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugs View Post
                What's the budget and what car is it going in?
                Solo2 is supposed to be very good, the DL would be even better if you can hook it into the ECU of your car.
                Hey mate was looking around $550 which is what it costs to get a solo2 to my door through deamon-tweeks. Its just for a Saloon car so no ob2 connection. Someone told me you are racing F1000's now? Ill have to come and see you next race.

I have been using racechrono but rather something I can bolt to the car and easy to press buttons with your gloves. I really like how the solo2 has the green LED's which light up if you are ahead of personal best.

Sounds like the AIM is a good brand cheers for all the responses everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by StanM3 View Post
                  That looks pretty good. Pity they donít incorporate a camera into the unit.
                  You can add in a camera.
                  https://www.aimsportsystems.com.au/e...2.1/index.html
                  Does the overlays in real time.

I was looking into this subject last week and I want the VBOX Video HD2, but can't justify the price.

I'm currently using one of these
                  https://apextrackcoach.com/
                  and taking video using a Garmin Virb.

But kind of wish I had saved and gone for an AIM Solo + Smarty Cam or Vbox Video.

Comment

prob out of your budget but if you need new gauges then you could maybe go to a race technology dash2pro which is a full race dash and does lap timing as well as live time slip, so you can see if you've gone better or worse through a corner/sector in real time etc. i have the non pro in my adub atm (no time slip) but am about to swap to a pro
                    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Iíll have a VBox Sport for sale very shortly with external antenna. Very accurate. Used a handful of times. Let me know if any interest

Comment

Harryís lap timer + a 10hz skypro gps unit gets a recommendation from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedy View Post
                          Harryís lap timer + a 10hz skypro gps unit gets a recommendation from me.
                          Racechrono + Qstarz 10 hz for me..

Checked out the prices on a Smartycam- $1300 bucks! WTF!

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                          2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Race Capture Pro is something that may be worth looking into if you want something more than just a lap timer, they can be used as a race dash and can log data as well as laptimes.

I run one in my Radical as a delta/predicted lap timer I have a smartphone velcroed to dash for the display. I've set mine up to operate similar to a Vbox, it's logging all my car data and driver inputs (coming from my AIM dash) and also controls my Gopro for video footage. I have a method I use to sync the data to the video in RaceRender afterwards.. time consuming compared to Vbox but the setup was 1/3 of the price.

I think I paid around $900 delivered from the states. Smartycam and Vbox are much simpler to operate and more user friendly but also much more expensive. There was a bit of setup involved pulling CANbus data etc from my AIM ecu.

Comment

The Autosport Labs RaceCapture/Track Mk2 seems to be getting quite a good review for this type of thing. Cheaper than the Vbox as well.
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget
                              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                              X