F1 Azerbaijee by jingo by crikey

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How such an epic corporation failed so hard is incredible. Sure the local contractors would have forgotten to weld that one- or more- but that sort of shit shouldnít get through the pre-race checks. They would have processes to prevent this as itís happened plenty of times before. Looks like it could be fucking nasty too

Comment

Probably just stitched it in a couple of places and she'll be right.. He probably had to also grind the welds off on Monday as well :knock:

Comment

Its not the first time its happened.
        Originally posted by brasher
        TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Just got to watch the Sylvester Stallone Indy car movie to see what happens to manhole covers.....

But what a comedy if errors, if it wasn't so serious it could almost be funny instead of just sad.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

That tow truck driver, icing on the cake. What a fuckup, lol.

Comment

Thatís the kind of shit I expect to see from the special marshals we see in China. Manhole covers coming loose is not that uncommon but the tow truck hitting the bridge is true epic fail. Spectators crossing the bridge at the time must have shat themselves.

Comment

It should be uncommon though, that sort of thing could easily be fatal!

Originally posted by Jim
                I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
                Originally posted by elfturbomax
                What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
                1UZ+1NZ...

Comment

Do Williams get fucked over with penalties if they need to replace bits because of the manhole lid?

Comment

Originally posted by Gats View Post
                    Do Williams get fucked over with penalties if they need to replace bits because of the manhole lid?
                    Realistically they'd be last on the grid anyway...

But yeah you'd think they should be entitled to some leeway on penalties. Hard to be fair with units that may have been on their way out anyway.

Comment

Thinking about it, are manhole lids cast ? If they are they are not going to weld particularly well to start with, and if they can move when driven over, will soon break a weld anyways. To me, when I give it some thought, it is a pretty ordinary way to deal with the problem.

Indeed it would be entirely unfair for Williams to be at all disadvantaged by this unfortunate accident, especially given their grave position otherwise.
                      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
                        Thinking about it, are manhole lids cast ? If they are they are not going to weld particularly well to start with, and if they can move when driven over, will soon break a weld anyways. To me, when I give it some thought, it is a pretty ordinary way to deal with the problem.
                        People keep saying "welded" but Michael Masi said a "clamp" was broken. At no time did they show a guy welding anything even if it was only to fix the one man hole in question. You'd think they'd show that on the coverage. They did show guys with long T bar type devices as if they were tightening nuts which aligns with the notion of clamps of some type.

Comment

yes, they did say that they're clamped at this venue and not welded like some others

Comment

It would depend on the cover type.

Some are bolted down normally, some just use the weight to hold them in place, so need to be welded.

IIRC, Adelaide and gold coast had some covers welded in place where the surround was metal so the lid could be welded. Generally, they were 4 or so welds about an inch long and done in the few days before the event.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes manholes are cast. So they would suck to weld properly.

A lot of sewer manholes have threaded inserts so they can be bolted down (mainly in areas where it floods). It should be specified that any manhole within the track boundaries needs to be changed to a bolt down type. Would save this sort of thing from happening.

Sounds like these might have been bolted/clamped? down though. Who knows if it's a permanent clamp, or some sort of dodgy afterthought though.

Comment

Got info from an mate who is in Baku who will remain confidential. The element that retains the bolts that fix the manhole cover broke. Freak accident really. But its on the straight so such a cover will get quite some force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by Babalouie
                                Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Working...
                                X