Heat cycling tyres in oven

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is it the same? The tyre ovens use a radiated heat source and roll the tyre around to heat it evenly. A dyno works the tyre

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
      How is it the same? The tyre ovens use a radiated heat source and roll the tyre around to heat it evenly. A dyno works the tyre
      tirerack doesn't use an oven. Click the link above. Interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane001 View Post
        tirerack doesn't use an oven. Click the link above. Interesting read.
        We are talking about the same thing. It's just a very inefficient oven that works like a meat rotisserie but with some level of heat retention through the cover.

This is what I was looking at a while ago. Same thing but some different detail on why it is a thing- http://toyotires.com.au/toyo-blog/49...1-scrubbing-in

Comment

We are talking about the same thing. It's just a very inefficient oven that works like a meat rotisserie but with some level of heat retention through the cover.
          No, you didn't read the link. Tirerack specifically state they do not add any artificial heat. "There is no artificial heat added by an oven, forced air or heat lamp." They generate heat in the tyres by running them on the rollers. So heat is generated similar to running them on the track.

Comment

Ive used both the Tirerac method (when many ordering Z214's over the years for the Turbo Taxi) and Gordon Leven oven method (on Hoosier R6/R7 sets).

Both methods are effective but I prefer the science and consistency behind the oven method.

I'm happy with their service and Bill knows his stuff.

Unfortnately, I don't have the luxury of spending an extra day at the track just to heat cycle tyres the old fashioned way but I am sure this is also effective if done correctly.
            BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Same thing but some different detail on why it is a thing- http://toyotires.com.au/toyo-blog/49...1-scrubbing-in
              Nice description of process.

Mentions OK for street tyres too, so will use this service again with the RE71R.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Wouldn't the running them on rollers also help remove the mould release agent?

NFI on what effect a oven would have on it
                you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Snake oil. Tyres are heated in the last part of the manufacturing process. They already have heated the rubber and the long chain molecular structure/bonds are already formed.

Comment

Originally posted by hrd View Post
                    Snake oil. Tyres are heated in the last part of the manufacturing process. They already have heated the rubber and the long chain molecular structure/bonds are already formed.
                    I tend to agree. I was reading an article from 1 tyre shop offering this service. They stated the heat treatment could double or triple the life of a tyre. If that was true, Iím pretty sure the tyre manufacturers would include this in their manufacturing process.

Comment

I think the reality lies somewhere in between.

If a tyre shop claims double/triple tyre life, then I'd be taking that saleman bullshit with a grain of salt.

I do believe the heat cycle/cool down process has some merit when extending tyre life though.

Comment

http://www.suspensionconcepts.com.au...treatment.html

Comment

It seems that there is little debate about the worth of heat cycling/ breaking in new tyres.

I think the TireRack method simulates the traditional method more closely, the question is whether it is simply a matter of heat to break in tyres or is the breaking in by putting the tyre under duress to create heat, of more advantage.

I'd be inclined to believe that the tyre is breaking in in a more usefull manner by creating it's own heat under duress. I think in the end it is a matter of time and money, the TireRack method requires the tyres to be fitted to the rim whereas the Gordon Leven oven is used on the bare tyre which can then be shipped off to wherever the purchaser is.

If I were a serious racing organisation I guess I'd have an inhouse machine to run up all tyres on their rims and it would also induce lateral loads onto the carcass to ensure all parts of the tyre have undergone a normalising procedure.
                          " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Tire Rack mounts the tyre on their rim, does the break in process, takes the tyre off the rim, then ships it to you.
                            Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                            Originally posted by nutttr
                            People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

If Ray Hislop uses that system I'm sold on it. If anyone needs to get the best from their tyres Ray is the man, a big, heavy, angry V8 on undersized tyres, he has been at the front of IPRA for long enough to know what works.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                                Tire Rack mounts the tyre on their rim, does the break in process, takes the tyre off the rim, then ships it to you.
                                They'd want to have a decent selection of rims wouldn't they?

Comment

Working...
                                X