Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat cycling tyres in oven

Always done this for new grooved radial slicks (Z214 R7 etc), but worth it for a 200TW street semi?

http://www.gordonleven.com/zapped4racing/about/
    Attached Files
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Whats the cost V return a set?
    Originally posted by cheapracer
    Sperm are clever little fuckers that got us where we are today. You've never heard of pre-cum by the way?
    Originally posted by Nugs
    That's why I punch myself in the nuts before sex, get them disorientated.

Comment

no
      1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
      The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Is this similar to running in a clutch or engine, which is also unnecessary yet extensively researched and championed by Motorsport nerds with OCD?

Comment

Originally posted by RP_Automotive View Post
          Is this similar to running in a clutch or engine, which is also unnecessary yet extensively researched and championed by Motorsport nerds with OCD?
          Not really.

There is plenty of evidence that proper heat cycling of race tyres is effective.

In my experience, they last longer at optimum grip levels for more track days/heat cycles and taper off more slowly.
          However these were for sub 100TW.

Tyre in question is the RE71R (200TW) but I think it's a lot lower than that in the real world.
          Original question remains, would a tyre like the RE71R provide more track days at optimum grip levels if heat cycling is performed?
          Attached Files

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

I don't have any first hand experience of this.

But it's interesting that Tire Rack offers a service for this, $15 a tyre, but they don't use an oven, they mount the tyres on rims, and run them against some rollers.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=66

At $15 a tyre I would say "why not" but NFI what such a service would cost locally.
            Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
            Originally posted by nutttr
            People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Why can't this just be done in the first session of the day and/or at the local industrial estate on a Sunday, like everyone else does it?
              Originally posted by Mr Jones
              Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Comment

Because according the oven website the tyres need 14 days or so to properly cure.

Probably not an issue when you throw a new set every meeting, but when you are trying to get half a season or so out of a set of tyres it could be worthwhile.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                  I don't have any first hand experience of this.

But it's interesting that Tire Rack offers a service for this, $15 a tyre, but they don't use an oven, they mount the tyres on rims, and run them against some rollers.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=66

At $15 a tyre I would say "why not" but NFI what such a service would cost locally.
                  About $30 from memory. Probably wrong.

Comment

$US15 to mount them on rims and run them on rollers is cheap.
                    Much easier to just shove them in an oven and charge $30 for a little electricity lol.
                    I think the roller option would have to be more effective?

Comment

There's a lot of things going on beyond just the heat. My experience is that you're driving the oils out of the tyre in a controlled manner when you scrub and heat cycle tyres on your car. i don't see how baking them would do anything but make them harder.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMuz View Post
                        There's a lot of things going on beyond just the heat. My experience is that you're driving the oils out of the tyre in a controlled manner when you scrub and heat cycle tyres on your car. i don't see how baking them would do anything but make them harder.
                        Exactly. When you heat cycle them on the car you're actually stressing the fibres in the rubber. Big difference to just heating them up in an oven.

Comment

I looked into this recently. The science makes sense and id try it if there was a cost effective option locally. Think of it as stress relieving the rubber. There is logic to it

Comment

So, in theory it should be possible to do this on a dyno also?
                            " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
                              So, in theory it should be possible to do this on a dyno also?
                              Yep would be pretty much the same as the way tirerack do it.

Only difference with doing it on the track and doing it on a dyno / rollers is cornering stresses.

Comment

Working...
                              X