Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD The Bend MotorSport Park

So who rates this circuit as a real challenge.

I've done about 30 laps across 2 meetings (first really didn't count because blown head gasket).

Last visit a few weeks ago, Saturday was wet, Sunday was good although I tossed my car off the road at T14 by entering too hot on the first lap. Really had to slow it down to go faster.

I must have the attention-span of a gnat because by the time I've got to T17 I'm lost - fark it is a challenge.

I can see this turning into a love/hate affair given the nature of the circuit. I've got some corners right but am a long way from being able to string a lap together. I do rate it as a challenge though - a ball-tearer challenging track

Opinions ?

Will be there in October for lemons

Going to be epic fun with 250cars on track
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

Done a sighting lap only. Doing lemons in October and canít wait

Comment

Because it is a serious discussion.

This has to be the most challenging circuit I've raced and I am wondering what others think

I'll give you a for-instance.

T1 thru T4 are all RH (except a teensy LH at T3) and T4 leads into a quick LH at T5 which is very much like Casey Stoner curve at PI which leads into a LH hair-pin (T6) that if you apex too early means you run out of road on the exit. Organisers placed 2 concrete blocks to delimit track edges because an Excel tripped and inverted himself and they needed to0 get drivers to repsect track limits and avoid digging up the infield - they are not tall but they are tall enough to damage a FF floor.

From T6 you have a series of closing radius RH turns that start quick and if you want to avoid fluffing T11 (T10 is the one that seems to tighten - but probably because you continue to build speed from the exit of T6), you need to lift a bit (or at least I do) to get to drivers-right to make T11/T12 flip-flop.

Then you can go hard to T13 (up hill RH) but don;t over cook it because T14 is a LH that is really easy to run out of kerb on the exit and disappear into the boonies backwards. Too hot into T14 you run out of road, too slow you lose time.

T15 is a greater than 90-degree LH that you need to late apex or you run out of road on exit

T16 is a RH that I can take flat and then the run to T17 (uphill RH that comes back on itself and is very easy to drop a wheel off the edge of the kerb and damage the underside of your car).

By the time I got to T18 I was still mentally reviewing the previous lap and sorting my shit from all the accumulated mistakes from the earlier parts of the lap that I went in a bit slow to make sure I didn't run out of road on the exit. That said - there is heaps of room.

I can find 4 or 5 places where this a second to be had but fark it is a challenge.

Finding car balance is also a small issue - did not get enough dry running to play with bars but at least I think I have a read

To the numpty who asked why this has SD prefix - it is because I wouldn't mind a discussion about how to attack the circuit (40 year old Prod Sports car).

My best was a 2:09 and I reckon I am leaving a minimum of 4 or 5 on the table but for me, that is all about putting in laps - at 67y.o. I'm not as quick as I one was ...... and I do tend to over think things these days (self preservation)

T14 demands the the RR tyre has adequate heat to generate grip on lap 1 (ask me how I know).

This is a challenge I am going to return to more than once .....

Comment

You have to watch the onboards many, many times.

You don't want to waste timing learning the track and thinking about where you are, when are at your mental limit at speed.

This one is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TD9DGGDRRo
          BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

Okay, pleading ignorance here.

I'd never heard of this track before now. This track is clearly as technical as VIR. Why is this track not utilised for V8 SC 12hrs?

Comment

This discussion reminds me a little of the time required to adapt to the IOM TT circuit, i.e. it can take years...

Clearly it's not as complex, but I imagine it would take some learning.

I haven't driven there, but we ran our car there a month or so ago, & it does take some time by all accounts.

Comment

It's available on rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa, both are unfinished tracks but the rFactor 2 version is better.

Comment

Agree it looks to be a very difficult technical track. Watching that Porsche in car there doesn't appear to be much flow to it.

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
                    You have to watch the onboards many, many times.

You don't want to waste timing learning the track and thinking about where you are, when are at your mental limit at speed.

This one is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TD9DGGDRRo
                    Thats good, but long 7.7km track and not the 4.5km version used in SA State Champs - good primer though - thanks for the URL

Comment

Originally posted by 1uz-zte View Post

I'd never heard of this track before now. This track is clearly as technical as VIR. Why is this track not utilised for V8 SC 12hrs?
                      Supercars Inc is talking about an enduro there next year. I thought I read that it might be in place of PI for a sprint round but track owners seem to be angling for an endurance race as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 1uz-zte View Post

It's a one-year old circuit at Tailum Bend in Sth Aust. Built by the Shahin brothers (who own all the BP Servo's in SA) for a motza (well north of $100mill with a poofteenth of govco momey added in - govco paid for the roadworks on the Princes Highway to create turning lanes into the circuit from both directions, pretty much everything else was the Shahin's).

Has a 200 room motel above the pit building. Pits are massive (maybe 5m x 8m bays, each with their own roller-door, there must be 40 of them). Each bay can swallow 2 cars easily. Then there are carports and sheds at the back of the pits. Someone that found all the really good motorpsort corners and strung them together into a sequence over 4.5klics for the national circuit (18 turns). The GT circuit at 7.7klics has 35 corners .........

Comment

Originally posted by BGTV8 View Post
                          It's a one-year old circuit at Tailum Bend in Sth Aust. Built by the Shahin brothers (who own all the BP Servo's in SA) for a motza (well north of $100mill with a poofteenth of govco momey added in - govco paid for the roadworks on the Princes Highway to create turning lanes into the circuit from both directions, pretty much everything else was the Shahin's).

Has a 200 room motel above the pit building. Pits are massive (maybe 5m x 8m bays, each with their own roller-door, there must be 40 of them). Each bay can swallow 2 cars easily. Then there are carports and sheds at the back of the pits. Someone that found all the really good motorpsort corners and strung them together into a sequence over 4.5klics for the national circuit (18 turns). The GT circuit at 7.7klics has 35 corners .........
                          They also decided to add pretty much every other type of motorsport too- drift, karts, rally x, off road, building a motorcross and drag circuit, skid pan, possibly a vehicle testing area, has old Mitsubishi proving ground features still etc.

I met with Sam about the facility and commended him on the effort into Australian motorsport and he said "Well if you love something you have to do it". I guess when you're Scrooge McDuck rich that's what you do!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane001 View Post
                            Watching that Porsche in car there doesn't appear to be much flow to it.
                            Seems to be a fair bit of flow to the shorter version.

2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                            2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                            2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

I've been in the Lotus Robin and agree the track is a super technical challenge. I must admit I didn't rate it after my first session as I thought it was more like a patience track than something you can attack (a bit like Broadford can be) - however after a few more laps I really enjoyed the challenge of it, but that a decent crack was needed to get a good time out.

I do think however that the track would lose it's charm if you had a car capable of doing the quad right T7-10 complex flat out (using the 4.5km layout - it's a shame the long layout loses that bit really). In the Lotus on R Comps T7 was the only corner in that complex that was flat. But I'd expect something like a Radical or maybe even the GT's to be flat through there and that would take away the highlight of the place IMO.

But those of us that went have said if you can do a weekend per year at The Bend, Phillip Island and Bathurst then that's going to be a very happy mix for anyone really.

Comment

Working...
                              X