Challenge Bathurst 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reedy View Post
    I was pissed about the race suit thing last year because I found about that regulation after I’d already paid my entry. This year they did the same with gloves and balaclava but at least most of us have that stuff already.

if they are just clear with these requirements up front then it’s fine to insist on higher level safety gear. But telling you about it after taking your money sucks!
    Yep and you lose $300 to cancel.. CAMS are only imposing F1 safety standards to reduce their insurance costs, duck me my log booked car is already crash proofed. I honestly don't understand why Australians generally are so soft as to bend over and cop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neesan View Post

Yep and you lose $300 to cancel.. CAMS are only imposing F1 safety standards to reduce their insurance costs, duck me my log booked car is already crash proofed. I honestly don't understand why Australians generally are so soft as to bend over and cop it.
      What a load of shit.

Comment

If you reckon having to wear your $20 aldi helmet, and double layer suit with some gloves and a balaclava is near F1 standards, I suggest you have a look at what it actually costs for safety gear at a reasonable standard.

I for one, having been on both sides of the fence, being the one scraped off the track and doing the scraping is quite happy that standards of safety are being introduced to these events.

Bathurst as a track is not a place you want gear lacking if it all turns to a heap of shit and feathers.....

Seeing the size of the small balls that top spec cars are turned into regularly, I doubt some backyarder has built a crash proof car.....

Comment

I guess I’m soft and copped it from behind lining up in the Qld sun in 35• heat of in an open car wearing suit, gloves, shoes, Hans and good helmet a couple of weeks back. Or maybe I just have more to live for than the respect you get from being a hard cunt.
          Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Let the internet arguments begin.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...-record-127530

https://youtu.be/gYIwR2BIr_g

Comment

And R Greenup has to have a go in the comments.

Comment

There is a good reason why all three SEQ tracks have gone with AASA now for their sprints and regujlarity, by popular demand from the competitors in the case of Morgan Park. But I guess that they are all wrong too and should be happy to be bent over by CAMS just because.

And I have Bathurst experience at up to 250 kph so I have some clue about safety there, drive sensibly and it's fine but I guess that the cotton wool nanny culture has taken hold and we all have to be protected at any cost. What have we become, duck me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                  And R Greenup has to have a go in the comments.
                  Oooooh, someone made a comment, he stuck his head up, the cheek. Actually old mate Phil in his Datto 280ZX went through the Kink flat at near 270 kph, real balls of steel there.

Comment

There is a good reason why all three SEQ tracks have gone with AASA now for their sprints and regujlarity, by popular demand from the competitors in the case of Morgan Park. But I guess that they are all wrong too and should be happy to be bent over by CAMS just because.
                    Out of curiousity, do the QLD tracks mandate AASA ? Down here in NSW, its up to the meeting organisers to decide which organisation to use - I've run and competed in events at both Wakefield and SMSP under both CAMS and AASA.
                    Last edited by dave1600; 28-11-20, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Oooooh, someone made a comment, he stuck his head up, the cheek. Actually old mate Phil in his Datto 280ZX went through the Kink flat at near 270 kph, real balls of steel there.
                      The telemetry is a bit wacky because it was using the wheel speed sensor which is not accurate at that speed. Jeff’s GPS speed was actually 299kph.

it was fun going out to dinner last night and listening in on the table next to us raving about this lap time. They’re wondering who the fk this nobody is that’s beaten a factory backed effort as a privateer. No idea he was literally sitting right behind them.
                      Last edited by Reedy; 28-11-20, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkside View Post
                        I heard from a mate there that day 1 of the sprints was a bit of a red flag shit show ? At least it was in his group. Makes me feel slightly less shit about not making it while I wait for an engine to get rebuilt. Still have unfinished business there. I heard this was the last year of the multi year deal signed for the event and no guarantees they will resign. Aren’t too many ways other than a door to door racing (and I think Porsche and lotus club events ) to get access to that track.
                        Yes, all 2 days were an absolutely ridiculous. I don't think I can remember 1 session from any of the supersprint groups which did not have a red flag.

Comment

I respect Jeff and the man can obviously steer, but claiming a production car record is a bit of a stretch. The car is stripped out with probably $20k+ worth of Tractiv suspension, it is not longer a production car, the same way Manthey Racing can't claim they have a production car record for the Nurburgring, they might have street legal record, but it isn't a production car.

Comment

^^^^ This. It’s a cracking time and a great car and well steered but it’s not a production car.. ie hasn’t just rolled out of the lot and gone to baffurst. We aren’t comparing apples with apples.

Comment

Just to clarify are the safety requirements the same as Lemons? Fireproof suit, balaclava, neck restraint, gloves?

Comment

Originally posted by darkside View Post
                                ^^^^ This. It’s a cracking time and a great car and well steered but it’s not a production car.. ie hasn’t just rolled out of the lot and gone to baffurst. We aren’t comparing apples with apples.
                                Yea it’s always going to gather some controversy.

he has suspension yes, but also has the weight of a full roll cage added, as well as tyres that aren’t regarded as well as the Michelin’s. So give and take a little there. It’s not official, but it’s got people talking.

I think the MR comparison is fair because it’s true that the car isn’t totally bone stock, but the level of performance enhancing mods is fairly minimal and in some cases actually detrimental.
                                Last edited by Reedy; 28-11-20, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X