RIP Targa Tassie guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sloth View Post

which, quite honestly is fucking stupid and asking for a lawsuit in cases like this.
    DOT so no "slicks"

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post

RIP Targa Tas, no sport in the country has had three fatalities in as many days.

1998 sydney to hobart had 6

Comment

Originally posted by bb671 View Post

1998 sydney to hobart had 6
        Not a sport

Comment

Not a nice outcome. Standards still be lifted after this. As tech advances, cars get faster, regs will need to keep up.

Comment

Without knowing too many details at all the RX7 crash looks unlucky... the Porsche looks like a case of high speed and tree unfortunately. More can be done to limit power/top speeds. Was Targa Tas using virtual chicanes with rallysafe?

Comment

Might have been mentioned, but It looked to me that Navin probably drowned ​​​​​​
              RX7 crashed upside down in a creek.
              A friend who competed in this event confirmed that Navin did drown.

Comment

Damn Rerminds me of Possum Bourne's old co-driver way back.

Fuckin' RIP.

Comment

Wow, thats fucking tough.

.... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by richzx View Post

A friend who competed in this event confirmed that Navin did drown.
                    That’s nightmare fuel. fuck.
                    Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by 1uz-zte View Post
                      Damn Rerminds me of Possum Bourne's old co-driver way back.

Fuckin' RIP.
                      Rodger Freeth died from a branch coming in through the rear window and hitting him.

posted elsewhere:

Update from my uncle in the fire service re: the crashed GT3. Was going 200+ over a crest, would’ve gone light/airborn, come unsettled on landing and pinned straight into the tree and turned the car into a triangle. No sign they had time to even use the brakes. Rotors were found 50 metres away from the car there was so much force

Comment

RIP Targa Tas, no sport in the country has had three fatalities in as many days.
                        5 in 30 years, meanwhile ball sports in Australia averages just under 10/year. Yes I know the participation rates are a lot higher in ball sports.

[from 2000 to 2016] There were 913 deaths in organised sports, with 89% being male. The largest group was 45–54 year olds (23%) and the smallest was 65 to 74 year olds (15%). The three sports groups accounting for the highest proportion of deaths were team ball sports (23%), wheeled motor sports (12%) and individual water sports (11%). Within team ball sports there were 98 deaths in organised football (Australian Rules, Rugby Union and Rugby League). Overall, the cause of death was cardiac, e.g. congestive cardiac failure and acute coronary syndrome, in 56% of cases, blunt force trauma in 29% and drowning in 7%. Cardiac deaths increased with age while blunt force trauma deaths reduced with age.

source: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/4/360.3

Comment

Whats the solution?

Limit power, speed (how) more tyres?

.... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

power limits and better tyre options and higgher level licensing for drivers.
                            I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                            WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                            robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                              power limits and better tyre options and higgher level licensing for drivers.
                              It's a bloody tricky one.

Viewed from a circuit racing point of view, it's pretty crazy. GT3 Porsche speed with trees on the edge of the road. Cutting down a lot of trees, or installing a lot of barriers aren't really viable options.

Better tyres - I disagree with this to be honest. The addition of faster tyres only leads to bigger accidents as drivers will use the increased grip to go faster. More tyres kind of leads down the same path - if you went to say 8 tyres, you would then choose tyres that would last half the event, rather than the current situation where you choose tyres to last the majority of the event on the low wearing axle, and throw a new set of tyres at the axle that wears most.

Power limits would be a nightmare to enforce - everyone would cheat to be under the limit.

Comment

Maybe a better spec cage for the more powerful cars?

Dr Hoon

Comment

Working...
                                X