• Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: Vb-Vl manual steering rack

Long shot but worth the ask
    I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Shifty might be willing to part with one

Comment

I have a vl ps rack in Gosford if you get desperate.
      Originally posted by Einstein
      The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Originally posted by carcrazy View Post
        I have a vl ps rack in Gosford if you get desperate.
        Nah, need a manual one for my VS ute, thanks anyway

Comment

Got my vl manual rack & diff housings off this Daryl dude who had 20-30 vl's on the farm but now clearing them out to move.Bit of a cranky bastard to deal with at times...when he has manual racks you got to get in quick or miss out.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/liverpool/wrecking/wrecking-10-vl-berlina-sl-commodore-calais-v8-6-cylinder/1179057670

Couple weeks back Melb mob was selling china-copy manual racks again $450 no intermediate shaft.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-C...gAAOSw7oleM91c

With vl rack you put bottom splined uni onto vs intermediate.

With vb-vk manual rack need much longer/custom intermediate shaft to go with vs top uni & bottom splined as vb-vk manual has shorter shaft off the rack then later vl.
          (above is more easily available & cheaper just fuck around making longer intermediate shaft & swapping in vb-k crossmember)

Done it to vp shitbox...sometimes think astra electric pump would have been less of a headfuck.
          Last edited by gtrboyy; 08-04-20, 12:29 AM.
          an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

There's a vl manual rack, intermediate shaft and column on gumtree in canbera.
            Originally posted by Einstein
            The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
              Got my vl manual rack & diff housings off this Daryl dude who had 20-30 vl's on the farm but now clearing them out to move.Bit of a cranky bastard to deal with at times...when he has manual racks you got to get in quick or miss out.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/liverpool/wrecking/wrecking-10-vl-berlina-sl-commodore-calais-v8-6-cylinder/1179057670

Couple weeks back Melb mob was selling china-copy manual racks again $450 no intermediate shaft.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-C...gAAOSw7oleM91c

With vl rack you put bottom splined uni onto vs intermediate.

With vb-vk manual rack need much longer/custom intermediate shaft to go with vs top uni & bottom splined as vb-vk manual has shorter shaft off the rack then later vl.
              (above is more easily available & cheaper just fuck around making longer intermediate shaft & swapping in vb-k crossmember)

Done it to vp shitbox...sometimes think astra electric pump would have been less of a headfuck.
              Might just get a china rack from that melb mob. I’ll dowel the VS input spline over the VL. It’s really a safety issue because the steering in my VS is too heavy to make quick alterations to wall trajectory if something goes to shit at the track

Comment

Originally posted by carcrazy View Post
                There's a vl manual rack, intermediate shaft and column on gumtree in canbera.
                Saw an intermediate shaft for $400 at Gargling

Comment

Yeah I'd drove mine with power rack unassisted...way too heavy & hard to correct when sideways hence getting proper manual rack...it's tad heavy slow driving & parking with 205/60/15 but with front runners it'd be easier,normal speeds it's good.

Some people say vl intermediate is different but to me comparing bottom knuckle/universal to vb-k item they looked same length to me.

Think allsteer guy on ebay was selling vb-vk intermediate $50 or so...only need bottom splined piece anyway.

Don't do pin bs just get cheap vb-k intermediate swap over just using a vice & sockets.

Seen cheap intermediate shafts & vb-k racks out your way on scumtree a few times.
                  an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

Do you mean this will slide onto the VL rack?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMMODOR...4AAOSwxM5d9Pm8

vb-k racks are too narrow and mounting tabs are different

Comment

Buy vl rack...buy vh/k or vl manual intermediate.

Look at jigsaw puzzle of parts to adapt to your setup
                      Last edited by gtrboyy; 08-04-20, 11:46 PM.

Comment

This might be worth lowballing for bottom splined piece

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-V....c100010.m2109
                        Last edited by gtrboyy; 08-04-20, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Info is all over the place, Jesus

Comment

Are those aftermarket manual VL racks any good, good to know they are available.

They were a rarity 20 years ago, must be getting hard to find one now.

Comment

I’ll let you know

Comment

Working...
                              X