FS: 1989 A70 Turbo Supra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 1989 A70 Turbo Supra

Just doing my grandmother's partner a favour for him and promised to pass on his details to the internet.

He's selling his 1989 Turbo Supra and you guys seem the sort that might be interested. I'd probably take it myself but I wish to stay married, plus I've already got one wedgy 80's thing in the garage.

From what I've seen it looks pretty mint:
    - Originally sold new to Gary Wilkinson (Channel 7 Motorsports commentator).
    - 7MGTE with 270,000km - engine rebuild at 200,000km (presumably BHG).
    - Modified new - 90's style wheels as pictured, adjustable front suspension.

There is some story about it having a balanced motor out of a car that was used in practice at Bathurst, however I'd probably take that with a grain of salt given it's had a rebuild anyway. I believe it allegedly has 400-450hp.

Regardless of the story behind the engine it's pretty mint and he's only the third owner and asking $14k. Step 2 can be 2JZTE/1UZ/1FZ/LS1 whatever.

Glenn and the car are based in Gympie, if anyone's interested just send me a PM and I'll tee you up with him.

Also it appears the collective internet has no idea how much these things are worth (they are very much the unloved one) so any feedback on his price is welcome. Seems a good deal the way 80's stuff is going. But I'm an 80's JDM tragic and love velour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8bnhZPu.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	7183355

Sounds right up Norbies street

Comment

Love those era Toyota’s. The plush velour reminds me of my aunties Tarago Growing up except it was red 😜

Comment

Fuck yeah...so much 80s. Looks in great nick too. Would love to put in a nasty 2j and slam folks. A great one to put in the car shed and hold (if I had a proper car shed )
        RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Price updated to $14,500ish for accuracy, apparently my mum told me the wrong thing!

I’d buy it myself if I had more garage and less responsibilities. And probably fewer than four cars already.

Comment

Yep. You'd be much better off buying that Val wagon you know you must.......

Comment

that looks pretty damn clean, manual too. wrong state for me and i really shouldnt anyway.... but damn
              1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Comment

this is nice
                www.holditflat.com

Comment

Want, but can't park the cars I already have and don't have any free time to drive it so you know.

Super neat for it's age!
                  Originally posted by brasher
                  TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Dang, that's really neat and tidy. Always loved this shape

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                      I’d buy it myself if I had more garage and less responsibilities. And probably fewer than four cars already.
                      Park it at yours and payment plan. Sorted!

Looks super well looked after, manual too... you won't find another one like this.
                      '13 Yamaha R1 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

ok had a drive of this and it is nice

externally:
                        paint is great- 10c sized piece of clearcoat missing around one of the door handles, some stone chips on bonnet- really nothing of note, it's in good nick
                        no rust or rust bubbles seen at all, original spare tyre in boot haha.
                        some exterior plastics have some crazing or slight cracking, would need some treatment etc. maybe replace or recoat. main items are the boots for the wing mirrors. don't really see it until pointed out though.

Interior:
                        perfect. the seats have the 80's velour. and inflatable lumbar support! it's cool as.
                        aricon and radio all work fine. it's really nice place to be cruising around.

driveline:
                        gearbox a little notchy but perfectly fine- one of the few major items that hasn't been replaced/refurbished so it's doing well.
                        small weep from valve cover gasket, literally not a problem
                        the blue printed motor is in the workshop, it had some damage. the original engine was rebuilt and put back into it, so it's currently the stock original engine, maybe 60,000km old. would be cool to rebuild the bathurst motor and slot it back in at some point.
                        Because it is the stock motor it's not a rocketship.
                        it's running about 5psi doesn't seem to hold boost past that- i would guess an actuator or something is sticking. the motor itself appears very healthy but aforementioned boost issue makes it a bit asthmatic up top.
                        But basically to drive around it's absolutely fine, took it up some sweeping roads and it was excellent.

in the last 18 months it has had:
                        new steering rack
                        new starter
                        new alternator
                        new brakes and rotors
                        and a couple other items

overall condition is 9/10 i reckon, it's a great time capsule piece to cruise around in.
                        i had to pass on it for reasons unrelated to the car, but recommend someone grab this, fix boost issue and use it as weekend cruiser.
                        Last edited by clutch-monkey; 12-10-20, 07:08 PM.
                        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                        Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

PM sent
                          Out of the darkness and midst of night, comes a beast so fearsome, many dare not challenge, or alas, the power of toyota's mystical TURBO's shall otherwise fall upon thee!

Comment

No worries mate. Hope you got my message and managed to see it.

Comment

We fell in love and my mate bought it. Cant wait to get her home and give her more love and attention. Thanks for sharing it.
                              Out of the darkness and midst of night, comes a beast so fearsome, many dare not challenge, or alas, the power of toyota's mystical TURBO's shall otherwise fall upon thee!

Comment

Working...
                              X