WTBL Bris.. Old PC

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fail on my side, I think the thing is too modern!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Bummer...
      Thanks for looking.

Comment

I may still have my old PC from around 10 years ago.

I get to Brisbane on the 22nd if you haven't found anything suitable by then and can drop it off to you.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Turns out the computers Speedyblue has only have PCI slots.
          If you look at google images for 'ISA slot', one of the first pics shows a motherboard with the PCI and ISA slots incorrectly labeled, hence the confusion

So I'm still on the hunt.....

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
          I've probably got something on Brisbane northside in the garage if the others don't come through. Depends if I chucked them when I moved a few years ago.
          Would you mind having a look please??

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
          I may still have my old PC from around 10 years ago.

I get to Brisbane on the 22nd if you haven't found anything suitable by then and can drop it off to you.
          I think it would have to be a fair bit more than 10 years old, but I'd appreciate it if you could check.

For those who don't remember or weren't born yet, ISA slots are the long black ones circled in red here:

THANKS

Comment

In China this week but back on the weekend. Will have a look then. Yep I know what an ISA slot is.

Comment

Legend. Thanks.

Comment

These things are actually getting to be worth a bit of coin for old hardware now, believe it or not. People wanting to play old dos games in native res so they don't look so bad.

I've got an aopen AX6b which has a PII on it at the moment but im pretty sure I have a p3 450 hiding somewhere too if you want it. In the gold coast hinterland, but I could probably post it out if you dont want to drive.
                Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
                This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Thanks! Looks like the AX6b has a couple of ISA slots so it would be ideal.
                  PM incoming.

Comment

I've also got some old junk hardware I can check out. I've just moved to Ormeau which is an easy drive down the M1

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Gammaboy
                    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Comment

Thank you.
                      And thanks for not throwing it out when you moved

Comment

Heh, I should've but I have a stupid attachment to the old shit

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Gammaboy
                        PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Comment

This sort of thing is readily available.
                          https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328924...ts-1-IDE-1-COM
                          Originally posted by Jim
                          the only decent six pot holden ever put in a car was the nissan RB30

Comment

Wow, thanks... I didn't know that.
                            I'd still rather get a complete box, rather than have to source a case, ps, old style RAM and processor etc etc..
                            Good to know it's an option though..

Comment

I'm struggling with this old junk again.
                              The computer in question randomly refuses to start up. Usually a few attempts and it goes.
                              Today I couldn't get it to boot at all.
                              It spins the HDD but doesn't display anything, not even the BIOS stuff at the beginning of the start sequence.
                              When I press the power button, the power led blinks, the keyboard lights blink once, the HDD whizzes a bit and that's it.

Today I swapped all my spares through this thing including 2xPCI vid cards, 1x AGP card, RAM sticks, power supply, CMOS batteries, cloned IDE HDD's, monitors and finally the motherboard that Madhatr gave me with no success.

Finding replacement PCs from 1999 era hasn't been easy so I'm considering something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Embe...AbTest=ae803_5

I think the Chinglish is saying it has onboard video, RAM and processor and most importantly, 2xISA slots?

Any reason this won't run a pure DOS application in a DOS environment properly? (ie not under windows or dosbox etc)
                              I understand x86 means it *should* be backward compatible but I can't help thinking it would have a hiccup somehow..

Any old computer gurus wish to comment?
                              Anyone still got their win98 computer they retired in 2001?

Ta.

Comment

If you did a grandpa's axe rebuild then you must be doing something wrong (or your spares are fucked too)?

Comment

Working...
                                X