Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTBL Bris.. Old PC

I'm looking for an old PC to set up as a spare/backup for one that I currently use.
    It needs to be from around the Pentium I or II era, will probably be 500Mhz or so to run 98 or XP.
    Must have at least 2 ISA slots. (the old long black card slot).

Does anyone have one they retired 10 years ago they are willing to part with?

Ta.

Originally posted by uuheels View Post
    I'm looking for an old PC to set up as a spare/backup for one that I currently use.
    It needs to be from around the Pentium I or II era, will probably be 500Mhz or so to run 98 or XP.
    Must have at least 1 ISA slot (the old long black card slot).

Does anyone have one they retired 10 years ago they are willing to part with?

Ta.
    I reckon so.
    I'll check tonight.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Excellent, thank you.
      I had two or three, but they were binned when I last moved house 3 yrs ago..

Comment

what goes in the ISA slot?

Comment

I have 3-4 old pc's I'm about to bin. Pretty sure one will have an ISA thingy if you're stuck. On the GC though.
          I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
            what goes in the ISA slot?
            An oddball old I/O card.

Originally posted by Speedyblue View Post
            I have 3-4 old pc's I'm about to bin. Pretty sure one will have an ISA thingy if you're stuck. On the GC though.
            Thanks, I'll see how Gamma goes. I get down to the GC often enough if you are able to hold them for a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
              I reckon so.
              I'll check tonight.
              Any luck?

Comment

Ah fuck, forgot! Will look tonight.
                "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

I just checked and I have a few with that slot. One even still has an old modem card in it.
                  I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

does the card have drivers for XP? there are a couple of industrial motherboards for Core 2 Duo's that still had ISA slots if you wanted to go to a new machine

Comment

i have a mint ibm aptiva at home, i am not sure what the specs are but it came with windows 95. I have all the disc and and that shit with it.

let me go home and check, i remember I couldn't open the case from the back (was stuck or something?)

what are you using such an old machine for?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedyblue View Post
                        I just checked and I have a few with that slot. One even still has an old modem card in it.
                        Thanks for looking. Are you able to hang onto them for a couple of weeks until I next head down that way?
                        Between these and what Gamma might have, I should be able to get something running

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
                        does the card have drivers for XP? there are a couple of industrial motherboards for Core 2 Duo's that still had ISA slots if you wanted to go to a new machine
                        It doesn't need to be a powerhouse by any means as the main application runs in dos, but I was hoping to dual boot in with winxp also, to give the ability to r/w files from a USB stick and better printing options.

Originally posted by im_boostn View Post
                        i have a mint ibm aptiva at home, i am not sure what the specs are but it came with windows 95. I have all the disc and and that shit with it.

let me go home and check, i remember I couldn't open the case from the back (was stuck or something?)

what are you using such an old machine for?
                        Thanks, but if you're in Melb it's probably not economical to send it.
                        It controls an outdated machine via I/O cards in the ISA slots and runs dos, so it needs to be an old shitter. It's all working fine now, but I'd like to assemble a working backup (or two!) now, rather than in 5 years when the bits may be harder to get.

Comment

I've probably got something on Brisbane northside in the garage if the others don't come through. Depends if I chucked them when I moved a few years ago.

Surely there's some stuff on ebay for fuck all too?

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                            I've probably got something on Brisbane northside in the garage if the others don't come through. Depends if I chucked them when I moved a few years ago.

Surely there's some stuff on ebay for fuck all too?
                            There's actually very little stuff on eBay, probably because they are worth nothing...

Comment

I only wanted the case, i was going to gut the thing and install a full water loop rig and have a retro tower for looks.

Comment

Working...
                              X