Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

batt light - poke what with multimeter to diagnose?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

batt light - poke what with multimeter to diagnose?

battery light on. car starts/goes fine. i assume it's a regulator issue. but who knows. i have a general idea, but not really. tell me what to poke at to get numbers that say 12 and 14 and prove that something is stuffed so i can buy that part and fix it for no dollars

it does have an intermittent miss, that has been getting more common, but goes away if you take your foot off the throttle for a sec and then it drives normally
    Originally posted by 350stato
    100% agree with Shifty

Start by testing voltage at battery, then take the positive lead of the meter and check what voltage you have on the exciter wire with the ignition on. This is the smaller wire that runs to your dash light. Then start car and check voltage at battery and also the B+ terminal on the alternator. This is the bigger wire.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

You might also want to check earth continuity whilst you have the meter out, check resistance of alt to earth.

But yea if the light is on then generally it's the reg.
      2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
      2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
      I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

What car?

Comment

^ Wat 'e said.
          Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
          '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
          MS85 Crown Super Sedan - Farm Car - Running 3rd 4M - Future project
          '66 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 Manual Coupe
          '66 Jaguar S-Type 3.8 Auto Sedan
          - Long Term Jobs

Comment

Working...
          X