X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulated 5V power supply

Hi,

I am looking at powering two in car cameras from the electrical system of the car rather than internal batteries. Only issues is they are 5V devices (USB spec). So, what options are there, what do people do to provide regulated 5V power? I was trying to stay away from cigarette style adapters as well.

This is in a rally car.

Thanks
    Paul

A couple of DC-DC regulated converters should do the trick.
    9~36V input 5V regulated output. Up to 0.6A load.
    Jaycar/Altronics should stock these.

Comment

Most small electronic devices use a 1A supply.

Go Pro recommend a 1A charger when recording but state anything between 500mA and 1A is suitable

Edit - Would be worth checking on the vibration and heat specs on any package.

Comment

LM7805 regulator with a small heatsink, vry cheap and easy enough to solder in.
        www.DRIVENFX.com Performance Engine Building, Auto Electrical (Wiring Looms, ECU Installs, Diganoses and Repair), Custom Automotive Electronics, Car Preparation, Car Setup, Trackside Services,

PM me for more info

Comment

As Glenno says, use one of these for each camera. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZV1505

If you really want to get carried away, add a capacitor and inductor but I personally wouldn't bother!

cheers
          Gaz
          Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
          www.vsport.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ914 View Post
            If you really want to get carried away, add a capacitor and inductor but I personally wouldn't bother!

cheers
            Gaz
            Camera gear will have it's own filtering so not worth the drama.
            www.DRIVENFX.com Performance Engine Building, Auto Electrical (Wiring Looms, ECU Installs, Diganoses and Repair), Custom Automotive Electronics, Car Preparation, Car Setup, Trackside Services,

PM me for more info

Comment

Thanks for that guys, I'll go to jaycar tomorrow arvo and get some.

Paul

Comment

7805's are ok. They chew the current a bit though! Jaycar has a new heavy duty version that's 1 amp or better don't remember the part # right now but the counter nerd should.
                If your on a slim current budget then a cheap cig lighter-usb charger (possibly from jaycar) could be gutted for its board is quite small and most supply an amp or 2 with much better efficiency. This board could mount up under your dash and wire it to sockets (an old usb hub or another visit to jaycar).

Comment

Went to Jaycar, nerd behind the counter was useless, end result 5 7805's on my desk with heat sinks sitting next to them.

Just waiting on a wire delivery now.

Comment

Bit late but would a Cheap little incar 12volt to 240volt inverter running a computer power supply work. They output 12 and 5v dc I think.
                    Originally posted by E-Z
                    If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                      I was trying to stay away from cigarette style adapters as well.
                      Get one, pull it apart - they're easy to strip, then hardwire it in. easy.
                      GT-P
                      Bandsenkowagon

Comment

Read post #6 on this thread on VFR Discussions for suggestions.

Comment

If you are pulling 1A at 5V via a 7805 running from 12V+ you'll be generating a shitload of heat because it's just a linear regulator. 7W is a lot to get rid of. 7805s don't really "chew any current".

If USB what about this?
                          http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...r&form=KEYWORD

Comment

Working...
                          X