X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footwell Lighting

Ok.

So I want to install some footwell lighting activated with the interior light for both the front seat passengers, and some mounted under the front seats for the rear passengers.

Install is done

But, My problem is hooking into the door jam interior light switch.

There is only one wire coming out the back of it.

It is live (+) when door is closed, and has no power when door is open, which is the reverse of what I want, and the reverse of how the interior light operates.

Where should I be hooking these footwell lights Positive and earth wires?
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC
    2013 Kia Rio
    2018 LDV T60

Generally the ground is an earth, so when the door is open it earths and completes the circuit.

In that case you wire +ve to permanent 12v and the earth to the door switch.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
      Generally the ground is an earth, so when the door is open it earths and completes the circuit.

In that case you wire +ve to permanent 12v and the earth to the door switch.
      Cool thanks, I was going to try that, but found it strange that the door switch wire i'll be earthing to has power already?
      2013 Opel Insignia OPC
      2013 Kia Rio
      2018 LDV T60

Comment

Originally posted by GTREA View Post
        Cool thanks, I was going to try that, but found it strange that the door switch wire i'll be earthing to has power already?
        you will always have power on one side of a switch, in this case its going battery -> light -> door switch -> ground/earth. Much the same as the bonnet switches used on car alarms
        you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

What car? Might already have wiring inplace.
          For my VS I just tapped off the wire leading to the interior light up the driver's A pillar.

Comment

R32 GTR

All done now, wired as per above advice.....just did'nt seem to make sense at the time (wiring lights earth into something that had power)
            2013 Opel Insignia OPC
            2013 Kia Rio
            2018 LDV T60

Comment

Originally posted by GTREA View Post
              R32 GTR

All done now, wired as per above advice.....just did'nt seem to make sense at the time (wiring lights earth into something that had power)
              It would measure 12v with a multimeter, but as soon as you try and draw a decent amount of current off it, it would drop dramatically because it's going through a relay or globe .

Comment

Working...
              X