X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Light staying on - Charging a-ok though

Hello fellas,

I'm just working through some issues with the Bluebird that have been bothering me.

When the engine was swapped for a VQ30 from an L20B, I simply cut the connector off the old alternator and attached it to the new alternator. The colours were W/R and Y. The colours matched, so they were joined that way.

The car charges the battery ok. ECU shows plenty of voltage when it's running. No problems there.

With the original dash in place the charge light would never go out. It was on constantly. I have since swapped the original dash out for a Racepak and a incandescent warning lamp and it's doing the same thing.

I have de-pinned and swapped the wires around at the alternator and it simply stopped charging and the light didn't work at all. So I swapped it back.

What am I missing here? Do I need some kind of dog-food-can™ trickery on the warning lamp wiring to make it work correctly? If so, what do I need?

Thanks lads

Tim

My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I think that if the voltage reg is screwed, it could be supplying charge, but the alt light is on. IIRC this is not a good thing tho as it'll fry everything eventually.
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

if the voltage is OK put some tape over the charging light? taking the bulb out might make it not work so don't do that.

Comment

The light is independent of charging functionality these days I think. The light being on just means a diode is fucked in the regulator. Pull the globe and/or grab a new regulator block for the alternator.

Comment

What's it charging at?

Comment

Originally posted by bigmuz View Post
            The light is independent of charging functionality these days I think. The light being on just means a diode is fucked in the regulator. Pull the globe and/or grab a new regulator block for the alternator.
            This. On new aternators, the charge light is it's own circuit built in to to the regulator. It it's spitting out the light but charging okay and the wiring it good, then the only fix will be a new regulator for the alternator.

If you have a voltage display you can see on the dash, then keep an eye on that and drop the charge light bulb as a cheap fix.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

The voltage across the system shows around 14.7 when the car is running. I will probably just keep an eye on things for now and see how it goes. I can easily pull the bulb but thats not really solving the issue.

Comment

14.7? Change the regulator.

Comment

14.7V when cold, or when warm? It should drop down to mid low 14's when warm.

Comment

We put a Diahatsu alternator in the Mini...half the size/double the amps... shows a good charge on the Volt Meter but the Alt light doesnt come on at all when the Ignition is turned on / engine running???.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Comment

14.7 when cold off the key, i haven't really paid attention to it once running for a while.

Comment

that is a bit high...
                        Originally posted by tim510
                        More rabbit less turtle!

"No new car will ever be better for the environment than an old car that already exists. Unless that old car is a left-wheel drive communist shitbox made of uranium, asbestos and luekemia", oioioioioi

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all", god
                        http://www.Tutter.net

Comment

14.7 V cold off the key isn't something to be concerned about. 14.7 V after a 20mins drive with everything up to temp isn't good for a normal LA battery.

Comment

i pulled it out and it doesn't look right. the sticker on the side of the alternator looks like its been getting farking hot and I think I might just swap it out to be safe.

anyone got a spare VQ30DET alternator kicking around?

Comment

Update :

It's fixed. I replaced the alternator with a Brand new Nissan Murano VQ35 alternator. While doing it I discovered the tensioner pulley was finger tight, so it was a worthwhile exercise before powercruise!! Alternator charges like before, but the light goes out like it's supposed to now!

Thanks for the advice lads.

Comment

Working...
                              X