5 Watt Handheld UHF - Recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Watt Handheld UHF - Recommend?

Wanting a pair of handheld 5w UHF radios. I know nothing about radios, less about UHF ones.

Gurus, provide me with guidance.

Go.
    Right now I'm eating scrambled egg. With a comb! Out of a shoe!

Motorola.

I've used all the other brands, Somoco, GME etc and overall the best base charger/ signal reception/ sound quality/ physical handset/ getting parts and spares/ programming etc goes to Motorola.

Comment

Get one that recharges off USB for convenience.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/u...handheld-radio

Looks good value for someone who essentially wants an appliance and good warranty etc. Has all the bells and whistles one expects these days.

Agree with Mizone, that if you were a more experienced person who had particular needs/extremely robust radios then Motorola/Vertex is the way to go. I have a fleet of Icom and Motorola/Vertex radios, but the last 40 years of my life has been in or around the two way radio industry.

Don't know of any 5W versions that charge from USB, with that being 5V and most 5W radios use 7.2V LiIon batteries these days.

If you provide some idea of intended use maybe we collectively could come up with a better suited solution.............

Radical SR3
        HSV R8
        BMW 325ti Proddy Car

Comment

We threw out a couple of Uniden radios because they were shit, GME at an absolute minimum. BTW in Fyshwick are the people to talk to, Watts is expensive and can be prickely to deal with.

Comment

I am a big fan of tait radios. Can’t kill them with a big stick and brilliant sound quality.

Comment

https://www.banggood.com/BAOFENG-UVF...r_warehouse=CN

Cheap AF compared to local brands, not sure if they are any good though.

I've been tossing up whether to roll the dice on a pair for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Instigator View Post
                https://www.banggood.com/BAOFENG-UVF...r_warehouse=CN

Cheap AF compared to local brands, not sure if they are any good though.

I've been tossing up whether to roll the dice on a pair for a while now.
                Baofeng: Light weight, no substance, tinny audio, not approved anywhere outside China (not that that matters on CB really), even the "commercial"versions (82C etc) lack a good feel but do seem to be OK. If you want to buy Baofeng go for the 82 series, really not bad.

For a normal person using UHF CB handhelds I still think that the Uniden/GME radios are adequate (agree too that maybe GME>Uniden). Metal chassis only really starts at the commercial radio point, ie Motorola, Vertex, Icom etc.
                Radical SR3
                HSV R8
                BMW 325ti Proddy Car

Comment

Baofeng:
                  Light weight, no substance - isnt that a good thing?
                  tinny audio - its UHF/VHF, crap quality audio is a given
                  not approved anywhere outside China - who gives a fuck, even the amateur radio groups use them.

Ive gone through a few over the years (none broke, all got lost, got loaned to friends and never returned, etc).
                  Bang for buck they win hands down.

Comment

Spend the extra $20 or so and get the upper end Baofeng
                    https://www.banggood.com/BAOFENG-UV-...r_warehouse=CN

They work really well.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget
                    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                    X