Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuck me stop start batteries are expensive

So the nopics drives a CX5 which has iStop, the battery is on the way out so it has cryptic warning lights going off that mean the battery needs replacing (Not a charge light or anything of course, that would be far too sensible)

she also likes leaving the interior lights on, and the battery is fucked enough that leaving the interior light on will make it go flat overnight.

This morning I managed to jumpstart it and drove to supercheap to get a new one (after this 5 minute drive it was juiced up enough to start the car again) fully expecting it to be expensive as the mechanic said "batteries for this thing are expensive" when we last discussed the stupid flashing lights. So I was ready to pay $260 for a battery for it.

The recommended Century battery for this car is $470.

Needless to say it isn't getting replaced right now, but when it starts crapping out what are my options? I figure a 2.0 litre engine doesn't really need a billion cranking amps, and I'm not against the idea of disabling the istop as it is stupid.

Thots?

Get the part number and see if it's available in the Exide Endurance range.
    If so, call Bunnings and ask for the special orders desk and ask them to get you one.

They are doing really aggressive battery pricing at he moment.
    I ordered a DIN88MF last fortnight for my E55 and paid $146. Others list it at $220-280

Comment

Lights being left on kills battery's so fast. Go cheap for sure. Odds are it will be dead in two years anyway.
      Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Originally posted by ALLMTR
      You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Pull interior lights out of car or wire them to trigger the horn
        Originally posted by E-Z
        If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Comment

fucked if I know how to multiquote on this glorious new forum, so here goes

uuheels cheers will give that a go.

jimmyg good point, actually I'm amazed this one has lasted so long, this if the 5th time i've charged it from dead without thinking back too far.

Panda I give no fuck that's gold, I was considering pulling the bulbs then figured pulling the fuses would be easier, then figured I didn't want to deal with the fallout from that. If I was going to do any wiring it would be to put a timer to turn the lights off after 10 minutes or something.

In the end I put blue painter's tape over the switch so it won't turn on so easily, which Nopics suggested actually.

Comment

Battery guy told me Stop-Starts are a lot more like a Deep-Cycle in design than a regular battery which is all about CCA draw for short periods, they can cope with discharging a lot, and function (in terms of voltage and current stability) well right down into the lower levels of charge.

when mine failed it was like 2 weeks where I noticed cranking time was slightly longer and the car started reporting that the battery level was too low for Stop-Start etc, and then the battery outright “died”. ie the fuckers mask failure well right up to the point they’re unfit for service.
            ---
            Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post

that's gold, I was considering pulling the bulbs then figured pulling the fuses would be easier, then figured I didn't want to deal with the fallout from that. If I was going to do any wiring it would be to put a timer to turn the lights off after 10 minutes or something.

Wire a timer to trigger the horn after 10 minutes.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

3yrs out of a battery for my Golf R is standard apparently. No stop/start shit on it either. I'm on my second in 4 years. You get no warning when it's about to go.....will crank normally then the next start will just be a flurry of relays opening and closing.

Bloke at Battery World reckons you've got to get in the habit of putting the CTEK on it once every couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post
                  3yrs out of a battery for my Golf R is standard apparently. No stop/start shit on it either. I'm on my second in 4 years. You get no warning when it's about to go.....will crank normally then the next start will just be a flurry of relays opening and closing.
                  Haha. Guess what happened to me at 3am when I went to leave for a road trip to Bathurst last week?

Comment

I got almost 4yrs out of the battery in my VW GTI. it does have stop start. Apparently yes, it means it needs a different battery *and* stop start is harsh on them.

battery died with pretty much zero warning. My CTEX got it to voltage and able to start - but only once.

I nearly fell over when the stealership said $450.

But then battery world or similar said $470

and super cheap said $480

fuck me it was getting worse. Last battery I bought was around a $100!

stop start is programmed OFF now. Hopefully I don’t need to replace it again before i move it on!

Comment

Try the Supercharge AGM batteries, they’re a bit cheaper than other options but still good.

Comment

Originally posted by Panda I give no fuck View Post
                        Pull interior lights out of car or wire them to trigger the horn
                        Go on eBay, get the cheapest led bulb you can...

It'll be dull as fuck, but it'll work just enough and will never flatten the battery...

Comment

will look at supercharge too when this one shits itself properly. LED globes are a good idea, think i'll take the globes out of the rear lights as only the kids use them, and they aren't allowed to use them.

This is more like it https://www.everybattery.com.au/prod...hoCUsQQAvD_BwE and panasonic make good AA batteries so that means these must be good.

Comment

Waits for the thread ' fuck me , electric car batteries are expensive'

I guess at certain value insurance will write car off on economic grounds....not repairable in nsw on the wovr?

Comment

Tried our site sponsor for a price?

Comment

Working...
                              X