SR20DET Injector issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SR20DET Injector issues

Hi PF brains trust. I have an ongoing issue at the moment.

A couple of days ago I picked up my car from the tuner and drove it back home on a UVP from Newcastle to Sydney.

Somewhere along the way the car started running on three cylinders and I limped it home.

I did the basic check (spark and fuel). Spark is fine but I wasn't getting fuel. So I ran some tests and basically figured out that injector #1 is not firing. However, if I swap injector plug from cyl #2 onto cyl #1 the car runs on that cylinder (but really shit because pulse is out of time). I checked the injector plugs and all are getting 12v constant. I don't have a test light for injectors so can't check pulse.

Then today I go to start the car and it won't start. Very strange. Eventually I pull the plugs and find cylinder #1 full of petrol. Completely flooded.

So I'm trying to figure out which of the following theories is the issue:
    - Injector #1 is grounding out somewhere on the loom and is stuck open
    - Injector #1 is fucking broken
    - ECU is fucked
    - Something else I don't know about is fucked
    - My car has COVID.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.

I have just gone through a similar issue with the KE70. Not sure if you have the ability to change it but tweaking the injector deadtime sorted mine out...

Comment

If it has a manifold with side feed injectors the bottom o-ring on the cyl1 injector is probably leaking.

Comment

Yeah so this got worse before it gets better.

Me and some friends had a tinker round to see if we could see anything obviously wrong. Mainly just cleaned the connections and tried to get a spare injector to fire using the loom.

Now the car floods all cylinders if I try and start it up. At this stage, I'm guessing it isn't a mechanical issue like pinched o-rings or something like that. I've ordered some new o-rings just in case so I'll throw them in anyway.

I've tested continuity on my ecu pins now as well and there seems to be some funky shit going on. Firstly, Nissan only provided 3 grounds for 4 injectors. Secondly, the grounds appear to be playing up.

This may be an auto-electrician style problem since I am not smart when it comes to electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Panda View Post
          Firstly, Nissan only provided 3 grounds for 4 injectors. Secondly, the grounds appear to be playing up.
          Sure they're not switched to ground?
          Originally posted by Marlin
          Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

nissan stuff (factory at least) is switched by ground yeah, they have constant +ve to each injector and pulsed via ground switching..
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
            And I’ve explained many times this is not just another four year election.

The outcome will determine civilisation as we know it.

Comment

What ecu? The swapping injector plugs around shouldn't make it run any worse because of injection timing.
              Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Originally posted by Faux Forg View Post

Sure they're not switched to ground?
                I'm guessing there is a short somewhere or something has come unstuck which is now making the injectors run constantly open

Originally posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
                What ecu? The swapping injector plugs around shouldn't make it run any worse because of injection timing.
                PowerFC. IT could just be running like a dog because there is only three cylinders running!

Comment

Plug the standard ecu back in to test.

Comment

PowerFC's (and every electronic component with capacitors from that era) have a real penchant for doing exactly what your seeing.
                    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Working...
                    X