Battery cable, where to buy from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery cable, where to buy from?

Plan to do a battery in boot conversion down the track and was just wondering where the best place to buy cable from would be?

Back around 20 years ago I did the same thing and used 4 gauge OFC amp cable as it was cheap and had it around etc, it worked fine but i'm thinking i'll go up to 0 gauge this time 53.5mm2

I know it comes in various types as in car audio, battery cable and welding cable. Is there a preference, it's just going to run through the interior under the carpet.

There is currently some on eBay for $56 for 5 metres. Is this good stuff to use and is it a good price? Or can I do better?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Primary-...417d5d6ae5088d

Thanks

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Subscribed

Comment

I was going to suggest looking into mains cable. It generally won't be quite as flexible though. However upon looking, $10/m for 50sq mm is about the going rate for small quantities. So that stuff looks OK to me.

Comment

Buy single core, double insulated flex from an electrical wholesaler. 35mm^2, 50mm^2 or 70mm^2 depending on what you want. Buy lugs at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by chartreusehj View Post
          Buy single core, double insulated flex from an electrical wholesaler. 35mm^2, 50mm^2 or 70mm^2 depending on what you want. Buy lugs at the same time.
          Any idea what the going rate for 50mm2 would be, know any electrical wholse salesalers in VIC to try? Is that basically welding cable?

I've got some 70mm2 here but I reckon it's a bit too chunky. Think I have some utilux lugs around as well.

Comment

I ran two 70's in my car so I could take the neg to the starter mount rather than relying on near 50 year old floor pan but I had heaps of it lying around (made some jumper cables as well), no idea on price but any wholesaler can get it.

Ring a few and get prices.
            Last edited by chartreusehj; 22-06-20, 05:20 PM.

Comment

You're looking at around $8-10/meter for 50 mm^2 *copper*. Flex is a bit of a misnomer too. Whilst stranded it's pretty inflexible. Will be around 19 strands.
              Last edited by Shonky; 22-06-20, 05:21 PM.

Comment

e.g.
                https://www.electriciansupplies.com....Path=26_742_68
                OR
                https://www.mjselectricalsupplies.co...core-per-metre

Comment

Ok in that case i'd be better off getting that eBay stuff.

Comment

isnt XLPE different than flex though?

Comment

I'm not going to count it but actual, proper flex that size will be 100's of strands.
                      Last edited by chartreusehj; 22-06-20, 05:48 PM.

Comment

https://www.powermac.net.au/70mm-ora...-110c-sdi-bulk

Something like that.

Comment

Don't use XLPE!

Comment

XLPE really refers to the insulation. It's temperature and moisture resistant and generally better than PVC clad cable.

I'm not sure what chartreusehj means by "flex" exactly. If it's regular mains cable (PVC or XLPE) it will generally be 19 strands only compared with the cable in your ebay listing which will be circa 2000-3000 strands and much more flexible.

Maybe this stuff?
                            https://www.powermac.net.au/50mm-ora...-110c-sdi-bulk

I'd expect to pay more than the XLPE pricing for that stuff.

Altronics want $22/meter for 50 sq mm OFC that will be super flexible.

Comment

XLPE cable cores are "generally" a bunch of hexagonal strands with no air gaps in the cable, yes the insulation is really what they're talking about but for a given CSA, typical XLPE will have a higher current carrying capacity because of it's design, It's great stuff until you try to bend it and doesn't belong in a car.

If you ask for flex, you'll get flex. You'll also pay more lol.
                              Last edited by chartreusehj; 22-06-20, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X