No announcement yet.

Alternator - Turning it On & Off ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound observation ^^ I used to see it in Dirt Circuit, silly people spending stupid amounts on HP when they would have been better off reducing the weight of their vehicle.

" Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
      Is the ignition and fuel system gonna handle the drop in voltage?
      Yup, no worries there.
      He's also built himself a water-brake dyno, so we can tune for all that easily.

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Surely unless the thing is piloted by a jockey already having the driver lay off the pies for a bit would be more effective than chasing 1hp of electrical load?

Yes, quite possibly.

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
      Sound observation ^^ I used to see it in Dirt Circuit, silly people spending stupid amounts on HP when they would have been better off reducing the weight of their vehicle.
      It's all CF and alloy.
      Apparently it'll be pretty much the lightest boat in the class.
      Last edited by MWP; 04-07-20, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I’ll stand by the cutting out the pies being a a real performance gain versus fucking with the alternator coming on or off.

If you can dyno it just run it up without the alternator being driven. Log the current draw from the battery of running the motor and boat systems.
        The alternator will be about 70% efficient and the belt drive about 90% efficient.

That means for every Watt of electrical load you’re “robbing” around 1.6W of power from the crankshaft - that’s using very “average” and generic efficiency figures.

I’m genuinely curious to know if you’d even see the difference on the dyno.
        ---
        Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

I’m genuinely curious to know if you’d even see the difference on the dyno.
          I seriously doubt an on water difference will be reailsed, love the chasing the last HP though but doubt it will come with a dumb alternator.

Modern day smart alternators can turn on an off ... just sayin.
          Last edited by Gin Kii; 04-07-20, 06:26 PM.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Working...
          X