• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 I30 Head Unit Upgrade

Hi all,

The wife has a 2014 I30 as the daily.

Stock head unit is really meh.

Is there a good plug and play option that retains steering wheel controls? Something easy to use and gives full phone book access would be ideal.

Originally posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.

Later models had the 'GD-03' unit capable of CarPlay/Android Auto if you can find one for a non-ripoff price:
    https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/...?topic=45851.0

Otherwise aftermarket Kenwood/Alpine/Sony supporting AA/CarPlay with the suitable Aerpro bits (including the fairly expensive fascia kit) from Kabab/Ryda will be basically plug and play and able to retain steering wheel controls (and not be shit to use).

If it's the 'Premium' model with the terrible built in Navigation head unit (which will fail completely) and reversing camera, then there's a bit of a headfuck, as all of the Aerpro harnesses/adapters are designed around the non-nav cars and require de-pinning/re-pinning to suit as the connections are broadly similar but not 'the same' - I went through this ordeal about a year ago, but did end up getting everything working including the camera and steering wheel controls.
    Last edited by andy_wk; 10-07-20, 03:39 PM.

Comment

DM Kabab? He's been posting in the other car audio threads.
      "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
      (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
      Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post
        Later models had the 'GD-03' unit capable of CarPlay/Android Auto if you can find one for a non-ripoff price:
        https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/...?topic=45851.0

Otherwise aftermarket Kenwood/Alpine/Sony supporting AA/CarPlay with the suitable Aerpro bits (including the fairly expensive fascia kit) from Kabab/Ryda will be basically plug and play and able to retain steering wheel controls (and not be shit to use).

If it's the 'Premium' model with the terrible built in Navigation head unit (which will fail completely) and reversing camera, then there's a bit of a headfuck, as all of the Aerpro harnesses/adapters are designed around the non-nav cars and require de-pinning/re-pinning to suit as the connections are broadly similar but not 'the same' - I went through this ordeal about a year ago, but did end up getting everything working including the camera and steering wheel controls.
        It's a trophy - so has leather and the big boy 1.8l but no Nav thank fuck.

It's got super low km and is a handy appliance so will hang on to it for the next 18 months or so.
        Originally posted by brasher
        TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Working...
        X