Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing AC in a car that came without it. Bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing AC in a car that came without it. Bad idea?

So when I bought my mr2, i didn't lament the lack of AC, i just told people I'd live with it. TBH, you do miss it some days. Buying a compressor and the hard lines and the condenser isn't a huge problem, but how much of a fuck around is installing this? In my head it's mounting things that did come as a factory option, so I assume I'm not drilling holes, I'm just putting things in place.

The part I'm most in the dark about is the electrical. I assume I really just need a button that turns the compressor on and off. But I read somewhere that ac units detect engine speed and adjust various things as rpm changes.

Is this all just a massive fuck around and i should just learn to love without it?

​​​​​​
    Past
    74 260z - MOBY
    00 WRX - JARVIS
    93 Rz Supra - SOUP
    05 Golf GTI
    07 350z Track
    73 240z - Red Car
    13 BRZ
    04 Liberty GT
    10 ISF

Current
    91 SW20 MR2

Well.... if you can find a complete donor car that all of the A/C related components can be removed from, then it's really just a matter of swapping it from one car to the other.

I just downloaded the wiring diagrams for a '91 MR2 from here https://www.manualslib.com/download/...rams-1991.html

Seems that there is nothing too complicated about the A/C setup. Can see on page 200 of that download, there are two connections at the Engine Control Module; one for the A/C amplifier, one of the A/C magnetic clutch.

Other stuff on pages 236-239 for the aircon system, fans & relays, etc...
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
    Originally posted by nutttr
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

AC is pretty fucking easy to rig up, if getting all the electronics is too hard going mechanical is fucking easy peasy.
      Fit a tranary switch which will control the fans and cut out the compressor if the pressure gets too high and fit a mechanical thermostat on the evaporator. Put a switch on the dash somewhere for AC and enjoy.
      Being a Toyota it will run an AC amplifier module which you will need and hopefully your car and harness has all the plugs sitting spare.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a ZZW30 MR2 I'll have to put AC into somestage as well.
      Last edited by dnegative; 23-01-21, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Ex View Post
        ....button that turns the compressor on and off. But I read somewhere that ac units detect engine speed and adjust various things as rpm changes.

Is this all just a massive fuck around and i should just learn to love without it?

​​​​​​
        Simplest way for idle control is probably what I did in the Evo when the A/C went in. I was lucky with looms and pressure switches, compressor clutch, fans etc were all accounted for in the existing loom. "Idle control" was just a case of setting the cable stopper on the throttle body with everything (A/C, Fans, Lights) on. Side effect is that when the A/C et al is off (pretty much never in Brisbane) the idle is about 1200rpm.
        No. Driving an esky along the footpath will be the end humanity. This must be stopped.
        "Lol!! The son of satan will rideth thine esky, wearing nought but the beater of wives and the double secured half sandle, and he will wave his hands in great mirth ushering in the end of all mankind"

Comment

How hard is it to get access to add the evaporator into the dash? I assume the spot is there for it to go, but could be a big job to get it all out to install the stupid thing
          Originally posted by piss98
          fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
            How hard is it to get access to add the evaporator into the dash? I assume the spot is there for it to go, but could be a big job to get it all out to install the stupid thing
            Every car I've owned it's been a giant fuckaround, basically disassemble the entire dash to get at it. I imagine it varies considerably though.
            Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
              Dash out or at the very least, most of it.
              Its a cunt of a job but its really not that bad

Comment

Originally posted by dnegative View Post

Dash out or at the very least, most of it.
                Its a cunt of a job but its really not that bad
                In the scheme of it, the dash out job is likely to be the hardest part IMHO. Everything else can be fairly easily worked out for cheap I expect

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post

Every car I've owned it's been a giant fuckaround, basically disassemble the entire dash to get at it. I imagine it varies considerably though.
                  Yeah I've watched a video of someone trying (successfully) to do one in a range rover... (2010 model or something)... What an absolute nightmare...

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Certainly aware that getting the evaporator in will be a shit of a job, but I thought the electronics might actually be a deal breaker. It appears they are not. Since it was a factory option i assume the plugs exist on the ECU.
                    Past
                    74 260z - MOBY
                    00 WRX - JARVIS
                    93 Rz Supra - SOUP
                    05 Golf GTI
                    07 350z Track
                    73 240z - Red Car
                    13 BRZ
                    04 Liberty GT
                    10 ISF

Current
                    91 SW20 MR2

Comment

If you can get access to a parts car, your set.

Comment

Working...
                      X