D40 Navara 4x4 with LS1 383 stroker+4L80e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D40 Navara 4x4 with LS1 383 stroker+4L80e

Car is an 08 D40 Navara with no motor. So PF brains trust, I am looking for advice for a project I have started collecting gear for.

The need is for V8 goodness with tough auto box for towing horse float and weekend fun duties and have decided on a 4L80e and GM NP241 transfer case which has same side drop as the Navara front diff. this part is not really of any concern other than stall type and speed.

The engine is the part that concerns me. It must be daily drivable with bulk torque. I want it to feel like its going to pull you through the seats when I hit the loud pedal. but drive stock like when not playing the fool.

I have an LS1, it is complete and free so my plan was to build a 383. 4.00 inch Lunati crank, 6.125 rods and CP Carillo or JE forged pistons to have a compression ratio of 10.5:1. Heads will have a CNC port job and stock valves, LS6 manifold, 92mm throttle body. (bottom end is WAY overkill, however if the boost itch bites, it will be strong)

How does this package look for drivability, power, torque and reliability?
    Cam spec suggestions?
    Any advice, for more or less anything to achieve the goals outlined.

Sorry for the novel:knock:

Turbo ls1?

Comment

turbo v8 is made for what you want, even basic LS1, GT4088 combo
      Originally posted by Turbo Yoda
      I <3 Hamster

Comment

So 2 posts, Both voting for turbo V8.

If I boost it, I will not be spending 3K on stroked forged internals, I would possibly use forged pistons and upgrade rods with ARP rod bolts and have the combo balanced and reassembled with new bearings throughout.

3K+ of stroker combo to be spent on GTX4XXX and water to air intercooler.

Is this a better option?

Comment

Yes.Turbo = tame and sedate until boost hits.

More info on gearbox and transfer case for my own interest? What are they out of, how strong are they, are you anticipating an easy fit?
          Have joked about this kinda thing for my ML Triton but gearbox/transfer case seemed to be the major hickup in any plan of actually pulling it off.

Comment

ls3 or ls7. or lsa?
            I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Sell the LS1 and buy a LSA. Only way to go. Big H
              p and bulk low down torque and not too hard on the pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ DUDE View Post
                Yes.Turbo = tame and sedate until boost hits.

More info on gearbox and transfer case for my own interest? What are they out of, how strong are they, are you anticipating an easy fit?
                Have joked about this kinda thing for my ML Triton but gearbox/transfer case seemed to be the major hickup in any plan of actually pulling it off.
                Box is the easy bit. The 4L80e is like an electronic version of the old Turbo 400 with an overdrive. Dime a dozen in the states but rare as rocking horse shit here.
                Built with upgraded internals and mild shift kit can handle 600+hp with ease.
                Not sure on the drop side of the triton, but there are several transfer options over there. I'm going the NP241 in cable shift type because cable is simple to manage in a conversion. They are known to be reliable, they are cheap to buy and build and they bolt directly to the back of the 4L80e.
                Again with a lot of American gear the aftermarket support is great too. Slip yolk eliminator kits in several options and a universal type shifter linkage for cable operation is affordable and off the shelf stuff.

Never heard of anyone doing the tritons but cant be too hard!

Comment

Originally posted by ProVK View Post
                  Sell the LS1 and buy a LSA. Only way to go. Big H
                  p and bulk low down torque and not too hard on the pocket.
                  Looked very hard at the LSAs - Can buy complete motor with blower for cost of aftermarket blower. Turns out they are harder to tune and make run in a conversion and I got warned stay far far away. The ECU they come with wont run a 4L80e so I would need stand alone for both computers(motor and box)
                  Cant run from old computer because the blower is interfaced someone with sensors to be run by ECU and the ECU is different to all other LS type ECU's.

Also been advised the configuration of the accessories can be a stumbling block due to the location of the blower pulley. I don't know to much about this hurdle but I didn't need extra dramas. By sticking to something basic, I can have everything off the shelf or wreckers as far as engine accessories and brackets go.

I could have been misguided, but by sticking to simple LS stuff I can resolve most of my own issues without hired help which wont be friendly on the pocket.

Comment

Wtf, mate has one in a vk, they converted to cable operated tb and used the old ls1 ecu. See no reason why cant it be done like ir even with newer e38 pcm and fbw.

Would go to t400 and forgo the overdrive.
                    Originally posted by 50RTD
                    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

dunno how strong the nav transfer case is but this may save a load of work http://www.marks4wd.com/transfer-cas...hfinder-1.html

Mate not long finished a vz 6l and auto to 2012 Pajero conversion, He used the paj transfer and got an adapter kit from the US, its holding up well towing car trailers, bobcats and horse floats
                      List of cars goes here

Comment

one more vote for LSA engine and T400.

Comment

i reckon for something that'll be working (towing etc.) a bit lower diff gears and an overdrive would be the go. is it a big deal to regear a d40? steal skyline/silvia bits or something?
                          Originally posted by Skompa
                          The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Comment

Thought about 6l80e?

Comment

http://www.holmart.com.au/online/prod1782.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X