X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RX8 LS swap - ballpark what'll it cost

Dumb question time.
    In addition to the cost of the car, the engine and gearbox and half a tank of fuel.

I'm contemplating buying one as a run-around for a while with the idea that when it pops, I can do a swap.

Obvious costs are what ever kit I go for, tailshaft, exhaust and the 500 items that cost $20-$50 each.

This is with me spinning the spanners at home with a few mates and farming out as little as possible.
    I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Originally posted by Bosshoggett
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

I was thinking about this myself. Subscribing but I'm thinking, whatever you think it's going to cost times 2
      - Gary

97 Mitsubishi Lancer Coupe 1.8 (cheap and cheerful motoring)
      16 Honda Grom (MSX125) Snail racing would be faster

Comment

racefab in NZ do a ls kit into rx8, makes it a pretty easy job

edit: http://racefab.co.nz/

Comment

10-20k.

Comment

I'm expecting someting around 6k plus car and engine/box, but there are many variables. I have a mate who is smarter than most when it comes to wiring and stuff, and enough shifters, multi-grips and grinders to get the mechanical side done. Gluing steel tubes together for an exhaust and tailshaft may be out of my experience level though.

Comment

Originally posted by EVOSTi View Post
              10-20k.
              Was hoping you and RNZ11S would chime in. Reading your build, you didn't use a kit?

Comment

Buy a Monaro and enjoy life.

Comment

I used a racefab engine cross member. If they made a kit at the time I would have used it. Their workmanship is top notch and saves a MASSIVE fuckaround.
                  Wiring is straight forward, the conversion isn't hard if you buy a kit.

Comment

10-20k.
                    10-20k plus engine/box?

Comment

I used a racefab engine cross member. If they made a kit at the time I would have used it. Their workmanship is top notch and saves a MASSIVE fuckaround.
                      Wiring is straight forward, the conversion isn't hard if you buy a kit.
                      I didn't see a trans mount on their site (no biggie) Or the diff brace. I read that you broke your diff off pretty quick. Would it be possible to keep the factory brace with the T56 or is it starting on the way to major fabrication?

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
                        Buy a Monaro and enjoy life.
                        Monaro is on the cards as an option funnily enough. The RX8 will be cheaper in the short term though. I'd rather something smaller than a monaro though.

Comment

Originally posted by dougmo View Post
                          racefab in NZ do a ls kit into rx8, makes it a pretty easy job

edit: http://racefab.co.nz/
                          Made from pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by Mini_Me View Post
                            10-20k plus engine/box?
                            Not including. Having said that, if I did it again I reckon I could do one for $15k including buying an rx8 and the bits if budget was the goal.

Originally posted by Speedyblue View Post
                            I didn't see a trans mount on their site (no biggie) Or the diff brace. I read that you broke your diff off pretty quick. Would it be possible to keep the factory brace with the T56 or is it starting on the way to major fabrication?
                            The only person I know of (world wide) who uses the factory ppf is brintech in Sydney. I'd still use the race fab kit which has a ppf delete bracket. I have a custom made one.

Comment

I finally found the other thread on this I was looking for. There are others as well, but this was the price one. Linking so I can find it again later for information.

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...versions/page3

Comment

Working...
                              X