Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable performance diesel engines?

Hey, I'm trying to work out what diesel engines would fit the following criteria, as I'm thinking about a couple of potential projects:

1) It must be affordable, I don't want an engine that costs $20,000 plus
    2) Must be fairly compact (Needs to fit in a similar space to say, a commodore V6 motor)
    3) Ideally will be turbo
    4) Ideally will be common rail, but not essential
    5) Needs to be fairly tuneable, and be able to make a decent amount of power/torque for it's size, not after huge numbers considering it wont be a huge motor

Cheers, Gab

Late golf diesel?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Territory/Landrover/Peugeot 2.7v6?
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

2.5 Ranger.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fondles View Post
          2.5 Ranger.
          Not Faster than a VK56. So that's out. 1HD with Chinese turbo is same power as modified 35psi duramax apparently so go that. [/italicsasfuck]
          Originally posted by Bosshoggett
          If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

Originally posted by Gab250 View Post
            1) It must be affordable,
            Fondles is the man in the know but affordable and diesel performance aren't two things that go together very well, in Oz anyway
            Originally posted by Faux Forg
            I agree with Rdyno

Comment

Originally posted by cracka View Post
              Not Faster than a VK56. So that's out. 1HD with Chinese turbo is same power as modified 35psi duramax apparently so go that. [/italicsasfuck]
              where did the OP as for fast ?

op asks for an affordable smallish engine that will make decent power (for its capacity) fairly cheaply.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, just to give you guys a bit of background, I am thinking of doing this in a Mercedes Benz W123, wanting to keep it Diesel for a laugh but be able to go a LOT better than the crappy 5cyl non turbo engine that's in it, and ideally with a budget of less than $5000, I was even thinking about a Diesel Nissan X Trail motor, or, god forbid, a ZD30 Nissan Patrol motor (I know they blow up, lol)

Comment

vw bkd or bks engine. when tuned a bit thy hammer. or the 3.0 v6 tdi coded CASA
                  Originally posted by Marv
                  Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Maybe for that budgetary RD28 Nissan diesel? They don't mind a rev and with RB dimensions might even fit like a finger in a bum.

Comment

I've been told you can get Cummins ISF 2.8's for around the $6000 mark brand new nearly fully dressed ex-Foton spare parts.

Comment

Fotons cummins are made under license in china. Not to be mistook for a us cummins
                        Originally posted by Marv
                        Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Gab250 View Post
                          Thanks for the advice guys, just to give you guys a bit of background, I am thinking of doing this in a Mercedes Benz W123, wanting to keep it Diesel for a laugh but be able to go a LOT better than the crappy 5cyl non turbo engine that's in it, and ideally with a budget of less than $5000, I was even thinking about a Diesel Nissan X Trail motor, or, god forbid, a ZD30 Nissan Patrol motor (I know they blow up, lol)

whats your HP/torque target ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                            Fotons cummins are made under license in china. Not to be mistook for a us cummins
                            Same shit, they are every bit as good and or bad as a US one.
                            Dealt with plenty of the mechnical Dongfeng B and C series versions along with a few common rail versions.
                            No problems, Cummins supported them locally for warranty claims and as far as I can recall, do sell them as well.

Comment

Fuck Cummins. Bought a motor a few year ago, lately it's needed a few parts.

"sorry we don't support chinese imports"

rummage through the filing cabinet, find the original sale invoice from Cummins Australia. Cunts still wouldn't help me.

I've always had a strange desire to see just how far you could push one of those little kubota motors

Comment

Working...
                              X