Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS1 or LS2/L98 into 63 Belair

Need some advice, I am looking at going down an LS conversion in my 63 Belair with a 4l60 (as it will fit my tunnel with no mods).

Ultimately, I want to end up around 500hp.

Should I go an LS1, cheap to buy get it installed and later go forced induction?

Or will the LS2 or L98 be a better starting point in the long run?

L98/LS3 is a no brainer. Will do mid 400s at the wheels cam only

Comment

Thanks man.

The LS1 just looks so good because so cheap.

Will look into the L98.

Comment

If it's in the budget extra torque of 6.0 shits all over 5.7 for street driver.

Look out for vz commodore setup bigger engine with smaller auto.Ls2 would be ideal
        an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

So safe to say the LS2 or the L98 will be the best starting place

Comment

No, go L98. LS2 are a good motor but still a cathedral port head, albeit much better flowing, L98 is the larger, rectangle LS3 type head. Cam only does good things for them, get them CNC'd and skimmed for a bit more compression to really liven it up.

But if you can get an LS2 for a much better price then it's still probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben. View Post
              No, go L98. LS2 are a good motor but still a cathedral port head, albeit much better flowing, L98 is the larger, rectangle LS3 type head. Cam only does good things for them, get them CNC'd and skimmed for a bit more compression to really liven it up.

But if you can get an LS2 for a much better price then it's still probably worth it.
              As above, but don't waste money on Cnc head, decking yes, but ports flow heaps even for decent cam. Ls1 is old tech, doesn't leave a lot for upgrades, compared to l98 etc

Don't stress about drive by wire, can get it to work.

Also later autos are much better and e38 lot more flexibility
              Originally posted by 50RTD
              Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Calling its60s
                im a cunt
                and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

I've got a 64 I'm just about done on the L98 conversion, I've got the 6L80 in without tunnel mods using the BRP hotrods kit, the bulk of the size of the 6L80 is below the centre line - don't believe everything you hear that it won't fit. Granted I've still got to check tailshaft angles and it might need to come up if it does need tunnel mods it'll be right at the output shaft.

Mine retains column shift too, and I'll be doing some manual buttons, dash command and an OBDII reader for gear and sensor displays

If you want any info on what parts to use or photos let me know... I've used a BRP mount kit as I said, a 98-02 camaro sump, tanks inc injection tank, ultimate conversion wiring loom, commodore fly by wire throttle... headers were a nightmare, ended up being custom built by Chris at Castle Hill Performance but the BRP ones off the shelf would fit I reckon, nothing long tube as you can't get back outside the chassis rails where's it's notched from factory
                  Originally posted by race6.3l
                  Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Comment

Originally posted by ITS60S View Post
                    I've got a 64 I'm just about done on the L98 conversion, I've got the 6L80 in without tunnel mods using the BRP hotrods kit, the bulk of the size of the 6L80 is below the centre line - don't believe everything you hear that it won't fit. Granted I've still got to check tailshaft angles and it might need to come up if it does need tunnel mods it'll be right at the output shaft.

Mine retains column shift too, and I'll be doing some manual buttons, dash command and an OBDII reader for gear and sensor displays

If you want any info on what parts to use or photos let me know... I've used a BRP mount kit as I said, a 98-02 camaro sump, tanks inc injection tank, ultimate conversion wiring loom, commodore fly by wire throttle... headers were a nightmare, ended up being custom built by Chris at Castle Hill Performance but the BRP ones off the shelf would fit I reckon, nothing long tube as you can't get back outside the chassis rails where's it's notched from factory
                    Build thread?

/ --------------- \
                    _/ /___________\ \_
                    /_________|_________\
                    |OOO ___________ OOO|
                    \______|====|______/
                    [_]-------------------[_]

Comment

What he said^^

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
                      I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Build thread here, clearly not updated though, will get some updates in there

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...air&highlight=
                        Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Comment

Originally posted by ITS60S View Post

A man in the know! Fucking handy.

I haven't been able to find anyone who has gone down the 6l80 route in the fullsize's.

Heaps of people saying it won't fit without tunnel mods, but none of them actually going in.

Mate said grafting in the Commodore tunnel is a good workaround.

Keen to see some pics mate.

I will be heading down the L98 path, thanks for the advice lads.

Comment

Yep everyone reckons they know and don't get me wrong next to a 4l60 it's a massive fucking cunt of a thing but the bellhousing is the same size and it all seems to fit except one tab i removed. I also lopped off the threaded end and removed the rubber donut from the back of the box as you can run a normal turbo 400 joint off to save room as the donut would have hit the floor, mocking up the stock tailshaft to the t400 joint it eyeball looks ok, I've got another Belair here with a stock motor and box at the moment so I'm planning to double check, just need my 9" finished to get the tailshaft done and see if I am a winner or loser... either way, you won't need a whole commodore floor, massive overkill

Comment

Would love to see some pics of this.

Obviously the 4l60/65 will be a no brainer as it fits and bucket loads of after market gear to go with it.

Not sure I need the extra fuck around for 2 more gears. But certainly interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X