Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1UZ into NA8 MX5, legal?

I like the NA MX5, I also like V8s. A quick look at NCOP says that for an NA8 with a listed kerb weight of 990kg I can go upto 3960cc. Apparently the 1uz is 3968cc, would the 8cc difference end up as an instafail? And secondly, would it pass with a V8 anyway? Naturally I would do all the suspension, brake and chassis upgrades a V8 MX5 requires, considering there are guys running LS engines and even 1GZ in these it's not exactly breaking new ground.
    I suppose the bigger question is though, does NSW play NCOP?

Yes NSW plays NCOP.

Yes the table of capacity to weight is a “guideline”.

Yes there’s a table of torsional and beaming measures to weight which is also a “guideline”.

Now what’s going to happen is your engineer will take your money to sign off that the car meets all the practical requirements to be safe and solid and when you go to rego it you’ll be told “sorry mate, engines to big, you should have read the rules”.

They will use the lightest recorded weight while you’ll be trying to justify it based on the heaviest recorded weight.

In short, build it as an ICV by significantly changing things structurally to better accomodate the transplant aka a Bullet Roadster... except use a dirty big LS and rebuild the car around a central spine style of space frame.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

why not buy a bullet roadster?

Comment

Because:
        1: Where's the fun in that?
        2: Looks like arse
        3: Lot of money upfront for something that I'd pull apart and change stuff anyway.
        4: They don't exactly pop up all the time.
        5: I don't want a buy, turn the key and go car. I want something to play with in the shed.
        6: Easier to hide the cost from SWMBO when you do things a little at a time.
        7: Didn't they upset the balance of the car with the stretched front end/ strut front end?

Comment

a stock 6 speed paddle shift 3UZ would be a great swap into a light car with stock toyota reliability (make the 3 turn into a 1 for engineering )
          Originally posted by ALLMTR
          the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

A coupe of guys in Aus have V8Roadster conversion kits using Commodore LS motors, box and diff. The trick to having a nice V8 MX5 is to not tell the authorities.
            NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
            NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
            VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Living in NSW means bend over and take it unlubed doing that sort of thing.
              Probably a poor choice of words considering we're talking about MX5s.:fgay:

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                Yes NSW plays NCOP.

Yes the table of capacity to weight is a “guideline”.

Yes there’s a table of torsional and beaming measures to weight which is also a “guideline”.

Now what’s going to happen is your engineer will take your money to sign off that the car meets all the practical requirements to be safe and solid and when you go to rego it you’ll be told “sorry mate, engines to big, you should have read the rules”.

They will use the lightest recorded weight while you’ll be trying to justify it based on the heaviest recorded weight.

In short, build it as an ICV by significantly changing things structurally to better accomodate the transplant aka a Bullet Roadster... except use a dirty big LS and rebuild the car around a central spine style of space frame.
                Missed this. How significantly changed structurally would it need to be? Would doing a space frame through the center to tie the V8R front subframe to the rear subframe including a suitable transmission crossmember and fabricated firewall/tunnel be enough to meet ICV regs? And still retaining the essence of an MX5, ie keeping as much of the original car as possible.
                Using an LS would be the "easier" option, apart from changing the middle of the car to meet ICV regs.

Yeah this is dreaming stuff but I'm coming up to my mid life crisis and what better than tear a perfectly good car apart and do something stupid with it.

Comment

My terrible life advice would be buy a nice MX5, chuck a 1UZ in it neatly, don't make it sound like a drag car, don't make it look like a boy racer and fly underneath the radar and cross the legality bridge when/if you get caught.
                  I've met plenty of mid-life crisis guys over here running LS/SBC/1UZ swaps into MX5/Triumph/MG's which in no way would pass Roadworthy but get away with it perfectly fine because they aren't deathtaps driven buy dickheads with hellaflush stancebro

Comment

You have 2 MX5's. One set of plates. Then when you do the safety check, you bring the stock one. As a bonus, you get to have a choice of cars to drive.
                    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
                    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
                    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Offset grind the crank to reduce the 1uz's capacity
                      I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

0.75uz? Sounds fun.

Comment

The Yamaha/Ford(Mazda) v8, which I think is similar to the ovlov v8 used in supercars a couple years back, but 3.4 litre might be easier.....although harder to source here. Should be easier to fit between towers with the narrower vee too, but maybe there's an emissions stumbling block?

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                            0.75uz? Sounds fun.
                            You only need to take 0.2mm off the stroke so it's more of a 0.999uz
                            I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

The Honda 3.2 v6 conversion may be more practical and I'm pretty sure vtec yo would mean its not exactly shit either.
                              ---
                              Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Working...
                              X