Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS3 conversion into 2002 CV8 Monaro

I've purchased a fairly stock vx series CV8 Monaro. I'm about to convert it to an LS3 I've recently purchased and need some confirmation regarding the fuel system.

I'm using a 58x to 24x converter so I cam run the vx ecu. I've got all the vcm extension harnesses for knock sensors etc and have the mechanical side of things covered. I'm just unsure on the fuel system.

I'm going to be doing club sprints etc so I'm going to use an aeroflow external surge tank that allows you to use an 040 internal pump. My understanding is that the stock vx ls1 fuel pressure regulator is part of the tank? I know there is a dampner on the old ls1 rail.

I was going to use the stock in tank pump to supply the surge tank and then the 040 feeds from the surge tank to a filter then an aftermarket reg before running to the factory LS3 rail. The surge tank will return back to the main tank.

Does this sound right, and if so any guidance on desired pressure? Putting a cam and springs in as well to wake it up a bit.

Cheers
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

I used an aftermarket reg on my L98 and did the same thing and works fine as I'm still using a dead-head setup just that the reg is in the engine bay. Obviously it doesn't need to be there but that was the easiest place for me to put it. Stock pressure is 58psi I think. The later model fuel rail has some science inside it too that looks like a damper inside the metal tube.

Comment

Subscribed!
      Find your Freedom
      Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
      www.FreedomFunding.com.au
      www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
      If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Fwiw I’d be throwing a sump baffle in too while engine is out, from memory ‘Improved Racing’ was the hotness when I was buying parts for an LS2 build
        Originally posted by Faux Forg
        I agree with Rdyno

Comment

Should definitely go LSA just because
          Originally posted by brasher
          TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Is it wrong that id like to see one of these with a Stout Barra conversion?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
            I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by Milkman Don View Post
              Fwiw I’d be throwing a sump baffle in too while engine is out, from memory ‘Improved Racing’ was the hotness when I was buying parts for an LS2 build
              I have an improved racing sump, baffles, and crank scraper. Have done track work with sticky tyres and not gone bang yet. Looked like good gear too

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
                Is it wrong that id like to see one of these with a Stout Barra conversion?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                Isn't that another thread????

No, well maybe, but I too would also like to see something that would break the internet like a Barra in a Monaro, new or old.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                  I have an improved racing sump, baffles, and crank scraper. Have done track work with sticky tyres and not gone bang yet. Looked like good gear too
                  Yeah they are a well made unit, trapdoors etc. cheap insurance imo
                  Originally posted by Faux Forg
                  I agree with Rdyno

Comment

If you are returning to the fuel tank from the surge through the “return” from the fuel filter, you will need to remove the pump module and take the regulator out of it. Otherwise your surge tank wil be pressurised to 58psi which the Chinee welds will not like

Comment

And won't you be circulating a lot of fuel through the surge tank with an EFI pump, heating it excessively?

Comment

Improved racing sump baffle should be here any day along with adapter and thermostat for oil cooler.

Overheating the fuel is something I'm concerned with but have been told because all pumps will be submerged it may lessen this?

As for return from filter, that won't be the case as I will not be using the return style fuel filter. I'm running an aftermarket reg plus I'll fit a couple of aftermarket steel mesh filters. One between the tank and surge tank and one between surge tank and reg.

Thanks for all replies. I was told 60psi today which aligns closely with the 58psi mentioned above.

Seriously looked at putting the lsa in but would have not been able to keep it all under the bonnet!!
                        Shitter LX hatch
                        Perth, WA

Comment

Originally posted by bpm View Post
                          If you are returning to the fuel tank from the surge through the “return” from the fuel filter, you will need to remove the pump module and take the regulator out of it. Otherwise your surge tank wil be pressurised to 58psi which the Chinee welds will not like
                          I've just re-read your post and understand what you're saying. Thanks for that I will make sure I remove it.

When I can be fucked on the weekend I'll try put up a bit of a build thread.
                          Shitter LX hatch
                          Perth, WA

Comment

Fuel heating isn't caused by pumps being external, it's caused by fluid friction. Basically if you're pushing fluid through under pressure it builds heat, if you're circulating it in the system constantly under pressure it builds more heat. Having the fluid forced against sharp edges, that is having the fluid under pressure aimed at the edge of the surge tank or even at the fuel in the tank already, also heats it up.
                            Agitation/aeration=heat build up.

Comment

http://www.nzefi.com/product/vdo-tan...pump-pre-pump/

Something like this low pressure on tank pump may be a viable solution. As long as it will fit the factory pump cradle.
                              Shitter LX hatch
                              Perth, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X