Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 convertible engine swap Sunshine coast

Hi guys a while ago I was talking about doing an Ls2 engine swap into my e30 but I didn't get as much insurance for the cancer as I thought, after the house there was enough for the car and a bike. I've decided to sell my bike to fund an engine conversion as I find it hard to ride (on pain meds) so I should have 8000 to spend, I have access to a large shed for awhile so I need to get it done within 6 months I'd say as the shed will be sold next year.
    So I missed out on a sr20det e30 in Sydney recently which would of made it super easy

If anyone has any ideas that would be great, the only thing I care about is it has to be manual.
    Thanks guys

Sounds a good idea to buy an existing converted car or abandoned project. WTB advertisement on facebook E30 groups. Either that or a M5X conversion which could be done for $8k

Comment

agree with the above, esp if you only have 6 months shed time.

Having said that there are kits for the ls? conversion into an e30.

As above get on the e30 fb groups.
      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Bmw M50 I thought it's a pretty average engine so why spend the money and time on doing it, I think Sr20det would be the go, should be able to find one with a gearbox for 3000? From my research u can get engine and gearbox mounts and even prop shafts for the conversion. Then instead of wiring in the standard comouter pop a plug and plug aftermarket computer in or an Adaptronic etc
        The speeds run by the diff so that's an easy one, it more the labour I'd need a fair bit of help I'd be willing to pay cash or if I can't afford that sexual favours, but I do warn people my mouth only opens about 2 cms so u have to be small or like alot of teeth

Comment

I was actually thinking of the m54 3 litre. I purchased a 330i a few years ago sold off some parts and had an m54 engine and gearbox more or less for free. M50s are too old

You're correct has the SR20 swap has been done numerous times and mounts etc arpribably easily available.

Reckon there may be an SR20 kit floating around on the E30 Facebook group not being put to good use. Possibly place a wanted ad there

Comment

Happy to help with spannering/swearing on weekend days mate, I'm not too far away from the Sunny coast.

Comment

That would be amazing Andy I'll keep u updated!!

Comment

Ive been looking for cars and engines, sr20 and gearboxsd are quick expensive to start with so im also looking at other options, one is a 535 engine and then turbo it

Comment

ls1.
                  .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Can't afford an ls1 (and I'd want an Ls2) need close to 16k for that swap if not more

Comment

I've done a heap of research and I'm going to get an e34 535 and swap out the engine etc then jam a low psi turbo on it. Haven't figured out fuelling yet but should be nice and torquey which is what I wanted. Hopefully get an e34 with a manual, backup gearbox is always nice

Comment

Or an e28
                        Buggers are hard to find in manual and people seem to want decent money for them, its not like there anything special I'm suprised

Comment

probably buy a E46 330i manual for less.
                          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

what power are you after? would it not be cheaper to just shove 12 psi through an m20 or m42?
                            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post
                              what power are you after? would it not be cheaper to just shove 12 psi through an m20 or m42?
                              Or buy a S13 convertible?
                              "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Working...
                              X