NCOP engine size - actual vs official weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCOP engine size - actual vs official weight

How do engineers view the vehicle weight for engine conversions? Official fully equipped weight or actual stripped out weight?

Originally posted by megs View Post
    How do engineers view the vehicle weight for engine conversions? Official fully equipped weight or actual stripped out weight?
    Usually based off manufacturer documentation.

Comment

How close are you to the weight/engine you want?

Your RTA will have a list of weights for most vehicles, not easy to alter in your favour. Best speak to whoever is certifying the vehicle (engineer)

Comment

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/rvd-pre1999/
        I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 5.80 at 121mph

Comment

Thanks I'll contact the engineer. Tnhinking about one option is over 1100kg according the RVD sheet but has been stripped out.

Comment

What has been pulled out? What car/engine?

If you cant add useless weight to get a bigger engine in then pulling out non essential, non ADR related weight shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Tare weight of the heaviest sedan without options. The link Chuck posted is the most comprehensive llist unless you know someone with the books.

Comment

The only real wiggle room is with an import that was never sold here.
                I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 5.80 at 121mph

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
                  The only real wiggle room is with an import that was never sold here.
                  Or sold in the configuration of your imported car.

Comment

It all goes back to the Road Vehicle Descriptors completes as part of the ADR process. If it’s not in the RMS list then your next stop is to the Federal transport guys who manage the ADR process. They have a lot of historical docs and may be able to provide something.
                    ---
                    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

And if you want to go outside of the guidelines it counts as a heavily modified vehicle, so gets treated as an ICV with all of the additional testing that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Treeve View Post
                        And if you want to go outside of the guidelines it counts as a heavily modified vehicle, so gets treated as an ICV with all of the additional testing that comes with it.
                        I think it goes state by state.

I had the rego weight changed on my 300zx. It is an import and was not the same config as the ADM 300zx. The ADM ones were like 1590kg. mine being 2 seater and hard top is quite a bit lighter. I took useless crap out of the car, ran it low on fuel and got it reweighed, came in at 1380, this was enough to bring it down a class in rego.
                        All i needed was a print out from the local authorized weight station. I had the car inspected the day before and they simply just changed it for me.

Comment

Nope, pretty sure state by state when it comes to engine swaps they go off the manufacturers specifications. Tare weight for rego is a completely different kettle of fish, and I have seen probably over a hundred modified 4x4’s whose rego has gone up because they NEED 35” tyres, heavy duty axles, water pods, fridge and drawer systems, roof racks, shovels and high lift jacks to go to the shops.
                          VSB14 even states (section 2.13.1 of Section LA - Engines) “The mass of the vehicle ... is the original (unmodified) tare mass of the vehicle with the largest engine available for the model in Australia but without optional accessories ... should be based on the heaviest sedan version of the model” paraphrased.
                          So even your car, because it has an ADM equivalent would be treated off the Australian RVD for engine capacity modifications.

Comment

Working...
                          X