Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subaru into VW Kombi - who/where in Sydney?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subaru into VW Kombi - who/where in Sydney?

One of my good customers has a VW Kombi Camper with an original air cooled VW motor with a Weber carb that makes fuck all power and uses a disgusting amount of fuel.

He's interested in an engine conversion.

It has an automatic transmission, and he'd prefer to keep it as an auto.

Subaru engine conversion seems like a good idea. This is out of my scope of work, so I'm asking for recommendations who can do this as a drive-in drive-out here's the money kind of deal.

I've seen gearbox/transaxle conversions but they are all manuals...

Cheers.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
    Originally posted by nutttr
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

I stumbled upon some YouTube videos bout this conversion and it appears that there are a few kits available that make it a very simple job. Just depends on how keen you are on doing fuel system and ecu/wiring work.

I have no recommendations to give, but it may not be as much of an effort as you might think.

Comment

Problem is I don't have the spare workshop space, and i'm not setup for the mechanical side of things; no hoist, no engine crane, no welder, etc...

While I could work around those things, a vehicle blocking the workspace I have for 1, 2, 3 weeks would make my regular business a bit difficult to manage.
      Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
      Originally posted by nutttr
      People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

20 odd years ago i replied to a trading post ad for a 13B rotary. Get to the blokes house and this thing was in a vw kombi running on lpg. Took me for a drive, went hard. Coolest kombi ever. Your customer should do that, lol.

Comment

I hate Kombis but the one is almost cool thanks to the guy who put it together and some clever features. Interesting info about the gearbox too.
          If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/AGTEngineering/

This bloke works miracles with Subaru engines and has a thing for putting them in VW's. I don't think he'd do drive in drive out conversions but I reckon he would know where to look. He's in Newcastle so only a little out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by THE CHIEF View Post
              20 odd years ago i replied to a trading post ad for a 13B rotary. Get to the blokes house and this thing was in a vw kombi running on lpg. Took me for a drive, went hard. Coolest kombi ever. Your customer should do that, lol.
              Did you tell him he was dreaming?

Comment

Al of skid factory fame did one i recall.

But wouldn't do ye nsw engineering required

Comment

Guy I bought my Evo from in 2000 had this conversion to his work combi. It was running the H6 motor. I think Bosnajak Engineering did it.
                  "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                  (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                  Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

And ?

Comment

Custom bugs & busses in emu plains

Comment

Working...
                      X