Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Swap

I have a 1974 Torana fitted with a 253 / 4.2 Ltr V8. Fitted from the factory. I want to fit a 304 4.9 Ltr. I have bought a new Holden Crate engine. Just the bottom end The engine was manufactured in 1996. My question is. What pollution requirements do I have to adhere to. 1974 or 1996 ? Or is it just a straight swap at the DMT /. RMS as Toranas came out with a 308 ? I have asked quiet a few questions and have many different answers. The crate engine is a Holden replacement engine built in 1996 and never been in a registered vehicle. Interested in everyone’s thoughts or experiences
    Last edited by Wrighty; 03-04-21, 06:14 PM.

As it "has the same engine number " as the 253 (wink wink) you will have no problems. Just remember to also grind off the casting number.
    Last edited by awdmoke; 03-04-21, 06:41 PM.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Over thinking it. Stamp with old number and grind the one off the 253.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 50RTD
      Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

You will need to engineer it, as it never came with that engine. It will require all the emission stuff from 1996, or do what the other 2 guys said
        you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Fuck even telling rta what you've done. Even if you get pulled over they're not going to say shit because it looks basically the same.

Put it in and drive it

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

A set of injected heads+ cam.+ pipes and a carby and off you go

Comment

If it doesnt have an engine number and was never factory fitted to a car its a spare part and has no emissions to comply with other than the car. No different to anyone building a Dart SBC.

Me, I would just put it in and move on with life.

If I were concerned about the engine number I would buy a blown up 308 and use it's number or just have the RMS issue you a number but the important thing is that they are aware its not from a vehicle and was purchased as spares.

If the 2shitty3 is the matching number engine I would park it under a bench and never part with it.

Comment

reckon chartreusehj is on the money. treat it as a 1996 manufacture 253 or 308 crate engine. if it was a complete engine out of a VS commodore it'd be 1996 emissions

Comment

Originally posted by chartreusehj View Post
                  No different to anyone building a Dart SBC
                  I've always wondered how aftermarket blocks work... Is that legit? Buy a brand new dart block to replace a factory SBC block and it's essentially treated as an oe replacement in terms of emissions etc?

Does that also apply to a crate motor that uses an aftermarket block?
                  Originally posted by myshortyboomba
                  I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

what did the block set you back?

Just opened up the bottom of a vt 304 that has never done a single km and it is fucking mint on the inside:

Click image for larger version

Name:	170043096_1416486675351103_7811606118708045142_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=qnbNU0MpG7oAX_07lJH&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel7-1.fna&oh=13786eed8dc8f9f0dfa8142e44491582&oe=6093841E.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	7242716
                    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

fuck me thats nice. whats the plan for it mate?
                      I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...
                      WANTED: HOLDEN CALIBRA - WHAT YA GOT?
                      robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Sell it I think.
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

How sure are you that its a VT block?

Comment

Prefix shouldbe VN or VM iirc

Comment

And raised lifter bores?

Comment

Working...
                              X